Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen Is Ordered to Recall Nearly 500,000 Vehicles Over Emissions Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More violations - this time all the 3 liter engines, like in the Cayenne:

http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/cert/violations.htm

VW is f*cked. They have really screwed up. I don't know if VW will ever be able to successfully market diesel in the US again.
The 3L diesel engine is VERY popular in Audi and large VWs in the UK, and they're already recalling over 1 million of those here (just the 2.0 & 1.6 TDI), 11 million total.

EPA VW.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

80-greenpeace_vw_ad_0_31b73c6bfee903e886635377ee5c10acaf85e855.png

Indeed, very interesting - the EPA allegations are very detailed and seem to be knowing exactly what is going on in the software. If you read their letter, to me this will be very tough for VW to get out of that:

http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/cert/documents/vw-nov-2015-11-02.pdf

Indeed, very interesting - the EPA allegations are very detailed and seem to be knowing exactly what is going on in the software. If you read their letter, to me this will be very tough for VW to get out of that:

http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/cert/documents/vw-nov-2015-11-02.pdf

Yes, it does look like the EPA has decompiled the VW engine software, or somehow managed to monitor memory states. The fact that the cold soak mode lasts for exactly as long as the test does is of no help at all for VW's case.

Thankfully self-reported, it appears that now VW has been inflating mileage figures.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/aa35f24c-8259-11e5-a01c-8650859a4767.html#axzz3qSjByC13

The report just came out and is lacking in lots of details, but sort of reads like 'we know this much for sure, but we don't yet know that this is the limit'. Too bad the 3.0L diesel engine cheat device wasn't a VW announcement instead of a second EPA NOV.

I think this is what a train looks like when you KNOW it's going off the rails, and all you can do is watch.

Just read this on a German news site as well, it's not related to the new EPA allegation but an entirely new problem.
Estimation is 800.000 cars affected, too high CO² emisisons this time. Economic damages are estimated to be 2 billion €€€.
Though it's mostly Diesel cars, it's apparently some regular gasoline engines as well, also the first Porsches to be directly involved.

This is getting better and worse at the same time.

(Article in German: Volkswagen-Skandal: "Nicht erklärbare" CO2-Werte bei weiteren 800.000 Autos | tagesschau.de )

I'd bet the rabbit hole is deeper. Newly minted CEO isn't having much of an effect. How about interim executive team put in place by Germany government? Feel so bad for those VW customers and staff that had nothing to do with this...very sad.

Wrong geographic region of Germany ;-)

<OT_mode_on>
That is often the problem when someone across the pond thinks of Germany. To them, we are all yodeling, shoe-plattling, Lederhosen-wearing, Bratwurst-eating ex-Nazis, yet at the same time fanatically punctual, orderly, detail-mad engineers :wink:

Surprising notice to all those not in the know: Germany is not just Bavaria, and even in Bavaria the majority of inhabitants has never worn Lederhosen in their entire life, especially as Bavaria consists of several districts that are in themselves not all too keen on being all called "Bavarian". Calling Franconians like myself "Bavarian" is like calling someone from Scotland "English" :tongue:
<OT_mode_off>

- - - Updated - - -

Stick a fork in it. VW is done.

Wanna bet? I would wager that in the not too distant future we will find out that ALL of the established ICE manufacturers have done technical cheating one way or the other.
VW is just the tip of the iceberg and I am sure most of the execs at the other car manufacturers will be glad that for the moment everyone is occupied with getting at VW while at the same time they will be sweating and swearing to try and find out if and where their own models are affected by similar "tinkering".

End of March 2016 can't come quickly enough!

The average Brit doesn't care about the VW emissions imho. They like VWs, they will get one. If they cared about emissions, they would got EV, PHEV, or use public transport, cycle or walk.

<OT_mode_on>
That is often the problem when someone across the pond thinks of Germany. To them, we are all yodeling, shoe-plattling, Lederhosen-wearing, Bratwurst-eating ex-Nazis, yet at the same time fanatically punctual, orderly, detail-mad engineers :wink:
<OT_mode_off>

You're not? My whole family tree comes from Germany and that's what I've observed. :) You forgot beer-swilling. Maybe that's the issue. :)

The average Brit doesn't care about the VW emissions imho. They like VWs, they will get one. If they cared about emissions, they would got EV, PHEV, or use public transport, cycle or walk.

The same is true for most Germans by the way.

- - - Updated - - -

You forgot beer-swilling.

No, didn't forget. Ignored on purpose, as beer drinking is becoming ever more unpopular in Germany nowadays. Hard to believe, I know. Even harder than not believing in the yodeling :wink:

I'm not a Brit so I don't know what they feel about emissions (some might care) but I do think they care about cost to operate and CO2 tax, both of which are affected by the emissions scandal.