Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Waze On Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, we did a road trip from Noosa to Newcastle last week in our E Class Benz and used Waze the whole way. It was terrific for navigation and reminding us of both permanent and mobile speed cameras. I don't think Tesla supports Waze but I could be wrong, does anyone know the best way of replicating the Waze experience (as per Apple Play on other vehicles) on Tesla? Cheers.

Last edited:
No.

I think the other poster just mean having Waze open on your phone and putting it on the charging pad or have a phone mount where you can see it better.
Thanks. Yes i sort of realised that, but it's not the same as having it on the big screen. With all the brains on this forum I was sure someone had devised a way of running it. It's a shame Tesla doesn't offer more real time road, traffic and police alerts.

I usually drive with Waze open on my phone on the charging mat and find it very helpful for cameras, broken down cars, hazards in road including potholes.
Occasionally I glance to check what it thinks the speed limit is when Tesla is showing me something unlikely, seems to be more accurate too.
I would love an option to have the UGC (user generated content) of Waze overlaid on the Tesla nav screen.

I have Teslogic and most of the time I use tesla navigation but with waze running on the background on the phone so it will give sound alert via bluetooth. If I want to see waze map for some reason I use siri voice command to ask to bring Waze on the screen instead of the teslogic.

Tesla navigation is good but wont ever be as good as Waze without a user generated content. Tesla is very slow even to correct its map that are outdated for years.

You can get Apple Car Play/Android Auto with the Carlink kit ...you need to buy the one specific for Tesla...newer version doesnt need a sim card either ...you basically connect to phone & use carplay through the browser on the screen...i drive about 250km a day for work & it works well
Doesn’t the browser shut down when drive?

You'll notice that the people who are suggesting using the car web browser to use Waze or Carplay are not from Australia. This is an Australian subforum & the OP is from Australia. In Australia, the web browser is disabled when the car is being driven, so these solutions won't work.

I use Waze & Pocket Casts on my phone in the car. Waze is on screen & Pocket Casts has podcasts queued up ready to play before starting to drive. To do this, I made my own charging phone mount using parts of other mounts: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3pxj0y1v?p=62#r1240. This allows me to see the phone & it doesn't overheat like it does in the Tesla charging bay.

You'll notice that the people who are suggesting using the car web browser to use Waze or Carplay are not from Australia. This is an Australian subforum & the OP is from Australia. In Australia, the web browser is disabled when the car is being driven, so these solutions won't work.

I use Waze & Pocket Casts on my phone in the car. Waze is on screen & Pocket Casts has podcasts queued up ready to play before starting to drive. To do this, I made my own charging phone mount using parts of other mounts: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3pxj0y1v?p=62#r1240. This allows me to see the phone & it doesn't overheat like it does in the Tesla charging bay.
Missed the Australia part - sorry OP!

Waze is delivered over Carplay and/or Android Auto. Tesla refuses to allow this, so your best option is a phone cradle. Yes, it makes you feel a bit like an Uber driver and is a strange anachronism on a $70,000 car.
As far as I know every other EV in australia or arriving this yesr has carplay/android auto. There is a clear shift to a long skinny screen on all new cars. The plan by apple/google is that the car brands can remove themselves from software and just provide hardware. I think only tesla and GM are refusing to use the carplay software.

Reactions: positiv