Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V 10 lane changing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With V9, I had almost no problems with lane changes and the car's speed through a curve. (This is plain AP - there are few opportunities for NoA where I live.) I was looking forward to V10 for Smart Summon; but the lane change and taking a curve features are now pretty bad. I put the turn signal down all the way (as I've always done), and the car starts to change lanes and thens go back, even with NO traffic in the other lane. Also, like YouTuber All Electric, I find that the car decelerates too much going into the curve, increases a bit in the middle and decelerates again coming out of the curve - the opposite of what it should do and what it used to do. This was in 2019.32.11.1. I hoped that there would be an update to correct this and was glad when 2019.32.12.1 came out. However, not only did it not correct the curve speed problem but added the lane change problem. I wish I could back to 2019.32.2.2. Or that Tesla reads all of these posts and another update comes out.

With V9, I had almost no problems with lane changes and the car's speed through a curve. (This is plain AP - there are few opportunities for NoA where I live.) I was looking forward to V10 for Smart Summon; but the lane change and taking a curve features are now pretty bad. I put the turn signal down all the way (as I've always done), and the car starts to change lanes and thens go back, even with NO traffic in the other lane. Also, like YouTuber All Electric, I find that the car decelerates too much going into the curve, increases a bit in the middle and decelerates again coming out of the curve - the opposite of what it should do and what it used to do. This was in 2019.32.11.1. I hoped that there would be an update to correct this and was glad when 2019.32.12.1 came out. However, not only did it not correct the curve speed problem but added the lane change problem. I wish I could back to 2019.32.2.2. Or that Tesla reads all of these posts and another update comes out.
I do fully agree with the speed in curves. V10 was a big step backward in that regard, but I’ve had a completely different experience with lane changes; for me, v10 has been quite an improvement for lane changes in my local area.

Accelerating from a dead stop when you’re behind a car at a stoplight with TACC engaged is also much better.

Even though speed through curves was a very large regression compared to v9, overall v10 improves the AP experience quite a bit over v9. But when you think about how small the improvements are from v9 to v10, and then think about the huge amount of functionality that still needs to be added, it appears that we are still years away from FSD. I think Elon’s statement of being “feature complete” by the year end is, unfortunately, another big miss for the FSD timeline.

Reactions: Jake AZ
Posted elsewhere already...but this seems like an appropriate place for this.

On 2019.32.11.1, lane changes are really bad. Lots of swerving and reattempting. I have videos but would have to post them.

1) Nevada and California I-15
2) Seemed independent of time of day but dark conditions might have been a bit better.
3) NoA without ULC. Manually commanded lane changes.
4) Not related to traffic as far as I can tell.
5) Seemed to happen in both directions (left/right)
6) Not related to torque (I got one brief message to apply torque (the prelim message) during the 1200 miles of driving). I played around with this just to make sure - I only succeeded in disengaging Autopilot. The torque requirements are not extreme with ULC off.

I signal, it starts to change, hits the line, swerves back, tries again, swerves back, tries again, finally completes. Sometimes I just take over if it is too humiliating.

Happened probably 100 times. I issued about 30 bug reports.
This, exactly. I figured out what it is (see my prior post in this thread). Hope they fix it soon-- it's still terrible in 2019.32.12.2

In SoCal, that is a signal for the drivers in the other lane to accelerate quickly to block any excess space. :rolleyes:
There are plenty of dipsticks out here in Arizona that do the same. And just about everywhere, I expect. But there are plenty of others who are just fine letting someone in. If I had my druthers, I'd just as soon slot in front of someone who is okay with me being there, rather than someone who is of the opinion that I'm getting "in their way".

With 2019.32.12.2 I feel like lane changes are much smoother. Definitely room for improvement when using NOA though but that will be a huge challenge. As others mentioned so many drivers seem to speed up/not allow for the car to lane change. This requires a human to be a bit more aggressive with that lane change. At a certain point, being on NOA is more of an inconvenience to me.

With 2019.32.12.2 late night Saturday, cars spaced out but moving fast, under NAP I signaled my approval of a
proposed lane change to right. As car started to move into right lane, I saw in rear view mirror a car with its head lights
approaching me at high rate of speed, preparing to pass me on right. I manually aborted the lane change by forcing the steering wheel to the left, dropping out of AP, and he passed me on right going perhaps 20 mph faster than me.

My concern is that AP apparently never saw the car rapidly approaching from my rear, no alert. The side rear-facing cameras are angled such that their view of this car would have been poor at best, but the backup camera should have picked him up pretty fast. The fact that the cartoon display of cars around you does not extend very far to the rear bothers me, with the possibility that the system is not seeing stuff further back than the display shows.

Do we know whether AP is currently processing video from the backup camera? In general this release has been good for me, but this incident was unnerving. Plenty of room for improvement!

Today I tried Auto Steer on a local 4-lane road (2 each way) with good lane markings. A car coming the other way made a routine left turn in front of me into a side driveway. There was plenty of room, perhaps 80 yards, so I was not at all concerned. I was pleasantly surprised, however, when AP responded to this car in front of me, automatically slowing briefly and then resuming when the road was clear. This is a big improvement over behavior reported last year, when AP seemingly ignored cross traffic and stationary vehicles.