Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ICUDoc

May 19, 2015
Sydney NSW
I have been getting by with a GPO (normal 10amp wall three pin plug) as my power source at home for the last six months of Tesla ownership- only once have I decided to use the (close-by) Supercharger to augment my charging rate.
But eventually I got around to having the Tesla wall charger installed.
It didn't work.
My friend and electrician (Dennis, from Five Star Electrical) was flummoxed, as I gave him the instruction manual that came with the charger and he followed it to the letter.
Turns out (LOOONG story short) that the manual is IN ENGLISH FOR THE CHINESE SECTION and if you follow that section, the active and neutral leads will be switched.
Oddly, this generates an error of four red flashes that means "no effective ground connection".
We discovered the Australian section AT THE BACK OF THE MANUAL. The wiring diagram here is correct. The wiring diagram on the PDF on the MyTesla downloads page is correct.
SO: read the right part of the manual. Use the PDF. Ask an electrician who has done it before.
Very frustrating, I must say....

Glad I found this thread as just had my Wall connector delivered. Would this apply to 3 Phase Wall connector also?
My 3 phase wall connector is being installed on Friday by a Tesla provided electrician in place of my existing single phase charger so will let you know.
Hopefully its not the same as for the 3 phase as the installation manual is newer and different document.

My single phase wall connector due to be installed next week by a local electrician, thanks for posting this.
Hope it helps- make sure the charger works for your car before the electrician leaves.
I rang the Tesla help line- within 2 mins I was chatting to the rep Jo knew all about it.
PS my home phone's battery died during the chat: Tesla GERMANY called me back on my mobile in less than a minute!! Amazing service / system setup!!!

I ordered an extra charger when I ordered my car which I picked up and installed before my car was delivered and I was specifically advised (warned) to follow the Australian section of the manual for installation. My electrician, however, managed to follow another section thinking it was all the same with the identical results to ICUDoc. Go figure. But I was at least warned.