Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice commands suddenly not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
So a couple of weeks ago I had my car in the shop (drive unit) and in that time it got a couple of software updates. I am currently on 2018.16. Since I got it back I notice the voice commands almost never work "first try" and sometimes even beyond that. I might say "play xx" or "call yyy" and it just sits there as if it never hears the command (essentially like it is not uploading to the cloud for interpretation). It displays the message to "say commands like play x", etc. (or whatever that verbiage is).

Anyway, has anyone experienced anything similar? I'm not sure if it is tied to the update or what.

Thanks!

Yes, it has happened to me. Today, in fact. The voice command button triggered the beep and the “listening” circle, but the car did not hear/recognize my instructions to phone a co-worker and I could not get it to stop listening with the voice command button. Eventually it got bored and timed out. First button press activated, second was unrecognized. I figured I must have had crummy cell reception, off in the boonies as I was. Tried it a couple of times and then just gave up and dialed from my contact list all old-school.

Me three. We took a road trip last week so the car was getting lots of use with many voice commands for navigation. Easily 90%of the time, the voice command didn’t recognize on the first try...it took a few efforts. And during that time I had the same experience with the “listening circle” lighting up and then displaying a list of commands as suggestions, like it couldn’t hear me.

I figured it was poor cell reception or perhaps a bug in the latest update that would self correct.

EDIT: Didn’t notice this was the S forum before posting, but I figure this is not a seprate issue and could likely affect all models.

I have been having a bit of similar trouble off and on, and had not connected it to my latest software update. But now that you (all) mention it, I think it has been more troublesome since the last update(s).
I will try a reboot.