Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Difficult decision..Canceling my Sig X reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all the people canceling their signature reservations, is there any way we can move up the list, possibly taking over a Sig Reservation?

When you cancel, (if anyone else does), could you please ask them, I'd gladly take the Signature Res off your hands, pay the $40k and have the remainder ready for delivery.

Pls advise

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone thinking an X would tow 10,000 lbs never looked at a trailer tow rating chart. I could not find a 2500 Denali listed. If you put on heavy duty tow options you can get a Sierra over 10,000lbs. The tow capacity is also reduced by what ever you put in the truck.

Towing Capacity Chart | Vehicle Towing Capacity | GMC

I was surprised Tesla pushed tow capacity to 5000lbs. I expected maybe 3500lbs.
A BMW X5 can tow 2700 kg or 6000 lb. If the Model X couldn't tow at least 5000 lb, it would be outclassed by it's competitors.

When using the 2009 Escalade with the largest enclosed U-Haul across country, the gas mileage took a huge hit. Easily 50% less MPG. No problem, just fill up more often. But with the BEV and the reduced range of the Model X, getting between Superchargers will be a challenge. Ideally, a revised Supercharger map could help reveal what areas could be visited when trailering.

Since my usage is for occasionally moving large objects that don't fit in an Escalade or Model X, no charging issues occur for the U-Haul for a day moves. The HEPA air filters should make trips to the landfill or Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers a lot more pleasant.

If someone is traveling across the continent with a trailer, then the ease of pulling through a gasoline station makes an ICE vehicle ideal for that situation. Just one more factor to consider.

Yes, I guess that was quite silly of me to go up on stage and talking about "best in class tow capability" and talking about a "10'000lbs capacity". Oh wait... No... that wasn't

Did You think it was in a "class" with 3/4 ton diesel trucks ?

PS: That VIA truck that everybody keeps referring to has a 1000lbs payload capacity. This is even LESS than the Model X which I believe is 525kg (1155lbs).

Now know why I haven't replaced my old Denali with a VIA truck. Waiting for the 3/4 ton model.

Wow! I'm honestly shocked by the long time reservation/posters cancelling. I was also at the reveal. I have also had a $40K deposit with Tesla for years. From the looks of the crowd there, I don't have the resources of most of the other reservation holders. I can nit pick the details of the MX forever but it doesn't change the fact that it is a totally different vehicle compared to anything else out there. When I purchased my BMW X5 seven years ago, I tried to sell it back in the first 3 months. It didn't do a whole bunch of things that my Chevrolet Avalanche pickup could do. I initially ignored all the things it did that the Avalanche didn't do. After seven years, I've come to enjoy the BMW. I will save $30K at least over the next seven years versus my BMW or if I were to switch to a Range Rover or equal. Plus no gas, no C02, etc etc.

i think that Tesla does a terrible job as far as communications and working with its customers. Up to now, I somewhat assumed I was alone feeling that way because I thought most of the sig reservation holders had enough $$ that it wasn't critical. This is a fundamentally different vehicle compared to anything out there. I don't think you can compare who has the best cupholders. If you thought this was going to tow a 10k horse trailer, you were kidding yourself or blind to facts. I'm in because of the fundamental differences. As far as the details, I have pros and cons with every vehicle out there.

It may lessen the shock some O-G - I believe that one of the things that makes it easier to cancel a Model X reservation is already owning an electric car in general, and a Tesla in particular. I'm reasonably confident I'll be falling back into the production queue - presence of the Roadster in the garage eases that thought for myself by .. enough that I can't really measure it. For me and my wife, the actual change in gas miles to electric miles from the next EV we purchase will be on the order of 1k miles per year; that's all that is left for us. It's at least as much about having an all electric garage.

So these decisions are, at least from what I can tell, not decisions to walk away from EVs, or to walk away from uber-safe cars, etc.. It's the beginning of the kinds of decisions that real people will make on a daily basis when this market is reasonably well developed. Individuals making quality decisions from the point of view of their own needs, and then picking and choosing among the plethora of options carefully developed to fill every niche and sub-niche that the manufacturers can identify and exploit to gain a few more sales. I guess today it's a choice between S and X, but that's more than we've had :)

Last edited:
A BMW X5 can tow 2700 kg or 6000 lb. If the Model X couldn't tow at least 5000 lb, it would be outclassed by it's competitors.

We are replacing a BMW X5 with a Sig X. To get that tow rating you need the largest engine they offer and with that big engine you get absolute crap mileage 24/7. You get the same crap mileage with or without a trailer. So to tow once in awhile you burn buckets of fuel everyday. Much smarter to keep a truck around to use for hauling and towing than to drive a crap mileage car every day because once in a while you may need to tow.

You are correct that the 5000 lbs puts them in that "class rating".

I would bet most Model X owners will never tow a trailer and couldn't back one up if their life depended on it. The hitch will get more use hauling bikes than towing trailers.

