Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Difficult decision..Canceling my Sig X reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see that unless the plywood is angled up from the floor to above the drivers head. And even then 8'=96"!
Image: http://i.imgur.com/8YaKwNs.jpg

View attachment 96679

Ah, this picture is missing the built in plywood holder that are the Falcon Wing Doors when open. Many sheets would fit held on the pedestal formed by the doors open to their full extent. It's all about thinking outside the box (literally).
tesla-model-x-xl.jpg

Has anyone read the wired article about the X. They seem to feel the storage is "cavernous". It's worth a read. They did ride in the car. They certainly present a different view from what you all are saying.

The 'cubic' dimensions are similar to the S as the S has more of a sloping roof line than the X. However, the linear dimensions of the X with the third row folded down and the second row seats pulled forward as far as they can go (a position that renders them useless for passengers), is less than the S.

I agree that you can put more boxes in the X but as others have pointed out an S actually handles a bike better and in my case building supplies.

Has anyone read the wired article about the X. They seem to feel the storage is "cavernous". It's worth a read. They did ride in the car. They certainly present a different view from what you all are saying.
Everyone should carefully read the article and enjoy their video. I wonder how Consumer Reports will feel about these statements from: http://www.wired.com/2015/09/tesla-model-x-suv-reveal-specs-price/

"...​one engineer said you could carry a sheet of plywood. Another said the X would easily swallow a surfboard. And yet another said you could carry a load of two-by-fours. Suffice it to say, this thing will swallow as much cargo as any normal person would carry..."

"...In other words, unless you regularly haul enough cattle to supply all the leather in this thing, space is not a problem."

Everyone should carefully read the article and enjoy their video. I wonder how Consumer Reports will feel about these statements from: http://www.wired.com/2015/09/tesla-model-x-suv-reveal-specs-price/

"...​one engineer said you could carry a sheet of plywood. Another said the X would easily swallow a surfboard. And yet another said you could carry a load of two-by-fours. Suffice it to say, this thing will swallow as much cargo as any normal person would carry..."

"...In other words, unless you regularly haul enough cattle to supply all the leather in this thing, space is not a problem."

Mark,

I suspect you were at the reveal. Do you think a 4'x8' plywood sheet or surfboard will fit into the X with the current seat offerings? I really am not trying to be negative as when they eventually come out with folding seats I will be back on the list, but from what I saw at the reveal there is no way. It will hold as many/more boxes as I feel it has decent cubic space...but linear space...??

space is not a problem."

In the old days, you could fit 3 people and 3 surf boards inside Model X Prototype:

3Seats3surfBoards.jpg

The latest demonstration conveyed that you can certainly take a surf board with you too: See? One surf board on your left? Go ahead, haul the whole trailer for your 1 single surf board!

Surfboard.jpg

The cubic number may be fine due to taller height, wider width and laptops under seats. But something is seriously wrong with the length or the depth of today's cargo space.

Attachments

• cqO9fbj.jpg
    cqO9fbj.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Mark, I suspect you were at the reveal. Do you think a 4'x8' plywood sheet or surfboard will fit into the X with the current seat offerings? I really am not trying to be negative as when they eventually come out with folding seats I will be back on the list, but from what I saw at the reveal there is no way. It will hold as many/more boxes as I feel it has decent cubic space...but linear space...??
A surfboard? Perhaps with the Six Seat Interior, but don't hit the touch screen. As you can see below, there are many surfboard sizes.

When I read the plywood comment from the magazine/web articles, I just laughed. That's why I posted that excerpt from what Wired wrote. Unless Tesla shows a photo of the plywood as they did the boxes, I wouldn't let the article guide my buying decision. The Model S and X wheel wells are about 36" apart, so I know 48" plywood won't fit there. Above the X wheel wells? Maybe, but wouldn't it stick out the back? Maybe someone will try and place the end of the plywood on a ski rack like we saw at the Launch Event. Let me be very silly for a moment and suggest using the sun visors to hold the plywood above the driver's head. Just don't try it on my car! :wink: (I would never even attempt to put a full sheet of plywood in any Tesla, unless a future truck version had 48" between the wheel wells.)

Let's be realistic and hope that Tesla Motors will come up with a future seat design that folds. On another thread, I provided my solution to make everyone happy. You can find it here: Tesla needs a stripped down economy version of the X ASAP - Page 4

types-of-surfboards-2-1024x677.jpg

Last edited:
Pricing in the Wired article seemed off. They are quoting prices for 90D as 132K and P90D as 142K. Those are actually both P90D prices, without and with Ludicrous enabled, right? Officially 90D hasn't been announced.

