Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Teslas now 1 year / 10k mile warranties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if we make lemonade from lemons this should make Loaners a lot more available. I always assumed loaners went away because they sell everything as fast as they could

That would be nice. Not holding my breath tho. I don’t think they have been using the used fleet as loaners in a couple of years now. I remember the drama it used to cause back when I ordered a used car from the website years ago, though. They contacted the person who had it as a loaner to have them return it, THEN found a big dent/scratch in the rear quarter panel and had to call me and tell me to pick a different car.

So, they no longer provide photos, you can’t test drive the used car before purchase and now you only get a 10000 mile warranty? Lord, they really don’t want to sell those.

The warranty was in line with other CPO programs, even though Tesla no longer reconditioned the cars. Teslas used cars were also priced like CPOs, so you were paying for that warranty. I expect they will have to drop prices to move cars now.

They are going to have to drop price, otherwise buying used makes no sense.

I have a '13 S that I bought used a couple years ago, has a warranty through 12/31/20. I have had many warranty repairs, costing about $5K total (I only paid $31K for the car). The most recent was this week when the air conditioning valve failed. Estimated cost was $750, covered under warranty. I have had the CPU fail (more than $2K), and the door handles fail multiple times. So there is no way I am keeping this past the warranty expiration. I love the car, but it is a bit of a lemon.

I was looking the other day at used Long Range models. But with the price cuts, I can get a new S at 69,420 (+1,500 to get a different color), and I get a full warranty, plus 400 miles of range. The used Long Range get up to remaining warranty plus 1 / 10,000, with much less range. And I have learned that range is everything in these cars. They do seem to be loading the used cars with FSD, but I am not that interested in that feature. I suspect the used prices will be coming down soon.

Reactions: DanCar
So, they no longer provide photos, you can’t test drive the used car before purchase and now you only get a 10000 mile warranty? Lord, they really don’t want to sell those.

The warranty was in line with other CPO programs, even though Tesla no longer reconditioned the cars. Teslas used cars were also priced like CPOs, so you were paying for that warranty. I expect they will have to drop prices to move cars now.

Other CPO programs gave you 4 years and 50k mile warranties without having to purchase the extended warranty? That hasn’t been my experience.

• Disagree
Reactions: henderrj and glide
They are going to have to drop price, otherwise buying used makes no sense.

I have a '13 S that I bought used a couple years ago, has a warranty through 12/31/20. I have had many warranty repairs, costing about $5K total (I only paid $31K for the car). The most recent was this week when the air conditioning valve failed. Estimated cost was $750, covered under warranty. I have had the CPU fail (more than $2K), and the door handles fail multiple times. So there is no way I am keeping this past the warranty expiration. I love the car, but it is a bit of a lemon.

I was looking the other day at used Long Range models. But with the price cuts, I can get a new S at 69,420 (+1,500 to get a different color), and I get a full warranty, plus 400 miles of range. The used Long Range get up to remaining warranty plus 1 / 10,000, with much less range. And I have learned that range is everything in these cars. They do seem to be loading the used cars with FSD, but I am not that interested in that feature. I suspect the used prices will be coming down soon.

Well that is a pretty early model. My Jan 2017 has been very good. (Until I probably jinxed it just now.)

Last edited:
^Oh, and I'm kinda one of them haha!

Maybe it is just to deter people like me from going used? Comparing new to used the used had ZERO downsides, and my decision to get used directly from Tesla was because of the 4 year/50k mile warranty. I'm not dropping 70k+ for a car with little to no warranty. If the warranty stays this way my wife will be getting a new 3 (probably LR) vs a used (I was wanting to get a performance) with significantly less warranty.

I have no problems with a legitimate discussion. When you decide to offer that, we can have one.
We cannot have one if you don’t take issue with Tesla screwing their existing customers and making ownership less palatable for perspective customers. It goes against their entire mission statement and makes the company look like worse than Amazon.

We cannot have one if you don’t take issue with Tesla screwing their existing customers and making ownership less palatable for perspective customers. It goes against their entire mission statement and makes the company look like worse than Amazon.
What “existing customer” was “screwed” by Tesla changing warranty terms on used car purchases after a certain date?

You’re just making stuff up.

What “existing customer” was “screwed” by Tesla changing warranty terms on used car purchases after a certain date?

You’re just making stuff up.
Existing customers have been denied legitimate claims for battery warranties.

Existing customers have also seen a precipitous drop in customer and vehicle service.