Last edited:
Did You think it was in a "class" with 3/4 ton diesel trucks ?

Nope, but it's in the same class as the:

Mercedes M - 7200lbs towing
Audi Q7 - 6600lbs towing
BMW X5 - 6000lbs towing

Even if Tesla just delivered 100 lbs more than the M class, I could have made it work. Begrudgingly so, but I could have (My dry weight is 6600lbs).

As it stands, it's nowhere near the 3 major luxury competitors, never mind being "best in class".

Anyway, I'm not criticizing Tesla on their vehicle design choices. 5000lbs towing makes sense when you have limited range. But then call it something other than "we have best in class towing", and talking about "actually closer to 10'000lbs". I could have bought a trailer with a 3000lbs dry weight originally if they were just upfront about it.

Tesla could have just promised 4000lbs of towing and delivered 5000lbs - it wouldn't have costed them a single pre-order or any bad press, and today people would be ecstatic about the extra 1000lbs of towing capacity rather than the other way around.

I can't be only reservation holder (production mid 600's) who loves the pedestal second row seats, especially with 6 seating configuration. Waiting for configuration so it can share HPWC in garage with Sig MS. But am sorry to hear of cancellations because of a possible feature that is of no importance to other customers like me. Hopefully in future Tesla will add option of folding second row seats for even more cargo space. But am a little surprised at idea of using quite expensive world class vehicle for hauling furniture and wood planks etc, that is main use of my far cheaper Chevy Colorado mid size pickup truck. And before got pickup truck would rent inexpensive pick up from U Haul for few hours or day when needed to do serious around town hauling, better than risking interior damage to expensive luxury vehicle. And of course U Haul also has trailers for hauling large stuff which could easily be pulled by tow bar on MX. Cheers.

Last edited:
Glad I could make someone else happy...................at least.

I'm very sorry for your disappointment and completely understand your cancelling.
A second row that folds flat is very, very low on on our list of priorities.
As such we will add out thanks to the others for speeding up the production of our delivery:wink:

I do hope Tesla comes out with foldable seats in the future for you and others for whom it is a priority.

I can't be only reservation holder (production mid 600's) who loves the pedestal second row seats, especially with 6 seating configuration...
I like them too. So much more comfortable than the rear seat in Model S because it feels more like a front row seat. My passengers will love the ease of entry and comfort. They were the ones who responded to my email and everyone wanted me to drop the center seat. They love the comfort of sitting in their personal seat. For those who like a bench seat or want plenty of space for seven adults, then by all means choose the Seven Seat Interior. I imagine that when my passengers are sitting in their personal seat that isn't centered on the panoramic windshield, they will wish they had chosen seven seats so they could enjoy the center view. They will be on their knees with their arms on the driver/passenger arm rest looking up at the trees passing overhead. At least there will be room for their feet where the seat should have been!

When it comes to cargo, the smaller space for large objects should result in spending less for things I probably don't need. The goal is to reduce down to one vehicle. The savings in insurance alone will cover any rentals that are needed. Over time, Model X could be paid for by the savings in purchasing less because of the excuse to not get a trailer for more stuff. And for the smaller stuff that you run out of room for, well that just gives you an excuse to drive the Model X more often to make multiple trips to the store. Sounds good to me.

Last edited:
We are replacing a BMW X5 with a Sig X. To get that tow rating you need the largest engine they offer and with that big engine you get absolute crap mileage 24/7. You get the same crap mileage with or without a trailer. So to tow once in awhile you burn buckets of fuel everyday. Much smarter to keep a truck around to use for hauling and towing than to drive a crap mileage car every day because once in a while you may need to tow.

You are correct that the 5000 lbs puts them in that "class rating".

I would bet most Model X owners will never tow a trailer and couldn't back one up if their life depended on it. The hitch will get more use hauling bikes than towing trailers.

WHAT.???..There isn't an autonomous back-up/centering feature that automatically positions the X hitch at the trailer, sends a signal for lowering the trailer onto it, magnetically couples the electrical connections and locks it in to place??? I'm canceling my order......NOT

I too am on the fence with our reservation. We have deposits down for both an X (reservation #20x), and a Volvo XC90 T8. All reviews that are coming in on the XC90 are very good, and it recently earned the top rating in all categories by the IIHS for crash protection. Plus, the XC90 looks like it will be 30K less than the X will be equipped the way we want it. Still mulling it over.....

We're not cancelling our order, but I am a bit less excited at this point, but for a different reason. Our main "need" for an SUV is an annual ski trip to Colorado...about a 14 hour drive in a gas car (probably 18 in a Tesla). The side to side and front to back storage with the 3rd row folded are probably about the same in the X as in our current Highlander Hybrid (2006). And the addition of the Frunk will give us some storage space we don't have in the Highlander. But the steep slope of the back of the vehicle is actually my main concern. The current cubical space in the Highlander allows us to add quite a bit of cargo with the kids in the 2nd row. I get a sense that there's no way I'm going to get as much 'stuff' in the X, even with the well and Frunk.

