Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering here if there's any chance we, mostly the northerners of the boomer generation, will be heard by Tesla and the V10 convenient controls will be restored to their rightful places on the screen, namely: Defogger, defroster, and seat heaters. Let's not forget about the Trip Info card (tire pressure card is secondary, don't need to look at that so often).
Relocating the Blind Spot display to the same places as the currently displayed side views are (lower left and lower right corners of the map) would make it much more useful.

Reactions: K5TRX
its not very good, actually. look how long it takes to roll out updates to people. its just barely working and overextended, from my POV.

all the vendors are doing OTA. its really not anything special anymore and it will be part of all 'connected cars' as the vendors work out the bugs and eventually settle on some standard sw pkgs (modules from vendors) rather than doing it all on their own.

doing the first one is painful and takes 1-2 years from the start, just to get it working at all (I've been thru it before). but its not rocket science and tesla does not do anything really special here.

what WOULD be impressive? giving an undo or go-back option. since they dont have that, I cant give them an A grade on this. at best its a C+ or B- but certainly nothing really stellar.

stellar would be to let us upgrade just safety or bug fixes and not the UI. stellar would be a TRUE 'leave me the hell alone' button. stellar would be to allow options to be downloaded and some others that you like, locked down due to owner's pref.

tesla has done an average job. but they are not experts in this and it shows.
What other vendors are doing this? We have a 2020 Subaru that can't. A coworker has a newer Chevy that can't either. Every other car I've had required a trip to the dealer and 3-4 hours, and even then they'd only do updates for major issues.

I agree it would be awesome to be able to revert to the previous version but even with iPhones you can't do it over the air. You need to use a separate computer to download the previous version and then upload it to the device and Apple only allows it for a few weeks before they stop signing the software.

What other vendors are doing this? We have a 2020 Subaru that can't. A coworker has a newer Chevy that can't either. Every other car I've had required a trip to the dealer and 3-4 hours, and even then they'd only do updates for major issues.

I agree it would be awesome to be able to revert to the previous version but even with iPhones you can't do it over the air. You need to use a separate computer to download the previous version and then upload it to the device and Apple only allows it for a few weeks before they stop signing the software.
Please for the love of god don’t suggest you want to go back to the days where new features on came by buying a new car 🤬

Wow.. i admit i haven't been on here that long, but yours is the first post i've seen that really made this logical comparison so directly. It's insane, right? How can i get a ticket for glancing at my phone but it's legal to drive a Tesla? It really shows how laws are such a gray area and frequently don't reflect real life. And how they can be manipulated and massaged. I still think the screens are being allowed, with short term dangers well known, to facilitate the future utopia where universal autonomy will protect us all. It's for the "greater good."
I personally absolutely hate there way traditional car companies handle UX, it’s terrible. Feature randomly enable / disable when you drive / stop / park. It’s terrible.

I have to grab hold of something with my hand, on the back of the screen, to steady my hand while the car is in motion, then I can use fingers to select the button on the screen.

overall, its NOT IDEAL for driving!

well, duh. we all knew this. the largest 'bigliest' elephant in the room - screens are not safe for cars since you HAVE TO take your eyes off the road to use them. there's no touch or tactile clues.

what I find really amazing is how tesla and the others got away with bribing the authorities to look the other way, when legislation was created that specifically addresses the distraction issue about drivers. in calif, you cant even mount anything to your windshield (lots of reasons). you can't play video games or have a live movie going while you drive. so why is it ok to have us constantly glance AWAY from the road to the screen just to operate the car?

using my phone gets me a ticket. why is using my tesla's screen ANY DIFFERENT? someone please answer that. I see zero diffs. mounting the phone and touching it gets you a ticket while you drive. and yet.....

tesla is on the border of legality and just barely, somehow. other vendors that play with screens like this, them too. the move away from real controls has hurt, not helped, distracted driver syndrome.

there's a lot I like about that display, but part of me would like to see it reeled back by more rational minds. I do think we've taken this too far and its just lazy to put all controls there. lazy for software and hardware designers. yeah, we ask them to make a decision and stick with it. and they just can't!
It takes a while for regulations to catch up.

when I said 'are doing this' I meant the software guys are writing (or the beancounters are buying) the OTA feature and integrating it.

its not a matter of 'if' but 'when' for every single one of them.

they see lots of up-side to it.

Tesla does take owners' feedback sometimes.

However, that feedback should be submitted via official channels and the forum is not an official way to communicate to Tesla.
Please let us know what the “official” channels are to communicate user feedback with Tesla.