If you think that is made up; have some more kool aide.

Irrelevant to current discussion of Tesla’s business practices? Haha! Okay.
Irrelevant to the current discussion of changing warranty terms for used car purchases moving forward. Keep up - it’s not hard. The thread title is quite clear.

As for “Existing customers have been denied legitimate claims for battery warranties” - based on your non-response I’m going to assume my initial assertion was correct and you just flatly made this up.

Irrelevant to the current discussion of changing warranty terms for used car purchases moving forward. Keep up - it’s not hard. The thread title is quite clear.

As for “Existing customers have been denied legitimate claims for battery warranties” - based on your non-response I’m going to assume my initial assertion was correct and you just flatly made this up.
Why don’t you search the forum, or general internet, for “Tesla warranty denied”? Do you need me to hold your hand? If you don’t see they have scummy business (and labor) practices, then nothing I say or show you will change your mind. But that doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

Extended warranty denied because I did not do the scheduled inspections

Tesla Changes Warranty Terms To Shield Against Recent Issues

Why don’t you search the forum, or general internet, for “Tesla warranty denied”? Do you need me to hold your hand? If you don’t see they have scummy business (and labor) practices, then nothing I say or show you will change your mind. But that doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

Tesla Changes Warranty Terms To Shield Against Recent Issues

The first thread you linked to is about someone who was denied the right to purchase the optional extended service agreement 50,000 miles later because they didn’t perform the then-required annual maintenance in the first 50,000 miles (which was clearly noted as a requirement in the purchase conditions for the ESA). It has absolutely nothing to do with your initial statement of “existing customers have been denied legitimate claims for battery warranties” - which we can now pretty safely state you completely made up.

Additionally - had you actually read the thread in question, you’d note that Tesla actually conceded and allowed the OP to purchase the ESA in any case.

The second article discusses the apparently shocking fact that warranty terms change over time.

Setting aside that not being shocking, the article clearly quotes the relevant section of the warranty document that makes your made up claim about battery warranties being denied based on revised terms impossible:

“Any Model S or Model X purchased prior to the effective date specified on the cover page of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty is subject to the applicable Battery and Drive Unit Warranty effective as of the date of purchase.”

Move on, friend. You’re obviously hurt and angry, but that’s no excuse to just make things up.

Last edited:
The first thread you linked to is about someone who was denied the right to purchase the optional extended service agreement 50,000 miles later because they didn’t perform the then-required annual maintenance in the first 50,000 miles (which was clearly noted as a requirement in the purchase conditions for the ESA). It has absolutely nothing to do with your initial statement of “existing customers have been denied legitimate claims for battery warranties” - which we can now pretty safely state you completely made up.

Additionally - had you actually read the thread in question, you’d note that Tesla actually conceded and allowed the OP to purchase the ESA in any case.

The second article discusses the apparently shocking fact that warranty terms change over time.

Setting aside that not being shocking, the article clearly quotes the relevant section of the warranty document that makes your made up claim about battery warranties being denied based on revised terms impossible:

“Any Model S or Model X purchased prior to the effective date specified on the cover page of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty is subject to the applicable Battery and Drive Unit Warranty effective as of the date of purchase.”

Move on, friend. You’re obviously hurt and angry, but that’s no excuse to just make things up.
Whatever you say. You asked for evidence I provided it, and you’re upset because it doesn’t fit in with your narrative of “Tesla can do no wrong”.

Tesla fanbois fall in the same category as flat earthers.

Whatever you say. You asked for evidence I provided it, and you’re upset because it doesn’t fit in with your narrative of “Tesla can do no wrong”.

Tesla fanbois fall in the same category as flat earthers.
You provided nothing.

I can link to a random unrelated thread on the forum too, doesn’t mean it has anything to do with what we’re discussing or proves any point decipherable to those capable of reason.

This is why @jelloslug thinks you need to move on. Must say I’ve come to agree.You’re lying, making stuff up, derailing threads with unrelated misinformation and playground insults, plus this whole scorned victim act. Yawn.

I've been pretty actively looking at the CPO Model S while waiting for my Cybertruck. But with this warranty change they're way less attractive, especially since the prices have stayed essentially the same. Maybe an entry level Model 3 for a stopgap. Personally wish they would make a standard range AWD and just drop the RWD variant. After having a Subaru I don't want to downgrade to 2WD.

• Informative
Reactions: TimT