Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have a PC on which to install Java 8, so I too was trying to figure out how to get this updated cacerts file and install into my copy of VT, but without finding a PC to install it on or trying to run the Java install on my Mac. Thanks to the info provided by SomeJoe7777 and JPP, plus some poking around I figured it out...

Here's what I did on my Mac:
- I downloaded the Linux installation from java.com.
- in the distribution, under jre1.8.0_161/lib/security there's a file named "cacert" dated Dec 19/17
- Control-clicked on the VisibleTesla application icon on my Mac, to open the application package, click on Show Package Contents
- drilled down the Package contents hierarchy, to Contents/Plugins/jdk1.7.0_25.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/security
- in that folder I found the file "cacerts" dated Jul 12/15.
- renamed the existing cacerts to cacerts-old
- copied the new cacerts file from the Linux distribution to this folder in the VisibleTesla package
- close the VT package folders/windows; launch the VT app,
- in the Prefs pane, click on Test Delivery to send a test email notification
--> it works again!

hope this helps other fellow Mac users without a PC

Awesome, thank you so much for the detailed instructions!
I just ran through them and it fixed my issue with message delivery as well :)

Just a quick comment that I downloaded the Linux_x64 version from the following site:
Java Downloads for All Operating Systems

I don't have a PC on which to install Java 8, so I too was trying to figure out how to get this updated cacerts file and install into my copy of VT, but without finding a PC to install it on or trying to run the Java install on my Mac. Thanks to the info provided by SomeJoe7777 and JPP, plus some poking around I figured it out...

- in the distribution, under jre1.8.0_161/lib/security there's a file named "cacert" dated Dec 19/17
- Control-clicked on the VisibleTesla application icon on my Mac, to open the application package, click on Show Package Contents
- drilled down the Package contents hierarchy, to Contents/Plugins/jdk1.7.0_25.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/security
- copied the new cacerts file from the Linux distribution to this folder in the VisibleTesla package
--> it works again!

edit:
FYI I'm running VT 0.50.08 on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3, and email notifications are now working again after the above fix

You were more clever than I was. I tried to download the Windows installer for Java to my Mac but could not open it to inspect and find the cacerts file. That’s why I found a native Windows system to grab the file from. The steps that f-stop lays out are correct. On the Mac the key is to Show Package Contents of VT with the control-click maneuver.

--> it works again!

edit:
FYI I'm running VT 0.50.08 on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3, and email notifications are now working again after the above fix

Brilliant! This worked for me as well, on the same configuration (VT 0.50.08 on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3). VT is sending notifications again.

Has anyone tried using VisibleTesla with a Model 3 yet ?

Yes! It does work with the Model 3 but not all of the functions work. It doesn't pick up the configuration from the vehicle, but you can go into the Preference Overrides and select your color, wheels, roof and units. The car will show as an S 60 but at least the color, wheels and roof will be close. Otherwise, the Overview, HVAC, Charge, Graphs and trips sections are correct. The location doesn't show in the app, but if you click on Browse button it opens up a browser and shows the exact location there.

That's as far as I've gotten with it. The Graph function has been very useful in tracking the charge levels as my car is losing between 10 and 20 rated miles in 24 hours and I can see it happening in the Graph tab. Tesla is supposedly looking into it but I haven't heard back from them in a week.

Yes! It does work with the Model 3 but not all of the functions work. It doesn't pick up the configuration from the vehicle, but you can go into the Preference Overrides and select your color, wheels, roof and units. The car will show as an S 60 but at least the color, wheels and roof will be close. Otherwise, the Overview, HVAC, Charge, Graphs and trips sections are correct. The location doesn't show in the app, but if you click on Browse button it opens up a browser and shows the exact location there.

That's as far as I've gotten with it. The Graph function has been very useful in tracking the charge levels as my car is losing between 10 and 20 rated miles in 24 hours and I can see it happening in the Graph tab. Tesla is supposedly looking into it but I haven't heard back from them in a week.

If anyone wants a windows PC app for their model 3 please PM me. It works for MS/MX but I don't know if its been tried with a model 3 yet. It also has some basic powerwall functionality too.

If you leave VisibleTesla up and connected to your Model 3 (even if you select ‘allow sleeping’) your car will lose a lot of range when idle. I learned this the hard way. Suggest you compare your idle losses with absolutely no remote connection (and all Bluetooth keys well out of range) first before involving Tesla service.

Reactions: LoL Rick
If you leave VisibleTesla up and connected to your Model 3 (even if you select ‘allow sleeping’) your car will lose a lot of range when idle. I learned this the hard way. Suggest you compare your idle losses with absolutely no remote connection (and all Bluetooth keys well out of range) first before involving Tesla service.

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering if leaving Visible Tesla up all the time was the culprit. After it charges tonight, I'll shut down VT and see if that is the reason. I had it on all the time with my P85D and only saw a loss of about 2-3 miles in 24 hours, so expected the Model 3 to behave the same.

Benjamin, you were absolutely correct. I closed VT and in the last 24 hours my Model 3 only lost about 3 miles, which is comparable to what my P85D lost. Thank you for the great tip. I wonder what is different about the Model S that allowed VT to be polling continuously without losing much charge? For now, I'll leave VT off, which is a shame because I really like the app.

Benjamin, you were absolutely correct. I closed VT and in the last 24 hours my Model 3 only lost about 3 miles, which is comparable to what my P85D lost. Thank you for the great tip. I wonder what is different about the Model S that allowed VT to be polling continuously without losing much charge? For now, I'll leave VT off, which is a shame because I really like the app.
VisibleTesla is a really old app with no recent code updates for years. It is not surprising that it doesn't support Model 3 well, for things like allowing the car to sleep in between data fetches... it is actually more surprising that is supports Model 3 at all.

The link on that page got me a 404 error at dropbox the other day. Today I just get a spinner on the page. The "Download" button does download an archive of oldversions up to 0.28.
These links work for me. And the Quick Link Downloads on the side work and download the "latest" 0.50.08 version. Here are the Mac and Windows links
Mac: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghmfp88uhrodgsg/VisibleTesla.zip?dl=1
Windows: https://www.dropbox.com/s/giylu9473ttgqxs/VisibleTesla.zip?dl=1

Is it safe for me to assume that most of you are using this application without any issues from Tesla. I was concerned when the warning stated I may lose functionality of the Tesla app itself. Is this a concern or should I just run it? We're all good here? Thanks for any input.

Is it safe for me to assume that most of you are using this application without any issues from Tesla. I was concerned when the warning stated I may lose functionality of the Tesla app itself. Is this a concern or should I just run it? We're all good here? Thanks for any input.
I haven't had any problems with the Tesla app when using VisibleTesla in the past. But that said, I haven't run VisibleTesla for while, since it doesn't properly display new car configurations. Currently it crashes on my Mac running Mohave, so I can't run it any more.

Reactions: israndy