Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wailing wall for Australian Model 3 team VINLess!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Order page now has SR+ and P+ for February delivery but LR AWD is still listed as December delivery.

Can't see that happening for new LR AWD orders unless they have planned to load unordered cars on Seoul Express or earlier ships.

This is quite likely. Tesla changed to production batches rather than build to order for Model 3 quite some time ago to simplify production.

it is quite a tricky thing to manage the supply chain. All parts have to made then arrive to the factory on a pre planned schedule so a degreee of forecasting of what people want is involved.

It’s been clear AWD was totally underestimated or had a parts issue. Now it looks like they have built a few too many if there is a December deliver date for new orders.

Reactions: HappyPEJ
Just waded back through the posts since the "Big VIN Allocation" of 6/11/19...

My summary so far on what we know from people who have posted...
26 VINs shared.

Model Types
SR+ 4
LR AWD 12
P+ 10

Destinations
Melbourne 7
Sydney 5
Brisbane 5
Perth 2
Adelaide 2
ACT 3
Gold Coast 1
NSW 1

8 people have been contacted by Tesla and have been told delivery will be in December. (most have been told mid December which is interesting given that the VINs posted would have 23 of them on the Seoul Express arriving on 13th Dec. (again, thanks to @Vedaprime for the continued work on matching VINs to ships) Let's hope @Vedaprime is correct and Tesla will put on a big push for delivery between Xmas and New Year. That seems more likely that a mid Dec delivery at this stage.

1 person has been told a January delivery (Moskito in Melbourne) Let's hope that is wrong and another SR+ hits Melbourne's streets before the new year.

I ordered a M3 LR AWD white on the 2/11, found the hidden vin on the 8/11 - 5YJ3F7EB1LF5190xx, no reservation and no phone call as yet. Hopefully get the call this week.
One question I have, which HPWC is included by default (short 2.5m or long 7.5m?). Can I request the short version?

Just waded back through the posts since the "Big VIN Allocation" of 6/11/19...

My summary so far on what we know from people who have posted...
26 VINs shared.

Model Types
SR+ 4
LR AWD 12
P+ 10

Destinations
Melbourne 7
Sydney 5
Brisbane 5
Perth 2
Adelaide 2
ACT 3
Gold Coast 1
NSW 1

8 people have been contacted by Tesla and have been told delivery will be in December. (most have been told mid December which is interesting given that the VINs posted would have 23 of them on the Seoul Express arriving on 13th Dec. (again, thanks to @Vedaprime for the continued work on matching VINs to ships) Let's hope @Vedaprime is correct and Tesla will put on a big push for delivery between Xmas and New Year. That seems more likely that a mid Dec delivery at this stage.

1 person has been told a January delivery (Moskito in Melbourne) Let's hope that is wrong and another SR+ hits Melbourne's streets before the new year.

Just be aware the assumption was they were built this week (the last vins coming out were allocated to some people close to coming out of the factory). So far a couple of people have invoices pointing to earlier build date. Its still too early to tell for sure. As I said in my post, it wont be later than this Dec 13 ship, but it could end up earlier on a November ship. Regardless of the ship, logistics takes 2-6 weeks. There are many variable factors, so keeping expectations to late December will avoid disappointment. No car wil want to be delivered in Jan for the Tesla financial accounts.

your invoice - build date will be the thing that will confirm for sure which ship.

My own car took 6 weeks through logistics due to issues - 12v battery replacement and paint correction was done.

Yep, understood that it's all rubbery until confirmed by Tesla. Just thought it would be an interesting exercise and gave me something to do. :)

It’s a good summary.

More trying to make sure I have realistic expectations for people. The number of people butt hurt because their car wasn’t exactly when Tesla said to them weeks earlier, frustrated them last quarter.

This is not like ordering a quarter pounder. It’s more like building a house- a lot of trades need to lined up to meet a timeline, and it doesn’t always go as expected due to unforeseen circumstances.

Already we have seen a ship pulled from rotation, delaying the October 11 builds an extra week coming now on the ship arriving Sydney November 22.

Last edited:
It’s a good summary.

More trying to make sure I have realistic expectations for people. The number of people butt hurt because their car wasn’t exactly when Tesla said to them weeks earlier, frustrated them last quarter.

This is not like ordering a quarter pounder. It’s more like building a house- a lot of trades need to lined up to meet a timeline, and it doesn’t always go as expected due to unforeseen circumstances.

Already we have seen a ship pulled from rotation, delaying the October 11 builds an extra week coming now on the ship arriving Sydney November 22.
Of course it goes without saying that the delayed ship was the one with my car on it. Oh well, I had banked on the November 22 arrival anyway, not having your confidence that Tesla could get a new car into a container and then on a ship inside of 2 days after manufacture :)

1. Yes, Tesla want proof of payment before handover. My leasing company sent them a remittance notice the day before delivery. Tesla's "hidden raw amount" field was updated 5 days after delivery
2. No. You sign [on an iPad] after inspecting the car. You will be emailed a NSW Registration application before delivery which you will need to fill out and return. I got and did mine 2 days prior.
3. I don't think anybody has actually "rejected" delivery. Seems most people accept and then work with Tesla to get the issues fixed. Up to you.

Thanks @Anubis

I just had a missed call from the Melbourne delivery team and then a follow up email:

"Currently we are aiming for a Late-December to January delivery depending on Christmas closure periods. When your vehicle is closer to landing in Australia we will reach out to finalise your delivery."

Things are looking up for us Melbournites :) Probably won't have it before Christmas but at least there has been some COMMUNICATION!

I just had a missed call from the Melbourne delivery team and then a follow up email:

"Currently we are aiming for a Late-December to January delivery depending on Christmas closure periods. When your vehicle is closer to landing in Australia we will reach out to finalise your delivery."

Things are looking up for us Melbournites :) Probably won't have it before Christmas but at least there has been some COMMUNICATION!
When did you get your hidden VIN?