As others have pointed out, every vehicle has it's compromises. And if the OP, Nigel and others who are cancelling really need the full folding space on a regular basis then I can't/won't question that decision. But, OTOH, if they're remember "that one time 3 years ago when I loaded a large screen TV...." and this is a feature that would be an issue only every year or so, then I would encourage them to reconsider. You have friends with full size SUVs and Pickups, that cool folding trailer is dirt cheap and easy to store, and more than likely the forward lean will be enough for almost all other uses.

I'm not so much questioning their decisions, we all have that one thing we won't/can't compromise on, and I get that. But sometimes when something new and different comes out that just doesn't fit what we'd expected we immediately dismiss it before carefully considering just how important that feature really is in the big picture.

First, I accept that this is a 'first world problem'. The Ss my family enjoy are, IMO, a no compromise sedan. They are safe, spacious, fun to drive works of art that happen to be powered by electricity. I have wanted to replace our gas guzzling Range Rover Sport and saw a unique opportunity to do so when the prototype model X was revealed. So, I put down my deposit and waited. The wait became an extended one but I, like many, hung in there. I went to the reveal event earlier this week to see one 'in the flesh'. The X is a safe, fast, people mover. It appears to be a great vehicle. However, it can not replace the utility of the RR, or many other SUVs on the market, without having an option of second row folding seats. This may come as an option in the future but you can not postpone your Sig build until that time I am told.

So, I called and canceled my reservation.
That's rough. I'll echo many here on the folding 2nd row. I traded in a 2008 MDX for my P85 Model S. I used the MDX almost every weekend playing music gigs. Depending on the venue I had to get more gear into the car and the best way to do that was to fold the seats down.... So I used this feature a LOT. Right around the time I got the MS, I stopped gigging so much because of a job promotion which lead to much less free time. Having said that, since the MS does have a folding back seat I could totally get a similar amount of gear in my new car if I wanted... I just don't want to put that kind of wear and tear on such an expensive vehicle... at least not yet. I'm sure that will change at some point :p

My condolences to those that wish to cancel, it must be a nerve wracking decision. Surely, this $300 option could help with transporting stuff and frankly would keep anything that big from scratching up the paint or interior of a $140,000 SUV.

+1 Roamer (My parents are MX reservation holders)

- - - Updated - - -

@efusco, what I would suggest is pack all the stuff you would theoretically take on this CO trip and go to the Tesla dealer and fit it into the MX that they'll eventually have there to see if there is enough cargo and people space. My guess is in November this will be possible (I was told by two service center people that Tesla stores will have MXs to view by late Oct).

We're not cancelling our order, but I am a bit less excited at this point, but for a different reason. Our main "need" for an SUV is an annual ski trip to Colorado...about a 14 hour drive in a gas car (probably 18 in a Tesla). The side to side and front to back storage with the 3rd row folded are probably about the same in the X as in our current Highlander Hybrid (2006). And the addition of the Frunk will give us some storage space we don't have in the Highlander. But the steep slope of the back of the vehicle is actually my main concern. The current cubical space in the Highlander allows us to add quite a bit of cargo with the kids in the 2nd row. I get a sense that there's no way I'm going to get as much 'stuff' in the X, even with the well and Frunk.

As others have pointed out, every vehicle has it's compromises. And if the OP, Nigel and others who are cancelling really need the full folding space on a regular basis then I can't/won't question that decision. But, OTOH, if they're remember "that one time 3 years ago when I loaded a large screen TV...." and this is a feature that would be an issue only every year or so, then I would encourage them to reconsider. You have friends with full size SUVs and Pickups, that cool folding trailer is dirt cheap and easy to store, and more than likely the forward lean will be enough for almost all other uses.

I'm not so much questioning their decisions, we all have that one thing we won't/can't compromise on, and I get that. But sometimes when something new and different comes out that just doesn't fit what we'd expected we immediately dismiss it before carefully considering just how important that feature really is in the big picture.

The replacement for my model x.

In 1910 a Studebaker electric truck was used to transport 4 ton "Millie" to a vet.

elec_eleph.jpg

With all the people canceling their signature reservations, is there any way we can move up the list, possibly taking over a Sig Reservation?

When you cancel, (if anyone else does), could you please ask them, I'd gladly take the Signature Res off your hands, pay the $40k and have the remainder ready for delivery.

Pls advise

I would call Tesla sales, I am sure there is a waiting list to get a signature for when others cancel.

I am not quite sure why the decision is difficult. The next year or two will probably yield additional improvements to Model X, including different seat configurations. The next couple of years will also yield a more well built out supercharger network and maybe even some competition from traditional ICE makers in the of BEV or PHEV SUVs. I know that I am considering the Volvo XC90 PHEV and the BMW X5 PHEV along with Model X in about a 12-18 month horizon, but I don't want to be among the first to have any of these.