Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
His point is that he wasn’t aware his drive wasn’t recording since they removed the sentry icon from the main screen and buried it under a menu.

In v10 and earlier the camera icon would have a gray dot if it wasn’t recording so you’d be aware of a problem you could fix.
The icon was present (v10) and red recording. But it was not actually (properly) recording.

Yeah, this is not a V11 specific problem. Regular USB flash drives are not suited to this use case at all (even the one Tesla now gives out) and will often fail in a few months of use. It is a problem with the Tesla MCU that the failure is usually silent. Get an endurance SD card (they are designed for dashcam use). Some also have good luck with SSD drives but watch the operating temp ranges, SSDs will almost never operate reliably outside of their rated temperature range (high or low). An SSD is serious overkill for the dashcam though, but useful if you want to have a large music collection onboard.
What reader do you use with the Endurance SD card?
Can these cards be partitioned one for Teslscam and for Music?

Yeah, this is not a V11 specific problem. Regular USB flash drives are not suited to this use case at all (even the one Tesla now gives out) and will often fail in a few months of use. It is a problem with the Tesla MCU that the failure is usually silent. Get an endurance SD card (they are designed for dashcam use). Some also have good luck with SSD drives but watch the operating temp ranges, SSDs will almost never operate reliably outside of their rated temperature range (high or low). An SSD is serious overkill for the dashcam though, but useful if you want to have a large music collection onboard.
To be clear, I was using a 250 gb Sandisk solid state drive that had been recommended on this forum a while back. I'm aware that drives fail, but with the old interface it was easy to see when/whether the dash cam/Sentry mode were operating (or weren't). Now, there's no visible cue.

His point is that he wasn’t aware his drive wasn’t recording since they removed the sentry icon from the main screen and buried it under a menu.

In v10 and earlier the camera icon would have a gray dot if it wasn’t recording so you’d be aware of a problem you could fix.
Exactly. And while you can add the Dashcam to the customizable menu, the icon isn't "live;" it shows a red dot whether the dash cam is working or not.

My uninsured motorist coverage covered it. But now my rate may go up etc…. This is actually the second time my car was hit. First time sentry worked and the other party was at fault expect for in CA you only need 5K of auto coverage and that’s what the other “driver” had. So again my uninsured motorist coverages kicked in and covered the 9k difference.

I not sure how these cars get reasonable rates. They are crazy expensive to repair.

When my uninsured coverage kicked in I asked if my rates would go up and I was told they never go up due to uninsured coverage because they are covering you for something that is not your fault.

I had an annoyance with the seat heaters today. I preheated the car and had the seat heater on while heating the car. I turned off the seat heater and heat from the app before getting in the car. While going down the hill (on a rough road in need of resurfacing) I noticed the seat felt abnormally warm. To check and see if the seat heater was on I had to turn on the heat, open the HVAC pop up, the seat heater wasn't on, then I had to turn the heat off again (car was plenty warm). Because I was a rough road, I hit the wrong spot a few times. I ended up having to take my eyes off the road at least 5 times and my hand had to be over the screen for about 30 seconds.

In V10, this check would have involved taking my eyes off the road for less than one second and my hands would have never left the steering wheel. An example of really bad UI design.

True our cars are decently expensive to repair. However, they are also super safe for the occupants in accidents. So pure speculation on my part, but I would guess the far lower claims on injury payouts more then offsets the higher repair payouts. But I know next to nothing about how the insurance industry works....

Why hasn't this been rolled back yet? wow, it's insane that v11 was never tested in a moving car. this absolutely sucks and there's next to nothing we can do about it. Fine product you got there, Elon. what a dumbass. NEVER will i recommend this stupid car to ANYONE.

disaster is too nice a word.

Nope. not done ranting and still haven't "just get used to it".

Why hasn't this been rolled back yet? wow, it's insane that v11 was never tested in a moving car. this absolutely sucks and there's next to nothing we can do about it. Fine product you got there, Elon. what a dumbass. NEVER will i recommend this stupid car to ANYONE.

They will never roll it back. Ever. They absolutely should give owners the option, but they never will. Will they at least fix some of the issues with V11? Hopefully, but I would not count on it based on Musks tweets. Seems like this is exatly the UI he wants.

They will never roll it back. Ever. They absolutely should give owners the option, but they never will. Will they at least fix some of the issues with V11? Hopefully, but I would not count on it based on Musks tweets. Seems like this is exatly the UI he wants.

They did fix the charging screen on the older Model S/X with an update last week. The ability to level to charge to was gone after the update. Now they are so proud of themselves that screen is always up when I unplug and I have to manually kill it to see anything else. An extra screen touch to be able to drive the car. Livable, but still annoying.

