Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 Impressions from those who have installed the update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Overall, I'm quite happy with v10. Here are my main points

1a) Basic AP is way more smooth when environment changes. When a car merges in front, it backs off slowly, doesn't actively brake. It also slows further in advance/more gradually for stopped traffic. Elon said v10 would improve lane offset for situations like being in a moving HOV lane next to slow traffic. I think it might be doing that a little bit, but prefer to hug the left line. I'm impressed overall - It is getting awfully close to passing the Turing test.

1b) I am also getting very few nag warnings, despite reports of increased frequency. I wonder if they decreased the resistance needed. I always rest a hand lightly on the wheel and v9 would decide that wasn't sufficient once every 10 min or so. Now I can easily go 30 min w/o nag.

2) NoA still makes dumb lane change recommendations. I hadn't used it in 6 months due to poor utility and it only took a few minutes on v10 to decide to maneuver me behind slower cars for no apparent reason.

3) Smart Summon works great in simple circumstances. (Back out of a spot and drive down an aisle). I don't use it around moving cars due to poor etiquette. Seems crazy to be disappointed that it's not better than this for a first release. Of course it's gimmicky for now. The quickest way to get a great SS is to get a minimum-viable SS gathering data and letting the NN learn what works and doesn't. If we demand a perfect SS in v1, we can wait until 2025.

4) Spotify sound over LTE is much improved over my old Bluetooth connection from my phone (which I was happy with). The interface on the screen is clunky but I assume will improve.

5) Impressed with the Netflix integration. Smooth to use, but the sound is what grabbed me. Way better than my family room setup. I didn't think I would use this much, but turns out I wait around to pick up my kids from activities more often than I thought! I would definitely pay that $100/yr for LTE the connectivity to keep Spotify and Netflix streaming.

6) The adjustable visualization panel is kinda cool, but does anyone know the point of it? I haven't figured out why they would put effort into that in the first place.

7) Joe mode was too soft for me. Turned regular chimes back on

Two notable improvements:
1. Autopilot following a car that has stopped in traffic. The car (with v10) accelerates more forcefully maintaining the following distance. I no longer need to prompt/urge the car to follow the car ahead me with a tap of the accelerator (before on v9 it usually lags).
2. New to me. "Joe Mode" under safety & security. It makes the Autopilot chimes volume more soft. I believe the chimes do not sound from the rear speakers anymore. I would hope that this applies to other warnings such as hitting the speed limiter chime. Usually the passenger in the back say, "slow down," immediately afterwards. It be best that the driver is privy to this information.
A couple more improvements:
3. Autopilot (v10) finally can handle a triple lane merge (dedicated bus stop "lane" + two lane merge) and seems to recognize lane merge arrows. v9 usually puts me close to jumping the sidewalk (red flashing wheel + driver intervention).
4. Web browser can watch video when parked (related to Youtube and Netflix being enabled). I can watch Vimeo Livestream via the web browser when in park. Putting car in drive stops/pauses the recording.
5. Autopilot (v10) handles 'cut-ins' well now. Following distance at "1" and car nicely opens up a gap if the driver ahead nudges / hints a cut in. Car seems to anticipate cut-ins. [As a sidenote, v9.32, autopilot does a really good job anticipating cut in say across a double white HOV lane with a 30+mph speed differential. I got phantom braking, but sure enough each time the car cut-in behind me. Like it read the other drivers mind.] The car hugs the bumper, not close for comfort, eases up, and opens the gap back to the prescribed following distance.

One of the more encouraging improvements that I have seen is that Autopilot seems to handle traversing through intersections MUCH better. And I KNOW.... Autopilot isn't meant for this application so Knightshade don't even waste your time reminding the forum of this.

Prior to V10 the car would almost ALWAYS wants to pull you from the right lane to the left lane when travelling through an intersection which any sort of slight bend to the left. It's as if it was confusing the left hand marker on the other side of the intersection as the right hand lane marker.

In V10 it will sometimes START to pull left but it will then correct itself. So it seems to be learning. I have 4 of these intersections on my daily commute and it now handles 3 out of 4 of them properly about 95% of the time. It still struggles with one though - I've yet to see it work in this particular intersection.

