Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been keeping a close eye on this page, to see how many VIN assignments are going out each day. It looks like on the 15th and 16th they distributed a ton of VINs pretty exclusively to Canada, and then took a break the last couple days, assigning just a couple (Canada again). Is it possible the VIN assignment halt is due to the upcoming shutdown? If so would it be safe to guess there will be no more VIN assignments for the next four-or-so days? (Shutdown being six days and we already have two empty days)

Judging by the comments there is either a glitch or the VINs are purposely hidden on Tesla's website. My guess is they are still assigning VINs but have to wait on an ISA contact.

Just a guess and I could be completely wrong.

That is my guess (hope) as well. I am hoping the slowdown of VINs assigned the last couple days is due to the "glitch" (also hoping it is a glitch and not intentional). With the glitch, people may be getting assigned VINs but would not know it.

No idea if this is what’s happening, but I think it would make a lot of sense for Tesla to assign VINs later in the process (or at least make it visible later in the process), very close to when the cars are delivered. That would decrease VIN reassignments from triggering calls, the delivery center would have time to inspect the vehicles, fewer of us would call ISAs when we’ve had our VIN for a week but haven’t heard from our ISAs. Again, just speculation, but I could see why they would want to change their process.

I'm new to this forum but you all seem pretty cool :) I've had a couple people ask me how I was able to take a best guess at when my VIN would be assigned. So I created a video explaining it:

Note this is completely unscientific and just a guess, but it seems to me it's the best guess I can make.

Also, using this method you can gauge how many days are average between your VIN assignment date and delivery date simply by taking an average of the rightmost column.

No idea if this is what’s happening, but I think it would make a lot of sense for Tesla to assign VINs later in the process (or at least make it visible later in the process), very close to when the cars are delivered. That would decrease VIN reassignments from triggering calls, the delivery center would have time to inspect the vehicles, fewer of us would call ISAs when we’ve had our VIN for a week but haven’t heard from our ISAs. Again, just speculation, but I could see why they would want to change their process.

I think it makes sense to get your VIN as early as possible so you can get insurance quotes and buy insurance. You can't take delivery with at least some insurance.

Someone in the Canadian forum stated that their DS told them Tesla is changing their policy to only post the VIN in your account when they are within 7 days of you delivery date. (I'm not sure if this has been corroborated by anybody else yet)
If this is the case, what do we need to obsess over? Is it more likely to get an email or phone call from Tesla to schedule delivery? I wonder if they will waiting to make these calls on a date closer to when the car will be delivered as well?

I will continue to patiently (or not) wait.

Reactions: emorog
Someone in the Canadian forum stated that their DS told them Tesla is changing their policy to only post the VIN in your account when they are within 7 days of you delivery date. (I'm not sure if this has been corroborated by anybody else yet)
If this is the case, what do we need to obsess over? Is it more likely to get an email or phone call from Tesla to schedule delivery? I wonder if they will waiting to make these calls on a date closer to when the car will be delivered as well?

I will continue to patiently (or not) wait.
I just spoke to my ISA today. I had a VIN and he confirmed all my paperwork was in order. We setup the delivery date...HOORAY!...but he did tell me that they have indeed changed the policy. You will no longer see your VIN until you are 7 days from the scheduled delivery date. My VIN is gone from my Tesla account page, but he said that the VIN is the same as I saw previously and that matches all the paperwork so far.

For those of you that had a VIN and now just see the reservation number, don't freak out. It is just the new policy. You will be getting your vehicles soon.

I just spoke to my ISA today. I had a VIN and he confirmed all my paperwork was in order. We setup the delivery date...HOORAY!...but he did tell me that they have indeed changed the policy. You will no longer see your VIN until you are 7 days from the scheduled delivery date. My VIN is gone from my Tesla account page, but he said that the VIN is the same as I saw previously and that matches all the paperwork so far.

For those of you that had a VIN and now just see the reservation number, don't freak out. It is just the new policy. You will be getting your vehicles soon.
I forgot to mention that my delivery date is June 4th.

Blue Aero
South Florida
Invite 4/6
Config 4/9
VIN 5/8
Delivery 6/4 *tentative of course

Well, that sucks. Good thing no one has any other issues that have to be handled other than Insurance and Financing. No worry about logistics for their current transportation - I am assuming everyone is just adding the Tesla as an additional car. Also, if paying in cash, it would be nice to have extra time to liquidate funds - I don't typically keep $65k in my checking account. [This all with the caveat that in Cali, it is not unusual for 7 days from VIN to delivery.]

Reactions: emorog and 9erDog
I know that people are anxious to see their VINs but in a typical car buying experience, I don't see my VIN until I get my car on the lot. My current insurance covers me even over a weekend and I get them details on the next working day and I am covered. Loan lock may be a good reason to get the VIN for timing but you don't need the VIN to apply. The lock expires regardless of when you get the VIN if the duration runs out. I recognize that the anxiety folks feel is very real but I think we just need to stop obsessing over VIN assignments and wait it out. Remember that we will (hopefully) be enjoying our cars for many years to come and this waiting will all be worth it. After all I said above, I hate to say it but ... I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY MODEL 3!

Well, that sucks. Good thing no one has any other issues that have to be handled other than Insurance and Financing. No worry about logistics for their current transportation - I am assuming everyone is just adding the Tesla as an additional car. Also, if paying in cash, it would be nice to have extra time to liquidate funds - I don't typically keep $65k in my checking account. [This all with the caveat that in Cali, it is not unusual for 7 days from VIN to delivery.]

All good points - but it will all work out in the end. Can you tell that I have a TGIF attitude today?

The issue isn't the VIN in and of itself, its more that seeing the VIN show up was the trigger that let you know the process had continued and you can expect ISA contact soon.
What are we supposed to obsess over now??!!
Should we expect ISA contact 3 weeks out, or are they also waiting until delivery is 7 days away?
I've been waiting 5 weeks since configuring so far. I wish I knew if it would be another week (not likely) or 6?

The issue isn't the VIN in and of itself, its more that seeing the VIN show up was the trigger that let you know the process had continued and you can expect ISA contact soon.
What are we supposed to obsess over now??!!
Should we expect ISA contact 3 weeks out, or are they also waiting until delivery is 7 days away?
I've been waiting 5 weeks since configuring so far. I wish I knew if it would be another week (not likely) or 6?

Clearly we still obsess over VINs!!!!!

It’ll just be a longer obsession (followed by a shorter one after).

I know that people are anxious to see their VINs but in a typical car buying experience, I don't see my VIN until I get my car on the lot. My current insurance covers me even over a weekend and I get them details on the next working day and I am covered. Loan lock may be a good reason to get the VIN for timing but you don't need the VIN to apply. The lock expires regardless of when you get the VIN if the duration runs out. I recognize that the anxiety folks feel is very real but I think we just need to stop obsessing over VIN assignments and wait it out. Remember that we will (hopefully) be enjoying our cars for many years to come and this waiting will all be worth it. After all I said above, I hate to say it but ... I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY MODEL 3!

In a typical buying experience the car is probably already on the lot.

Reactions: 9erDog
All good points - but it will all work out in the end. Can you tell that I have a TGIF attitude today?

You're right, and I know it will work out, but I just want my car! I don't mind the wait. My lease expires this weekend and I have backup plans in the meantime, it would just be nice to know how many of the backup plans need to be implemented.

With the reservations, we were given a window (even if it kept slipping). It would be nice if we got some communication after configuring - I don't know if my wait before heading from ISA is 3 more hours, 3 more days or 3 more weeks.

Hmmmm.......
Needed VIN for financing and insurance. This time and 5 years ago.

However, a previous purchase, in a different state, I told insurance I was looking to purchase a car. They told me to contact them within a week after I take delivery with details.

So, who knows.

You're right, and I know it will work out, but I just want my car! I don't mind the wait. My lease expires this weekend and I have backup plans in the meantime, it would just be nice to know how many of the backup plans need to be implemented.

With the reservations, we were given a window (even if it kept slipping). It would be nice if we got some communication after configuring - I don't know if my wait before heading from ISA is 3 more hours, 3 more days or 3 more weeks.

I know how you feel. I'm assuming the worst and expecting delivery in July or August even though I configured nearly 4 weeks ago. That way I hope to be pleasantly surprised. In fact, in my particular scenario, if I don't get delivery in the next 4 weeks, either my wife or I or both will be out of town for another 2 weeks so we would be pushed to second week of July at the earliest. Oh well - I have no control over the situation so I will not stress about it. I know that others have concerns based on their particular situations so I hope that they get their needs met by Tesla - they can wait on me if it helps out someone else.