Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Teslas FSD module upgrade path?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Tesla used car website, Autopilot means AP1, HW1 with 1 camera and not upgradable to FSD.

However, be aware that as of this year, there is another new kind of Autopilot that is standard and included in 2019 Model 3. This new "Autopilot" has HW3 as of 4/12/2019, 8 cameras and upgradable to FSD.

Original AP is HW1
New AP is HW3 as of 4/12/2019

But Tesla doesn't call them "original" nor "new" so we have to figure out which AP this is.

Yes, EAP is upgradable to FSD.

But if I were to buy a used one, I don't just buy one listed with EAP only. I would buy one listed as "Full Self-Driving Capability"

On Tesla used car website, that means FSD was paid and Tesla will do whatever it will take to get you FSD function such as swapping out the HW2.0, HW2.5... for HW3.

That way, you can skip an extra step of how to get Tesla to take your money for FSD after you prove that you are an owner an Enhanced AP.

But since you are interested in technology, I would skip buying a used one and just get a new Model 3 and you'll be all set because you'll get HW3 as of production date 4/12/2019.

Good luck!

Good tips. I can't get over Model 3 having NO dashboard and having nothing but screen inside. That i can't get over. It reminds me of prius inside. Nope for me. Also i like having informational panel in eyes line of sight, where dashboard is so you can glance at it by moving eyes down. To the side is not great design IMO. It's same movement as texting and driving. I don't like this.

Also S model looks way better inside and sexy Aston martin look alike outside IMO and it's still cheaper to buy pre-owned. Is hatchback, has air suspension Model 3 lacks.
Model 3 is a big NO for me. Also i get free supercharging with S model. Most of the value of the car is also lost in first 2 years, 1 year especially so one gets a discount on that as well.

...S model.

Then for simplicity, I would recommend getting "Full Self-Driving Capability". There's no need to worry about how to get Tesla accepting your money to upgrade to FSD.

...wait it out a year with hope Tesla will upgrade CPO fleet to FSD/HW3 module in order to have higher sales of those CPO fleets vehicles they have for sale...

There have been reports that Tesla has been giving used car owners a hard time when they want Tesla to take perfectly good money for FSD upgrade purchase.

Ed Z on Twitter

Was just told that AP 2.0 won't get FSD.

Inventory 2018 MX - Unable to add autopilot?

These could be isolated incidences but why go through the headache.

About future FSD price:

Tesla announced that you can lease but you have to return the car with no option to buy.

Then, it says it'll have 1 million robotaxi next year.

So it could be that Tesla is serious about it by starting building up a robotaxi fleet now.

Tesla demonstrated that FSD price could be lowered already but it also hiked it back up right away.

When FSD will work out really well and make money as owners would sleep at home while their cars sneak out of their garages to pick up rides, will the value of FSD be down or up?

I'm no good at predicting the future of this goose that laid the Golden Eggs!

Reactions: Rango
This does look like FSD to me. Guy didn't even touch the steering wheel for whole drive. Granted this is model 3 with latest FSD module and Tesla 2 chips. Still very impressive.

Give them another 8 months to ramp up the production of this FSD module and it will be here for rest of the models. Obviously their priority will be current production so who knows how they will handle upgrades. That's probably why current owners are having hard time as they're prioritizing new sales vs onces that already been sold which they put on back burner.

I'm curious if they will add that NEW FSD module to their CPO used fleet in order to boost sales of their listed used fleet.

...I'm curious if they will add that NEW FSD module to their CPO used fleet in order to boost sales of their listed used fleet...

I think that depends on Tesla's goal.

If it wants expiring leased car back that means it wants to have a fleet of their own when they talk about 1 million cars.

To meet that number, maybe they'll prioritize which will get HW3:

1) New car production
2) Grandfathered owners with HW2, HW2.5
3) take back the unsold HW2/2.5 Tesla used cars for their own robotaxi fleet.
4) Discourage purchasing FSD option for used cars owners...

I think that depends on Tesla's goal.

If it wants expiring leased car back that means it wants to have a fleet of their own when they talk about 1 million cars.

To meet that number, maybe they'll prioritize which will get HW3:

1) New car production
2) Grandfathered owners with HW2, HW2.5
3) take back the unsold HW2/2.5 Tesla used cars for their own robotaxi fleet.
4) Discourage purchasing FSD option for used cars owners...

I think they wanna use Model 3 for robo taxi as it has nothing on the inside one can steal, very little to damage and if it can then it's cheap to replace. Not so with Model S. Also drive train is made for 1M miles, Elon said. I think Model S is too expensive for robo taxi but maybe they will use all. I think Robo taxi is few years away. Elon is jumping a gun a bit. I'm referring to once they have for sale on their website. If they don't wanna sell it they won't list it but it would be good if they swap that CPU for FSD. I mean then they get my interest obviously.

Reactions: D.E.
You think that's impressive, you should have seen what they did two years ago to get a bunch of suckers to take the bait!

Tesla Self-Driving Demonstration

Damn, that's the same thing but with model S. I bet all those routes are pre-mapped /geo-fenced so car knows how to behave. Model 3 is more smooth it seems but model S did well.

Looks like independent owners youtube testing is best way to go as at least that's real not some tesla demonstration. Thanks for posting that. Now i don't trust them 100%.

So you guys think Full Self Drive is still few years away? You guys are not impressed with latest model 3 or you've seen this before in 2016 and your own experience says otherwise.

...Model S is too expensive for robo taxi...

The robotaxi app gives you a choice of 3, S, X but the 3 is the nearest 4 minutes in this example below:

capture-decran-2019-04-23-a-10-12-48.png

...impressed...

Science requires proof and repeatability, not just theory.

Tesla has not been able to prove that their system can reliably do all those things that they said both in 2016 and now in 2019.

Yes, they can do it in a video demo but not repeatable by average youtubers.

However, this time is different. In 2016, they didn't have the codes for Traffic Lights and Stop Sign automatic compliance. This year they do as deciphered by code gurus.

So, there's been definitely progress.

We don't know until all those youtubers can demonstrate that this science lecture is repeatable on the roads, and not just in our minds.