Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, this is my first post. I placed my order on September 17, and was assigned a VIN + delivery date today. Tesla actually contacted me twice on the week of September 25 to let me know they had matches for me, but I declined because I was worried that they were pushing to meet their Q3 goals.

I'm actually trying to pass on this delivery as well because I was planning for a mid-November delivery (estimate at time of purchase).

VIN: 079xxx
Delivery scheduled : October 17th
Car: Model 3 Performance Plus package, Midnight Silver, white interior, no autopilot/self driving options

• Love
Reactions: KnoxEVfan and Sg911
Wild guess with no data to back my opinion up: Tesla now knows that FSD requires a piece (or pieces) of hardware that perform better than the current iteration of autopilot hardware known as 2.5.

They discussed this extensively during the Q2 conference call. All AP2 cars will be getting upgraded to Tesla’s custom chip (they are testing it now) for free.

They discussed this extensively during the Q2 conference call. All AP2 cars will be getting upgraded to Tesla’s custom chip (they are testing it now) for free.
No. Elon indicated that only FSD buyers would receive the next-generation AP3 hardware upgrade. Elon said the existing AP2 hardware is adequate to support the EAP software.

(Of course, if you buy a new Tesla next summer, it will ship standard with the AP3 hardware.)

No. Elon indicated that only FSD buyers would receive the next-generation AP3 hardware upgrade. Elon said the existing AP2 hardware is adequate to support the EAP software.

(Of course, if you buy a new Tesla next summer, it will ship standard with the AP3 hardware.)

That’s what I meant, though admittedly my response left that out. My post was in response to whether HW2 was sufficient for FSD.

Got assigned 59k a few days ago. Went to a Tesla store and decided to ask what the manufacturing date was. She said there were two dates on the car and that “it was practically made 2-3 months ago”

Just saw the actual car in the lot and it says Oct 18. Looks like Tesla is using the date when it leaves the factory as the build date.

Ordered my Blue RWD with EAP on 09/16/18 and received a text from my IDA with a delivery date of 09/20/18. However, I was out of town until the until the 10/03. As a result my IDA stated they would have to release the VIN and order me a new one at the beginning of the month, even though I didn't see a VIN or order agreement in my account at that time.

Checked my account this past weekend and noticed that I now have a delivery date of 10/31 @ 11am and an updated order agreement with a VIN of 102xxx. Hopefully, all goes well as my loan approval is good through 11/06. If I don't hear back from my IDA by next week, I'll attempt to reach out to her.

RWD LR Blue Metallic with EAP and 18" Aeros

Last edited:
anyone who ordered last week of Sept and first week of Oct waiting for VIN?

It looks like very few folks who ordered last week of sept or 1st week of oct got VIN assignment or delivery scheduled

Reserved : Feb 2018
Ordered- Sep 22nd
Updated color Oct 1st.
AWD LR Blue Mettalic FSD 18" Aeros

anyone who ordered last week of Sept and first week of Oct waiting for VIN?

It looks like very few folks who ordered last week of sept or 1st week of oct got VIN assignment or delivery scheduled

Reserved : Feb 2018
Ordered- Sep 22nd
Updated color Oct 1st.
AWD LR Blue Mettalic FSD 18" Aeros

I ordered 9/30

AWD/Black/Black/EAP/Aeros

Got my first text from my DA today with VIN 118xxx

Grrr...

I get to join the delayed delivery club. My car has not moved from the mid-west in the last week so my Monday delivery is off.

When it does arrive they offered me Tesla Direct but I'm only 20 mins from the SC so don't see any benefit with that. I'd rather have less handling of the car and the ability to inspect it in front of them.

Hi All, this is my first post. I placed my order on September 17, and was assigned a VIN + delivery date today. Tesla actually contacted me twice on the week of September 25 to let me know they had matches for me, but I declined because I was worried that they were pushing to meet their Q3 goals.

I'm actually trying to pass on this delivery as well because I was planning for a mid-November delivery (estimate at time of purchase).

VIN: 079xxx
Delivery scheduled : October 17th
Car: Model 3 Performance Plus package, Midnight Silver, white interior, no autopilot/self driving options

Quick question--how did they contact you? By phone or email?