Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading reports 'only took 8 days since ordered!' I got anxious and I called the generic Tesla line today since it's been two weeks but no Vin#. Mine is in Fremont. I was told my DS is supposed to reach me but he hasn't yet.
Looking at the list of invites on the Google doc, I seem to be one of the last person on the planet whom placed deposit last year hasn't made the delivery (I know by no means that doc is a exhaustive list, but still). I certainly don't like this situation I'm one foot in and no going back (I didn't enjoy 1.5 mo wait on S either). On S I was at least able to complain to the DS. This time, I only have Tesla generic CS line.

I have filled out all the paperwork online and I currently have nothing to submit on my side, except a wire.

I have a slight suspicion that my particular DS is not the best SalesForce performer. Maybe he is overwhelmed with sheer number of arrangements he has to coordinate every day - Is there any DS feedback mechanism? Has anybody asked to assign a different DS on 3?

I'm still on schedule to pick it up in Fremont today (after ordering on 1/4, just one week ago), but I noticed that my VIN number was different this morning (maybe they located a more suitable vehicle on the lot?): JF0013XX

My config is:
- Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
- Premium Upgrade Package
- Long Range Battery
- 18" Aero Wheels
- Long Range Battery

Pretty good deal if you got two long range batteries included. Keeping one as a spare for longer road trips? :p

I just checked the Tesla website and saw I have been assigned a VIN
F0034xx

Invited and configured 1/4 and expect delivery at Tyson’s Service center Virginia. I have not yet had any contact since ordering (no call or email from DS).

That’s progress. I will take delivery at Tyson’s too. With my S order, I had regular communication with my DS early on. Things seem to be working differently with the 3. I don’t expect to hear from anyone until delivery is ready to be schedule.

1 week in and no VIN yet. Got config email 4 Jan. Ordered 5 Jan. Called the generic Tesla # today. They looked at the RN and said it's ordered and that it takes 2 weeks before they call....not believing that but it's my current situation so whatever.

I got my VIN after 2 weeks and a call after 3 weeks (they didn't call until it was time to schedule delivery). I'll get my car before 4 weeks. Just because things go quickly for some people doesn't mean it's the norm.

65864AAD-2BA4-4EE8-8A25-F8FA80B5AA54.jpeg

Thanks. I've tried a few times in the past and never seem to get it to show up on the actual chart.
It's pretty clear that the vinbot doesn't actually run over all the content at the TMC boards. The help page goes into a long song and dance that pretty much explains that it doesn't work very well on reddit. Since the TMC boards are kind of an afterthought, I'm sure it works even worse here.

Bottom line: maybe it will see some things if you get it just right. I don't think it's worth the effort unless the tool creator makes it much, much better. I'm rather at a loss why it doesn't have a form you can fill in to provide with a list of VINs you've seen.

Reactions: navguy12