Reactions: COS Blue

The new UI and Elon's comments about input usually being error, prove that they are slowly nudging us toward a driverless future. Using the car is going to eventually become such a pain in the ass, that most people will welcome autonomy because manual driving will become too difficult, or at the very least, no fun at all. He and others have said that humans driving cars are too dangerous.. that in the future most drivers will object to being on roads with cars that people are driving themselves.

Contrary to those that say Tesla is out to lunch and have no idea what they are doing.. i believe they know exactly what they are doing. Everything is going according to plan. Each change is subtle enough to enlist some allies to their side, who will help ridicule those that want to retain the easier modes of control, and feelings of ownership of the vehicle they paid for. Divide and conquer has always proven to be the best strategy for dominance.

Reactions: lensovet and Boza
There is no viable alternative, in terms of range, efficiency and network coverage… for now. Things are changing fast, though…
Sure there is. None have exactly the combination of features Tesla does, but there are pleanty of viable alternatives (>200 mile range with good chariging speeds). Sure EA is a crapshoot, but it is viable. In terms of number of locations it is where Tesla was in 2017 (but admititivly with less stalls per location). The Supercharger network was perfectly viable for many people in 2017 to ditch gas cars, so surely EA will be fine for many today to ditch Tesla if that is something they want to do. Tesla is absolutely ahead in coverage and in convenience, but for many people a CCS car and the CCS charing infracture is at a totally viable level. Will the charging experience be as nice as with Tesla? Hell no. But it is viable if they want one of the other car choices for whatever reason.

The new UI and Elon's comments about input usually being error, prove that they are slowly nudging us toward a driverless future. Using the car is going to eventually become such a pain in the ass, that most people will welcome autonomy because manual driving will become too difficult, or at the very least, no fun at all. He and others have said that humans driving cars are too dangerous.. that in the future most drivers will object to being on roads with cars that people are driving themselves.

Contrary to those that say Tesla is out to lunch and have no idea what they are doing.. i believe they know exactly what they are doing. Everything is going according to plan. Each change is subtle enough to enlist some allies to their side, who will help ridicule those that want to retain the easier modes of control, and feelings of ownership of the vehicle they paid for. Divide and conquer has always proven to be the best strategy for dominance.

Older Tesla cars are not able to do FSD. And there are going to be conditions where FSD won't work for a very long time, possibly there will always be. The conditions where FSD is not possible the human driver can't be distracted with a bad UI.

Sure there is. None have exactly the combination of features Tesla does, but there are pleanty of viable alternatives (>200 mile range with good chariging speeds). Sure EA is a crapshoot, but it is viable. In terms of number of locations it is where Tesla was in 2017 (but admititivly with less stalls per location). The Supercharger network was perfectly viable for many people in 2017 to ditch gas cars, so surely EA will be fine for many today to ditch Tesla if that is something they want to do. Tesla is absolutely ahead in coverage and in convenience, but for many people a CCS car and the CCS charing infracture is at a totally viable level. Will the charging experience be as nice as with Tesla? Hell no. But it is viable if they want one of the other car choices for whatever reason.
200mi is not a viable alternative for quite a few people, incl. me. Has to be at least 400-450mi. ATM only Lucid has that range but they are where Tesla was with the Roadster - a niche car.
I have a friend with ID.4 and he curses the EA on a regular basis. It is not only coverage but also often they do not work properly. The price is also too high.
In just two years the picture will be very, very different. Tesla does not have much time to get their stih together.

Reactions: lensovet
This whole thing about automation is a religion - it is how they _want_ things to be; it is not how things _are_. In my 21 MS none of the automation is better than me; it is assistance, at best.
- Windshield wipers (according to Tesla, still in beta) do not work properly. I had a car 30 years ago that worked perfectly.
- High/Low beams do not work properly. Apparently, that technology is at least 50 years old.
- Screen brightness does not work properly. I have no issues with my iPhone screen brightness
- Adaptive Cruse Control is scared of trucks and overpasses.
- FSD is scared of traffic lights and roundabouts.
By “properly” I mean “fire and forget” - turn it on and there is no need to ever touch it. The wipers are either too fast or too slow; the beams for some reason react to traffic signs or safely turn to low beams even if there are no cars around. I was constantly overriding the screen brightness until got tired and turned off the auto. Left it at 20% and barely touch it anymore.
Yes, the UI would not be an issue if automation worked. But it does not yet.
I mentioned in another tread that they should probably decouple automation from EV and be even more successful. Similarly, they should make the games optional and charge for them.
Start with a driver-oriented UI and charge additional for “automation” and games.