They don’t have a PR department, only have a phone number for Sales/Delivery, and do not accept software requests via Service in the app.

They don’t listen to owners. Only celebrities that tweet at the CEO.

They do it. I think Ford also does it for the E-Mach (although, it looks like for some things you still need to go to the dealer.

If I have to choose between V11 experience and forgoing updates for the life of the car…

Whole different topic that I will pass on.

However, I am wondering if Tesla opened a Pandora’s box. So far, the screens were mostly for entertainment and are not changing much since the car was “certified”. However, where is the threshold where the car becomes substantially different than what was certified? What if they remove _all_ driving related controls (they are certainly not adverse to that concept)?

(Very different but somewhat relevant case of B-737Max)

I doubt that the regulators are caught up on the concept of “ever changing” cars and this event may be the trigger.

• Helpful
Reactions: tccartier
They do it. I think Ford also does it for the E-Mach (although, it looks like for some things you still need to go to the dealer.

If I have to choose between V11 experience and forgoing updates for the life of the car…
I would take v11 any day , it will get better and improve. Yes it’s not great now , but it’s only software. Better than being stuck with a crappy interface for the life of the car 😅

Hope they never do, regulations kill innovation.
Not always. Sometimes they can crate level playing fields where competition to innovate can flourish.

I'd like to see some vague regulations around screen controls, like drivers must always be given to option to choose always show HVAC controls on screen.

Just stop there. Let everyone compete on layout, position, design of the controls. Don't prescribe anything but minimum available to choose. Let customers decide what they want.

I'd love to be able to pin HVAC and then pin winter controls. Hell, I paid 1500 extra for heated seats, wipers and mirrors on my last Outback, I'd pay $1000 right now if I could pin them to a 1-2 inches stripe across the bottom.

Reactions: Boza and sleepydoc
Why? Just don’t
Not always. Sometimes they can crate level playing fields where competition to innovate can flourish.

I'd like to see some vague regulations around screen controls, like drivers must always be given to option to choose always show HVAC controls on screen.

Just stop there. Let everyone compete on layout, position, design of the controls. Don't prescribe anything but minimum available to choose. Let customers decide what they want.

I'd love to be able to pin HVAC and then pin winter controls. Hell, I paid 1500 extra for heated seats, wipers and mirrors on my last Outback, I'd pay $1000 right now if I could pin them to a 1-2 inches stripe across the bottom.
why just don’t have the regulation. Vote with your $$$ if you don’t like the interface go to another company. We don’t need government telling companies to do in order to make the customers happy. If that is really a huge deal and people vote by buying the car that has that feature then the rest will follow.

Wow.. i admit i haven't been on here that long, but yours is the first post i've seen that really made this logical comparison so directly. It's insane, right? How can i get a ticket for glancing at my phone but it's legal to drive a Tesla? It really shows how laws are such a gray area and frequently don't reflect real life. And how they can be manipulated and massaged. I still think the screens are being allowed, with short term dangers well known, to facilitate the future utopia where universal autonomy will protect us all. It's for the "greater good."
There's a critical difference between your phone and the screen in the Tesla - there is nothing on your phone that's required for driving the car. Wipers, lights, climate controls are all required features.

Now Games, movies and fart noises? absolutely not. The fact that they were ever allowed while driving speaks to Tesla's lack of thought with their UI.

Please for the love of god don’t suggest you want to go back to the days where new features on came by buying a new car 🤬
Where did I say that? I do wonder a bit about the business model, though. Regular updates are an ongoing expense for the company (as is the LTE service.) How do you budget for that?

when I said 'are doing this' I meant the software guys are writing (or the beancounters are buying) the OTA feature and integrating it.

its not a matter of 'if' but 'when' for every single one of them.

they see lots of up-side to it.
Right, but Tesla is not only doing it, they've been doing it for years.

I would take v11 any day , it will get better and improve. Yes it’s not great now , but it’s only software. Better than being stuck with a crappy interface for the life of the car 😅
I used to think that. I used to look forward to software updates but then V11 came along. I no longer have blind faith that the next version is going to be better, especially when Elon's comments are taken into consideration.
Why just don’t have the regulation. Vote with your $$$ if you don’t like the interface go to another company. We don’t need government telling companies to do in order to make the customers happy. If that is really a huge deal and people vote by buying the car that has that feature then the rest will follow.
Regulations are necessary in many situations, particularly when it comes to corporate profits vs safety, and voting with your dollars doesn't always work. Cars are major purchases that people only make relatively infrequently. If you don't like something, the next opportunity for most people to 'give feedback' is at least 3 years away, generally much further.