Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wailing wall for Australian Model 3 team VINLess!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am now looking at a delivery of a model 3 LR AWD in Adelaide in “Late Dec / Early January” (Tesla deliveries words).
I was originally going to drive my model 3 which “arrived in Sept” to Sydney for Christmas. Does anyone know if it is possible to change the pick up of the car to Sydney still with South Australian rego etc, and I drive it back? This means Tesla gets the car delivered in Dec rather than the waiting to get it shipped over to Adelaide, and I still get a car to drive around late Dec in Sydney.

reach out to tesla and see if they can put thru the paper work for the SA rego.. you just have to bring the plates up with you and attach them to the car at time of pick up from Sydney delivery i d suspect.. It's the least they could do as a festive season gesture ;)

Had to reach out to Melbourne delivery about another matter, and so I prompted them for an updated delivery date. It looks like my delivery has slipped from "Late November-Early December" to "Late December-January". No reason given, I would assume that vehicles arriving on the 22nd November (Syndergy Keelung) might run into Christmas slowdowns?

Part of me is hoping that they are just being conservative and that they will get me my car before Christmas.

Funny side note. At the beginning of the year, I established a "head race" between NBN being delivered to my house, and my Tesla showing up. NBN got pushed back repeatedly, so I thought that Tesla had won by a country mile, but every few weeks, the Tesla gets pushed further out, so there is a chance the NBN might snatch victory. A thrilling and exciting race, like the Chariot races in Ben Hur!

reach out to tesla and see if they can put thru the paper work for the SA rego.. you just have to bring the plates up with you and attach them to the car at time of pick up from Sydney delivery i d suspect.. It's the least they could do as a festive season gesture ;)
I know of a colleague who's friend did that who leaves in Canberra - pick up from Sydney, drive back down to Canberra (not sure if ACT or NSW plates still though)

I finally had a call from Melbourne delivery team today. I was thanked for my patience and advised they expect late December delivery to Sydney, and then probably January for my Perth delivery.

Disappointed with the continued wait but happy to have finally been contacted and provided what appears a realistic timeframe.

Received my invoice today. SR+
Build date 28/10/19
Model year 2020
VIN 5YJ3F7EA7LF503648

Was told during phone call, expect 1st or 2nd week of January for Melbourne delivery.
Happy it’s a 2020 model.

Would be interesting to find out if there's any difference / change in build between MY 2019 and 2020 vins or just what was registered as new batch of VINs required

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparty93
@tessiestraya - could you kindly let me know what date you put in a reservation (or if you did not) and what date you ordered? Would really appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thanks...
Hiya EcoCloudIT.

I guess I am one of a few , also watching the Vinless thread. I can sympathise with your pain. I wish you a soon to be announced Vin number. I check these posts, and sometimes notice yours, and am about to celebrate your Vin .. let us all know for sure when you get it!
Cheers...

Had to reach out to Melbourne delivery about another matter, and so I prompted them for an updated delivery date. It looks like my delivery has slipped from "Late November-Early December" to "Late December-January". No reason given, I would assume that vehicles arriving on the 22nd November (Syndergy Keelung) might run into Christmas slowdowns?

Part of me is hoping that they are just being conservative and that they will get me my car before Christmas.

Funny side note. At the beginning of the year, I established a "head race" between NBN being delivered to my house, and my Tesla showing up. NBN got pushed back repeatedly, so I thought that Tesla had won by a country mile, but every few weeks, the Tesla gets pushed further out, so there is a chance the NBN might snatch victory. A thrilling and exciting race, like the Chariot races in Ben Hur!

I decided to email and see what they said:
Email below, so im guessing they will move as fast as they can, but have learnt from over promising!

Thanks for your email.

As your vehicle is currently in transit from the US to the Melbourne Delivery Centre we are estimating a delivery timeframe of late December / January.

We understand that the continuous change to estimated delivery timeframes is frustrating. However, I want to ensure you that we are doing everything we can to get your vehicle to you as quickly as possible.

We really appreciate how patient you have been with us while we coordinate this unprecedented time for Tesla.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us via email.