Every day I "dumb summoned" my car out for one year. Often I had to issue summon command twice, but that was ok.
The "smart summon" did this.
No human behind the wheel.
There was no sudden change in surrounding as suddenly I saw the wheels turn and car move in a turned way at this spot.
The damage is minor for the car, and major(and not so smart) for the emotions of my family :)

Using paid customers as your free beta testers is a shame. TEST MORE! THIS IS RISKY.
Using paid customers as your free beta testers when they have to now OWN the REPAIR COST is F-ing ridiculous.

Yes, there was the disclaimer in the V10 version's "Smart Summon (Beta)" writeup. That is why I was watching and I lifted the finger. But there is a lag before car stops AND the turn the car took was rather abrupt and fast.

On the good side, V10 is way better (smoother, and faster) on on and off ramps. It performs way better . on left turns and follows the car ahead nicer when a red light turns green.

But, I'll be paying for the "dumb repairs due to smart summon".

No lag for me at all.

The car didn't make a decision to damage itself.

I hate to see the damage to your car, but I'm so tired of hearing people blame objects for their situation.

Thankfully people have stopped blaming cigarettes for cancer and hopefully "soon" will stop blaming technology for any shortcomings controlled by people.

No lag for me at all.

The car didn't make a decision to damage itself.

I hate to see the damage to your car, but I'm so tired of hearing people blame objects for their situation.

Thankfully people have stopped blaming cigarettes for cancer and hopefully "soon" will stop blaming technology for any shortcomings controlled by people.

Let's cut the crap -- (1) smart summon is a harder algorithmic problem than dumb summon, and (2) curving the car automatically in smart summon clearly seem to have BLIND SPOTS. For example, there are no sensors on and around the wheels. A sensor on or around front wheel may have seen the side of the garage!

Not sure about anyone, and neither I care, but to me, THIS is not "smart", not even "beta" in most productions.

This conversation is done on my end; eager only for solutions after the incident and not on commentary regarding the incident. :)

Reactions: jebinc
Let's cut the crap -- (1) smart summon is a harder algorithmic problem than dumb summon, and (2) curving the car automatically in smart summon clearly seem to have BLIND SPOTS. For example, there are no sensors on and around the wheels. A sensor on or around front wheel may have seen the side of the garage!

Not sure about anyone, and neither I care, but to me, THIS is not "smart", not even "beta" in most productions.

This conversation is done on my end; eager only for solutions after the incident and not on commentary regarding the incident. :)

Did you know about the lack or sensors and radar before you used it?

Aren't the instructions from Tesla to watch out for objects and such while using it?

I'm serious. Why are people using it if they don't like it?

New V10 2019.32.11.1 M3 LR RWD no FSD.

Change gears, reboot, power off.... Nothing has been able to cleart black backup reverse camera.
IMG_20191003_121450__01.jpg

Good point. I will lower my expectations! The artists shown appear random and incomplete, so will need to learn how to compensate.

Spotify seems to be smart and knows when you're playing on a different device. I wonder if you could use your phone to pick the song and have it still play on the Tesla via it's internal LTE? Kind of like how that Spotify Remote website use to allow you to control your phone from the Tesla web browser.

Allot of manufacturers dont even let you typ. on the screen while the vehicles in motion. You really think a manufacture will allow you to play games and read song lyrics while driving....

Caraoke worked while driving for me. I was just listening to the music as I was driving and I should never be allowed to sing at any time, but the lyrics were scrolling just as you would expect ...

New V10 2019.32.11.1 M3 LR RWD no FSD.

Change gears, reboot, power off.... Nothing has been able to cleart black backup reverse camera.View attachment 462342
Yes that has always been affected by updates. I have the same issue on my rear camera also the now recorded rear camera is out of focus I'm about to contact service or maybe everyone is having the same issue.Let me know how is your rear recorded quality.

After charging for a few hours camera came back.

Previously I reboot it 3x and even powered off to no avail.
As far as I know, reboot only affects the MCU (so the hardware that runs the screen). If there is a problem with the autopilot software or other firmware, the only thing you can do is let the car get into sleep mode by turning off things like sentry mode.