That's right. They got that part wrong. The delta here is for Ludicrous alone. There should be a $20k drop when the P is dropped.

Wired also wrote an article raving about how wonderful the model S autonomous system was when there is no such thing. It's pretty clear that wired just makes things up without evidence.

2 weeks ago when in Europe on of the major broadcasting companies (BBC if I remember correctly) had a headline that TESLA was going to increase sourcing its parts from China, but do not know if it was true or not. Anyway, the X is made in California, the XC90 is made in Sweden. Lots of parts in everything now-a-days comes from all over the world - its just a fact of a world economy. Simply put, the X is a great vehicle, but for some it has shortcomings as presently configured, and that is what this thread is all about.

I believe that we have all drank the TESLA coolaid, or we would not be here.....:biggrin:

Looks like this thread ran is course as people are not posting political and personal subjective, fact picking points. Unsubscribe. Wish there were forum options to hide threads from view.

Trying to bring this back on topic: EM indicated several times that the X would be a better SUV than the S is a sedan. Funny, in some ways the S is a better utility vehicle than the X. I would agree though that the X is a great vehicle and I think the X is a better minivan than the S is s sedan based on the ability to safely, quickly and comfortably carry people.

Trying to bring this back on topic: EM indicated several times that the X would be a better SUV than the S is a sedan. Funny, in some ways the S is a better utility vehicle than the X. I would agree though that the X is a great vehicle and I think the X is a better minivan than the S is s sedan based on the ability to safely, quickly and comfortably carry people.

Yes. Everywhere you see the X and SUV in a sentence together, replace SUV with CUV/minivan and the sentence makes sense!

That's because S is a hatchback and X is a CUV. lol.

Yes. Everywhere you see the X and SUV in a sentence together, replace SUV with CUV/minivan and the sentence makes sense!

Have to disagree on this one. X needs it's own catagory, definitely nothing with a "U" in it. CUVs and minivans all have configurable seating to allow for utility to a much greater degree that the current X. But who knows why Tesla will not let anyone know their plans for the vehicle. They seem so quick to chime in on futuristic features that are a very long time off or perhaps even vaporware, but when it comes to the basic specs of a car that has been launched and in production....virtually nothing about the current or near term plans for the vehicle.

In the old days, you could fit 3 people and 3 surf boards inside Model X Prototype.
During practice for the 9/29 event, they did have a surfboard on top of the Model X. They scrapped that portion of the public event but Musk Tweeted later that the Model X would support a specialized suction cup roof mount, rated at speeds up to 140 MPH. It could be placed on one side (one FWD) while still having access to the other falcon wing door. I'm assuming that was the mount they were going to show at the reveal event but then chose not to (maybe since they were already running late).

You can see a glimpse of that here: BigPictureBigSound on Twitter:

Yes, back on topic. It is unfortunate for some of us that Tesla changed some of it's original design of the folding 2nd row seats.
However, after they conducted focus groups with women and aimed for this car to be a car for woman, they determined an IMPROVEMENT for that goal would be the current seats they've released which in my opinion is the correct improvement for them to make since this car is supposed to be geared towards women (which by the way I'm sure we have a very poor representation of women in this forum, at least the active commentators on this forum are probably something like a male/female ratio of 10/90 or 20/80 instead of 50/50).

However, reading this discussion is is TOO EASY to forget that for moms (and fathers) with young kids this 'seatgate' is really a great improvement vs. any other SUV out there. I feel bad for AIMc and others on here or who are displeased and canceling, but selfishly I AM VERY excited for these new and improved seats to use as its such a pain to gets my kids in and out of car seats with current cars/SUVS, this will make that experience much less painful to go through multiple times a day. I know at least one other couple with young kids who these seats (and safety) made a difference and they will be ordering an X as a result. Maybe they wouldn't be getting the X if the seats were standard folding seats (and the safety wasn't quite as good which some on here have argued is better with the current non-folding seats).

Also, on the topic of what is an SUV, I would suggest people read this:
Sport utility vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We all have our own interpretations of what an SUV is, but it seems the Model X according to the above link meets the definition of a "mid-sized SUV" (NOT a CUV). The people on here that are upset with the non-folding seats or lack of towing capacity probably are looking more for an Extended-Length SUV or pickup truck, both of which I think Tesla may come out with at some point down the road. I could see a "Model XL" down the road for an 'extended length SUV' which probably would meet people's needs on here who are currently disappointed that they can't put large pieces of furniture in it.