Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 is coming with "Caraoke" -- A functioning music player would also be nice :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting super excited about the impending V10! Apparently "Caraoke" is going to be a part of V10 so that should make road trips extra fun :) I hope V10 retains the ability to always keep the review camera active.

While toys and games are used perhaps <5% of the time you are in the car, the music player is used nearly 100% of the time I'm in the car and I wish V10 shows some love to the music payer by fixing the USB music player resuming music when you get back in the car along with playlist support.

If they can fix the music player and perhaps add playlist and Spotify support, it would make such a huge improvement with the software experience in the car -- more than Caraoke or any other games they are adding.

We just got back from a trip to Shenandoah National Park and we had no cellphone reception most of the time, so the USB music player was how we listened to music. This made us realize the importance of a functioning music player and is the most important improvement in V10 that l'll be looking for...

As exciting as it is to see new features added, I really hope they finally fix the music player and USB music playback in version 10. Does anyone know if we can expect any media player improvements in Version 10?

Last edited:
Karaoke is an interesting add but still hoping for a meaningful entertainment update and I think most would vote for Spotify. The USB music player weaknesses would be less of a problem if we had Spotify in the US. I have good LTE where I travel 99% of the time but I still use USB often just because Slacker even with a premium subscription is pretty terrible.

Karaoke is an interesting add but still hoping for a meaningful entertainment update and I think most would vote for Spotify. The USB music player weaknesses would be less of a problem if we had Spotify in the US. I have good LTE where I travel 99% of the time but I still use USB often just because Slacker even with a premium subscription is pretty terrible.

I agree, Spotify would be very nice but you would be streaming compressed audio when USB audio offers high quality lossless music capability.

Don't underestimate the importance of a functioning USB media player for many customers though. We live in the Washington DC area with great 4G connectivity but it doesn't take much driving away from the city, especially around the Shenandoah Mountains, to completely lose cellphone reception.

The USB music player is our primary source of music and they just need to fix the resuming and needless drive scanning to fix most of our issues. Playlist support wold be awesome. None of these are that hard to implement and would be a tremendous improvement for customers who use USB audio for music, books, and podcasts.

Fixing the couple of major issues with the USB audio player should be a lot easier than some of the toys and games they have added...

Tesla has had obvious bugs in the USB media player since we received our first model S in early 2013 - and seems no closer to fixing the "resume from sleep" loss of current source/file/position.

Screen mirroring is a bigger problem - and something Tesla needs to address soon since all competing EVs will likely have Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto.

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV
I am getting super excited about the impending V10! Apparently "Caraoke" is going to be a part of V10 so that should make road trips extra fun :) I hope V10 retains the ability to always keep the review camera active.
[...]
As exciting as it is to see new features added, I really hope they finally fix the music player and USB music playback in version 10. Does anyone know if we can expect any media player improvements in Version 10?
Be careful what you wish for, re: 'caraoke'. Every new feature brings probability of messing up something that used to work (regression testing is evidently not in Tesla's engineering vocabulary)

When they first introduced the Atari games, it messed up something to do with audio volume - i.e. after playing an Atari game, every time you'd shift gears the music player volume would change. 100% reproducible, condition would persist until a reboot. thankfully that bug seems to have gone away with recent software update (I don't say "fixed", since that implies some skillful intent...)

Yes, Elon! Give us more useless nonsense! I wish he ordered the whole engineering team to port Half Life onto the MCU, that'll give them some work for a while. Forget bugs and crap testing.

Can't wait to hear about all the bugs in this release. At least the car will be really fun to sit in while rebooting the MCU.

I exclusively use the usb audio and I think it's ok in terms of resuming playback but I really want it to start playing the next album/folder when the current one is done. I hate having to pick the next album by going back/in the next and picking the first song. And if you turn the car off and on it loses track of where you were so you have to find the artist/album again

Reactions: UnicornDriver
Don't underestimate the importance of a functioning USB media player for many customers though. We live in the Washington DC area with great 4G connectivity but it doesn't take much driving away from the city, especially around the Shenandoah Mountains, to completely lose cellphone reception.

I have 100 GB of music on my phone that streams perfectly over Bluetooth. The USB player is far from the only way to skin this cat.

Sigh. You can tell whatever FSD feature is coming will be meaningless by the fact that Elon chose to tweet out the “caraoke” feature rather than what new ability is coming to the FSD suite.

It’s Enhanced Summon. Really extra Elon pinky promise this time.

Which, you know, is a major yawn and basically a parlor trick as opposed to anything actually useful. Just like the games. Hmmm. ;)

Reactions: AMPd
I have 100 GB of music on my phone that streams perfectly over Bluetooth. The USB player is far from the only way to skin this cat.

Yes, this is a great solution if you are okay with having your music streamed at a lower quality.

The USB player does a great job of playing my lossless music library of high resolution music (around 240GB of music). The problem is not with the playing of the music but the car simply not remembering what was playing when I leave the car so it can resume music playback.

They just need to fix the bug where the music does not resume when you get back in the car and stop the bug that causes the music player to index and "load" your music drive when nothing changed in the music drive.

When I get in the car, it takes 3+ minutes for the music player to "load" and index all the music files but nothing changed in that drive. The media player should not index and scan the music folder for no reason. I can turn on my $49 Android tablet and in two seconds I can open the music player and start playing my exact same music library in an SD card. This should not be a hard problem to solve and a solution will make so many people very happy.

Last edited: