Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Faustic - Are you expecting delivery soon (and have a delivery date visible in your account page)? Both colinrego & I are. Wonder if it may also be something that indicates it's handed off to the local delivery center, and they're about to call us for an early delivery? (wishful thinking)

Not exactly. I had a delivery date, today as a matter of fact, but it was canceled because the car didn't pass local inspection this past Wednesday due to a paint mismatch issue. My delivery date was removed from my account as a result. They were sending it out to the body shop for repair and were going to get back to me with a timeline. They also gave me the option of rejecting the car altogether and contacting my ISA for a new VIN. I was waiting on the updated timeline on the current car until I make a decision.

Now the VIN is also gone from my account this morning. I'm really just hoping that it's a glitch as I still wanted the option of waiting for the repaint vs getting assigned a new vehicle (that may still have an issue as this appears systemic with the pearl whites).

• Informative
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
Confirmed with my delivery adviser via email that the VIN is still assigned to me even though it's still not on my Tesla account page.
Ah, looks like Tesla has decided not to make VIN info customer-facing during pre-delivery! Bet they figured this will reduce a bunch of speculation/phone calls. The rest of us can probably expect VIN info along with a call to set up a delivery date.

Ah, looks like Tesla has decided not to make VIN info customer-facing during pre-delivery! Bet they figured this will reduce a bunch of speculation/phone calls. The rest of us can probably expect VIN info along with a call to set up a delivery date.

I was just thinking that. An end to releasing VINs solves a lot of problems for them and might explain the huge downturn in VINs the last few days. Who knows .

Reactions: emorog
Get the VIN ahead of time helps with planning though. Basically, once I see it I know I can get insurance and financing. If I wait for the call and they can delivery in a week that's cutting it close.
Is it really necessary though? I’ve got financing lined up, no VIN required until delivery day, although I’ll get it to them sooner if I have it. And I can get an insurance ID card within about 10 minutes of requesting one online when I add the car to my policy. The quote is already done without a VIN. At this point, I don’t really need a VIN until right before driving up to the delivery center to get the car.

Is it really necessary though? I’ve got financing lined up, no VIN required until delivery day, although I’ll get it to them sooner if I have it. And I can get an insurance ID card within about 10 minutes of requesting one online when I add the car to my policy. The quote is already done without a VIN. At this point, I don’t really need a VIN until right before driving up to the delivery center to get the car.

I didn't say I agree with it. My biggest gripe isn't the wait (over 4 weeks now awaiting VIN), it's my inability to prepare . And it affects everything from insurance to loan rate locks to how low I'm willing to drop the price of a car I'm selling that's to be replaced by the M3.

With any luck its just a glitch . Perhaps related to the AWD rollout..

When I had access to my VIN, I logged into USAA and added the VIN and start date/delivery date — hopefully, it doesn’t change. @Faustic Did your ISA confirm that the VIN is the same, or just that you had a VIN?

It wasn't even the ISA, it was my adviser from my local delivery center. I sent him the the VIN that was displaying in the shop checkout page and he confirmed that VIN was still assigned to me.

It gave a time window, I can get financing now but it's only locked for 30 days so the VIN was basically an indicator that the car would be here in 30 days so I could safely lock the rate. Now, I have no idea when it will come so I can't lock it.

Reactions: tpublic
Don't you need the final total to get financing? How do you know exactly what you need to pay ( price + taxes & fees ) without a VI/Delivery date or is everyone just making ball park guesses? I am 4 weeks after config and have not been contacted with anything additional.

I plan to put some more money down after the $3,500 ( Res + Order ) but when I apply for the loan I want to make sure I am asking for the correct amount...

Thoughts?

Don't you need the final total to get financing? How do you know exactly what you need to pay ( price + taxes & fees ) without a VI/Delivery date or is everyone just making ball park guesses? I am 4 weeks after config and have not been contacted with anything additional.

I plan to put some more money down after the $3,500 ( Res + Order ) but when I apply for the loan I want to make sure I am asking for the correct amount...

Thoughts?

In my case (applying to Tesla Lending), the loan application didn't activate until I was assigned a VIN. At that point I applied and indicated on the application how much I wanted to put down (in percentage form). A few hours later I got an approval email from a credit analyst with an estimate on pricing (including taxes and fees) and finance terms sheet with interest rate, amount being financed, etc.

Once delivery day gets closer, final payment can be done via your Tesla account which includes a breakdown of deposits, total price, and the amount being financed.

Protip: if you're doing the Tesla Lending route, when you indicate the on the application how much you want to put down...make sure you include your deposits thus far in that value ($3500). I forgot to include that initially thus the amount being financed was a lot higher than I wanted. Luckily it's easy enough to get in touch with the credit analyst after the fact to adjust the contract to reflect the amount you want to put down.

Thank-you!

I picked Tesla Lending because I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it myself, if the rates were comparable. If you dont mind me asking do you remember what your rate was? I saw something about using DCU becuase they have a 65 month with a rate as low as 2.5% ( I believe ).

Anything helps, appreciate the response!

Thank-you!

I picked Tesla Lending because I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it myself, if the rates were comparable. If you dont mind me asking do you remember what your rate was? I saw something about using DCU becuase they have a 65 month with a rate as low as 2.5% ( I believe ).

Anything helps, appreciate the response!

Definitely higher than 2.5%. They actually gave me 3 rates based off of 3 terms: 3.39% 72 month, 3.34% 60 month, and 3.24% 48 month. You confirm via email which rate and term you'd like to lock in. Also, don't apply for a loan until your ISA has reached out to you and indicates roughly when your car will be delivered. The loan offer is only good for 30 days.

• Informative