Thanks for your continuous support of Tesla.

@Bluebay - thanks....appreciate the support and maybe those words have helped as it looks like I have just now been allocated a hidden VIN!

@Vedaprime - love to know your thoughs on the below VIN:

5YJ3F7EC9LF5875XX

I'd love also love to know when @tessiestraya reserved/ordered as it would seem we have close VINs however @tessiestraya is a lower number than mine....

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluebay
@Bluebay - thanks....appreciate the support and maybe those words have helped as it looks like I have just now been allocated a hidden VIN!

@Vedaprime - love to know your thoughs on the below VIN:

5YJ3F7EC9LF5875XX

I'd love also love to know when @tessiestraya reserved/ordered as it would seem we have close VINs however @tessiestraya is a lower nunber than mine....
Sure.
I ordered the LR AWD on 2nd October 2019 and decided to switch to the Performance which was changed on 15th October 2019 with an email that was confirmed by Tesla.
Therefore from vinless to vin took a total of 28 days or about a month.
I'm considering myself very, very lucky.

I decided to email and see what they said:
Email below, so im guessing they will move as fast as they can, but have learnt from over promising!

Thanks for your email.

As your vehicle is currently in transit from the US to the Melbourne Delivery Centre we are estimating a delivery timeframe of late December / January.

We understand that the continuous change to estimated delivery timeframes is frustrating. However, I want to ensure you that we are doing everything we can to get your vehicle to you as quickly as possible.

We really appreciate how patient you have been with us while we coordinate this unprecedented time for Tesla.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us via email.

Thanks for your continuous support of Tesla.
When I questioned the delivery people about why the new delay, I got exactly the same form email :p

Eventually we will get our cars, we can just try and be patient. The frustration is the lack of Tesla-initiated communications, and the fact that we have well-documented examples of people with no reservations and orders within days of ours getting their cars months ago. If I had known that then I would not have bothered with the deposit in 2016.

Reactions: RED DRAGON 78
I finally got a VIN! Just appeared within the past few hours as I checked around lunch and still had no VIN. No call yet.

P3+ White \ White FSD. Melbourne delivery. 2018 Res, Order May 31, switched to white interior 31 July.
VIN: 5YJ3F7EC5LF5875xx

Now I need to figure out what this means. Will go back and look @Vedaprime details. I was paying super close attention to the ship \ VIN details back in August and September, but have lost track a bit. I am hoping this means a good shot at a 2019 delivery. Off to research. Veda and info would be great.

Also, I have an entry in the tracking spreadsheet from back in June and have no idea how to update anymore. Let me know if that is still relevant.

Reactions: Vedaprime
I finally got a VIN! Just appeared within the past few hours as I checked around lunch and still had no VIN. No call yet.

P3+ White \ White FSD. Melbourne delivery. 2018 Res, Order May 31, switched to white interior 31 July.
VIN: 5YJ3F7EC5LF5875xx

Now I need to figure out what this means. Will go back and look @Vedaprime details. I was paying super close attention to the ship \ VIN details back in August and September, but have lost track a bit. I am hoping this means a good shot at a 2019 delivery. Off to research. Veda and info would be great.

Also, I have an entry in the tracking spreadsheet from back in June and have no idea how to update anymore. Let me know if that is still relevant.

Did the same thing back in Aug & Sep hoping for an end of quarter luck. Really wish for a Dec delivery date. My VIN is quite abit behind yours, does this mean we won't have the same delivery time?

Did the same thing back in Aug & Sep hoping for an end of quarter luck. Really wish for a Dec delivery date. My VIN is quite abit behind yours, does this mean we won't have the same delivery time?
I am not so sure. I think until our 58xxxx and 59xxxx vin ranges start to get invoices, we can’t know for sure the build date and therefore can’t confirm the ship. @Vedaprime may already know of invoices for these ranges and if not has proven incredible at predicting!

We are definitely 2020 build dates, so manufacture after October 11. What I don’t know is if they might be on the ship arriving on 22 Nov. or a later ship.