TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Very loud noise when AC is on

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by hemants, Jun 23, 2015.

1. hemants

hemants Member

Dec 13, 2014
    On a hot day when I first start the car or if I turn on hvac before entering car there is sometimes a VERY loud fan noise

I got in and manually turned down the fan speed and it didn't affect the sound, however, turning off the AC made the noise go away.

Is this some sort of battery cooler or something that needs to be looked at by Tesla?
  2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Nov 3, 2009
    Smithfield, VA
    You're hearing the compressor and fan (the compressor noise is typically louder than the fan. For the most part, I think other cars are equally loud with the AC on like that--it's just masked by engine noise.
  3. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    If you hear a loud buzzing and depending on the age of your car, ask about the acoustic cover for the compressor at next service visit.
  4. robert774

robert774 Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Katy, Texas
    As a new owner I too was a bit surprised initially... what you are most likely hearing is the typical sound of the AC when it is running strong. At its strongest point I find the AC uses 10kWh of electricity at idle!
  5. Forty Creek

Forty Creek Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Carlisle, Ontario
    I had the same experience. A crazy loud sound when a/c was on. There is an acoustic blanket that the service centre will add if you request it. So far this summer, I have been very pleased at its effectiveness.
  6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Mar 8, 2012
    If you have the temperature set low, the A/C compressor is very powerful so it will be loud. Try starting at a higher temperature setting and then lowering the temperature setting as you drive. This has worked for me in previous cars as well as the Model S.
  7. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Feb 9, 2012
    Drammen, Norway
    There is a TSB for this, where they install a sound dampening blanket around the AC compressor. Ask to have it done in the Service Center.
  8. MartinAustin

MartinAustin Active Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Austin, Texas USA
    Yes I think it's really loud in certain circumstances - because it's capable of doing a great job.

I remember going to visit my in-laws last year, and the car was parked out in the sunshine w/ windows up and no windshield/dash protector. Ambient temperature was in the 90's, I'm sure the temperature inside the car was 115 or more after several hours.

Turned on the AC from the house to show them the phone app, and within a few minutes, once it had cranked up, the car honestly sounded like a jet aircraft sitting at its gate, ready to taxi! I am sure the neighbors wondered what was going on.

If the car finds itself in an extreme circumstance, at least it has the power to deal with it.

Since then though, I have managed the situation so that the car doesn't go so crazy with the noise. Wind the windows down... park it in the shade, use a windshield protector etc. and the AC has a smaller job to do.
  9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    It does help, especially with the noise outside of the car. I recall before having the fix done that several people stopped to tell me my "engine" sounded weird. It now sounds like a more normal fan noise from the exterior. Inside the car, however, it is still quite loud. I can feel vibration through the steering wheel and when I touch the 17" screen. I will often use Range Mode just to tone it down a bit because Range Mode limits the compressor somewhat.
  10. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Apr 8, 2015
    I posted a similar thread, I have a lot of vibration in the passenger foot-well, less so on the drivers side steering wheel and foot-well. It's the compressor, because when I turn the fan to 1, it's still there.

OP -- have you tried to turn off the climate control and then instantly turn it back on? This seems to fix the vibrating issue for me? (maybe I'm just not letting the compressor kick on? but it keeps the car cool enough)

The SC called me (after seeing my thread) and scheduled an appointment to verify if it's running normally or not.
  11. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

May 12, 2014
    Hillsborough, NC

I think there are two things being confused here, and what you describe is likely what the OP is talking about. Not the compressor noise, but the cooling fan noise. Mine went into this "supercooling" mode for the first time (that I noticed) on a recent trip while supercharging. Below is a video I took of it (warning loud). While you can hear the compressor faintly, most of the sound is the actual fans and the whistle of the air sucking in the front louvered vents. Standing behind it, you get blasted with warm air blowing out from under the back of the car. Does sound like a jet about to launch down a runway in person. Personally, I think it sounds pretty cool.

Hot Tesla supercooling while supercharging - YouTube