Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 39.7 - Dashcam not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some reason I cannot get the camera icon to show. This is after 2 different usb drives were tried. I formatted per the instructions on the website. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have 9.0 39.7. 2017 Model X. Thanks in advance.
Do you also create a "TeslaCam" (without quotes) folder at the root directory level?

In addition, this feature only works on AP2.5. Do you know if your MX has AP2 or AP2.5?

Last edited:
That was happening to me before too. But since I've started pausing it's been working perfectly for the last week. It's annoying to have to start the recording and pausing the recording each time, but I would rather do that than having to constantly format the usb drive.
Ya. It’s quite annoying. I’ve tried two usb drives plugged directly into the left slot. Not sharing it with anything else. I keep getting the X.

I can try the pause workaround but i know i won’t always remember to pause the recording tho.

I guess I’m leaving the old trusty dash cam in place I stead of moving it to the back for now.

Dang, I finally got the dashcam X issue. Instead of formatting the Teslacam partition (the other partition is for MP3 music files), I ran Windows 10 tool for error checking the USB drive. I'll have to file a bug report in the morning as Tesla needs to make sure the USB doesn't power off right away and ends up not allowing the file to be written to the USB flash drive properly.

This was with SanDisk Ultra 32GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive; Model: SDCZ430-032G-A46.

It appears the X occurs when the last recent recording did not save properly. Deleting the last recent file and plugging the drive back in gets it working again. No need to format the drive.
I'm going to try this if I get the X. However, I'm not sure which one is less annoying, having to pause my recording or having to unplug the drive and deleting the last file.

So far pausing before the car shuts down seems to be working. I'll update if I get the x still with this workaround.

The only way I can continue to use it without corruption messing it up is to click and hold the camera icon for 2 seconds to pause recording (gray dot shows up on icon) before you leaving the vehicle since it will cut power to the USB drive. When I get back into the car then I have to just press the icon again to resume recording and I get the red dot showing on the icon. If I don't pause the recording before I leave the car the next time I get in it will show the X on the camera icon because the corruption has occurred and a reformat is required to fix it. So it seems to be the power loss after leaving the car that is corrupting the drive.

This makes sense - any operating system needs to properly unmount a volume (drive). The Tesla uses a Linux-Ubuntu OS so you must unmount a drive before removing it. And certainly MUST NOT yank a volume out when it's being written to. It seems that when the icon has the red dot it has opened a new file on the drive; if that file is not closed (by holding the button until the gray dot appears), the drive will be screwed up because that file pointer is not terminated. Anyway, in non-computer programmer speak, it makes sense that the drive must be unmounted (the gray dot) before powered down or removed. I experimented a bunch with this today and it seems correct. Just for reference I used an old USB thumb drive (1GB, USB2.0 protocol) formatted to MS-DOS (FAT 32) from a Mac. I do not think GPT format, new drive, capacity, partitions, 2.0/3.0 protocol or any of that matters. Hope this helps other M3 drivers. I love having the dash cam capability!

I have the same issue. I get the grey x sometimes even without having removed the usb. I reformat to get it working again and in a couple of days the problem happens again. I even change a brand new USB drive and it only works for a couple of days.