Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it got worse yesterday - no VIN assignments reported. So, definitely the plant shutdown has shutdown the VIN assignments as well. Not sure where all those cars on the Fremont lot are going.

Well I configured on Wednesday of this week, and didn't login to the Tesla portal until today....but I saw a VIN staring at me. So the VIN was issued either today or yesterday.

Reactions: RenMan68
Has anyone tried to upgrade to premium wheels after their order? Did it change the vin situation?

I just called and switched to the Sport Wheels. They told me it would be $500 and I am risking delaying delivery. They waived the change fee one time after I requested that they check with a supervisor since no VIN was assigned. Heavily implied again that I was risking delaying my delivery but could not give me any specifics. I'm hoping that it was just a line they have to say to try and discourage changes from happening.

I rolled the dice to try and get my car a bit earlier so lets see what happens.

I got invitation on 4/13 and ordered same day a Pearl White with Aero and I decided to change the wheel to 19’ and made the change yesterday(4/19). And... I just checked(4/20) the account and there is a VIN allocated 12xxx.

Did they threaten that it may delay your delivery? They did to me when I called today.

Out of curiosity, how did you change the wheels on the order? Just called the service number on the page?

I just did it by calling the service number on the page.

What worries me right now is they will be adding a boat load of new fresh inexperienced workers to make the car after they start up the production line again. Everyone waiting might get screwed with badly assembled cars.
You can also worry about the Hayward fault breaking and giving all the cars being assembled a good shakedown. :)

I'm fairly certain new employees get training before they shove them on the Line. The assembly process is heavily scripted.

• Reserved: 3/31/2016 in line (10:30am)
• Invited to configure: 3/22 (wanted SR)
• Configured: 4/11 (after conceding SR + full tax credit was pretty unlikely)
• Pearl White, Aeros, EAP

No VIN yet. I’m actually hoping my car isn’t built until after the production line upgrades. The quality of the cars seem to be increasing after line upgrades... so far.

• Reserved: 3/31/2016 in line (10:30am)
• Invited to configure: 3/22 (wanted SR)
• Configured: 4/11 (after conceding SR + full tax credit was pretty unlikely)
• Pearl White, Aeros, EAP

No VIN yet. I’m actually hoping my car isn’t built until after the production line upgrades. The quality of the cars seem to be increasing after line upgrades... so far.

That was my thought too, if you get an instant vin it means it's done and sitting.

I'm pretty sure your VIN lacks the ability to "staring at you". You may be anthropomorphizing your VIN number. Good news is you now get to wait for contact by inside sales, then waiting for delivery, then comes waiting for your first software update. I'm pretty sure this two year wait for our cars has got us very addicted to waiting. I took delivery on March 31st of a Pear White Aero wheels car VIN 11842. Running the latest software build and I'm a happy camper albeit in waiting detox. Not sure what comes next....

DSCN0786.JPG

Well I configured on Wednesday of this week, and didn't login to the Tesla portal until today....but I saw a VIN staring at me. So the VIN was issued either today or yesterday.

Reactions: UZJedi