Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WANTED: Engine Noise Simulator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice....
I guess only true car guys get it...
must be able to appreciate both. When I drive my off-road car I refuse to pipe music thru the headsets because I like to hear the exhaust and can detect minor changes in the exhaust note if something is going south...

"True car guys", if I understand what you mean, are rapidly becoming dinosaurs, out of touch, and a thing of the past. Silence, not loud, pollution belching, filthy gas engines that poison the air we all breathe - will become the new standard for "car guys" who are thinking of the larger consequences of driving an ICE.

Nice....
I guess only true car guys get it...
must be able to appreciate both. When I drive my off-road car I refuse to pipe music thru the headsets because I like to hear the exhaust and can detect minor changes in the exhaust note if something is going south...

riiight, true car guys love fake engine noise, just like true musicians love autotune and true beer lovers love O'Douls.

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV and swaltner
I'm in the same camp as @derekmw. I get it. Simulated engine noise is fake engine noise, and what "true car guy" gets off on faked noise? You want to play someone else's engine noise in your car and get off on it? That's sort of a "left-handed feels like someone else" situation.

A laugh track doesn't make a joke funny.

First of all who said anything about getting off on fake noise?... or playing someone else's engine sound and "getting off" on it?
My reference was to the sound of his car on the track and my agreement hearing engine noise is not a bad thing....as some people think "ICE" vehicles are bad thing.

Why are so many Tesla drivers so sensitive?? maybe some can only "get off" with silenceo_O

First of all who said anything about getting off on fake noise?... or playing someone else's engine sound and "getting off" on it?
My reference was to the sound of his car on the track and my agreement hearing engine noise is not a bad thing....as some people think "ICE" vehicles are bad thing.

Why are so many Tesla drivers so sensitive?? maybe some can only "get off" with silenceo_O
Careful now...... Those same folks who thought that their insults were amusingly acceptable, are going to find your justifiable rebuttal completely distasteful. :eek::rolleyes:

I personally bought my MS90DL for:
1. Advanced Technology
2. Extreme Performance
3. Stealthy Clean Electric
In that order... If my primary purpose was to be efficiently green, I would have waited to buy a Bolt or a Model 3.

Those that are older, and have been involved with true performance vehicles most of their lives, will have a visceral connection to the feel and sound of a high-output performance motor. That doesn't mean that these same people chug motor oil and season their steaks with gasoline. You can love the environmentally superiority of a vehicle like the Model S, yet still get a little giddy over the sound and feel of a fast revving high-output engine. All that these people are suggesting is a little combination; to fill-in what their brain's are missing from the years of experiencing adrenalin rushing performance.

Reactions: Chopr147 and Ohm it
For those who of you who want the sounds, how much are you willing to pay for it? If we collect enough money kickstarter style, I can build something for you that will read the accelerator position and speed and pipe in appropriate sounds. If you're willing to pay a lot more, I can even tap the brake or simulate foot off the accelerator to emulate gear changes (and synchronize with the sound of course)- the reason it will cost more is that anything that messes with car inputs will require safety certification. Any takers? How much are you willing to pay?

Last edited:
Sorry to say that I miss the engine noise of a muscle car. BMW even pipes it into the cabin through the sound system. Being able to turn it on and off at traffic lights would be just about perfect. Faking It: Engine-Sound Enhancement Explained - Tech Dept.
As an objective response to this thread, I have seen an Android App that has simulated exhaust/engine sounds for various performance vehicles. The Android device then couples to your sound system in your car. You then connect the Android device to the OBD-II port via an ELM327 device to read the RPM of the motor. This synchronizes the sound generation with the true RPM of the motor.

That said, this exact approach won't work with Tesla because:
1. Tesla doesn't supply typical diagnostic data via the OBD-II port (specifically RPM/Speed)
1a. You'd have to tap into the CAN bus for this data
2. Tesla has a single speed gear box
2a. You wouldn't get the effect you're hoping for with a linear increase/decrease in sound
3. The RPM of the Tesla electric motor maxes out at approximately 18,000 RPM
3a. You'd have to map out a ratio of Tesla's 0-18k RPM with that of an ICE roughly 750-8k RPM

For those who of you who want the sounds, how much are you willing to pay for it? If we collect enough money kickstarter style, I can build something for you that will read the accelerator position and speed and pipe in appropriate sounds. If you're willing to pay a lot more, I can even tap the brake or simulate foot off the accelerator to simulate gear changes (and synchronize with the sound of course)- the reason it will cost more is that anything that messes with car inputs will require safety certification. Any takers? How much are you willing to pay?

As long as it makes this sound, I'm in!!

For those who of you who want the sounds, how much are you willing to pay for it? If we collect enough money kickstarter style, I can build something for you that will read the accelerator position and speed and pipe in appropriate sounds. If you're willing to pay a lot more, I can even tap the brake or simulate foot off the accelerator to simulate gear changes (and synchronize with the sound of course)- the reason it will cost more is that anything that messes with car inputs will require safety certification. Any takers? How much are you willing to pay?
If you were to take on this project, I would highly recommend tapping into the CAN bus, and not interfering with the accelerator or brake pedals. Once tapped into the CAN bus, you can read the instantaneous power draw and gain from the battery, combined with speed and RPM, which would net a much more life like shift simulation pattern.

If you were to take on this project, I would highly recommend tapping into the CAN bus, and not interfering with the accelerator or brake pedals. Once tapped into the CAN bus, you can read the instantaneous power draw and gain from the battery, combined with speed and RPM, which would net a much more life like shift simulation pattern.
I know. The tap needs to be read only and isolated as well for safety reasons. If you want to simulate gear shifting however, you'd have to emulate a brake tap or accelerator off, hence my comment about a lot higher price (read: a lot more work to make it safe). Personally I wouldn't want this for my car, but for the right money I would build it.

Unlike most of you, I totally agree with the OP. I miss the sound of an ICE, especially ones with high horsepower, torque and exhaust note. I would like to have a choice of different engine sounds from classic Ferrari V-12 to Cobra 427 as well as normally aspirated Formula ! V-12 engine. You have the choice of turning it on or off.

For those who trash "fake engine sounds" the music you're listening in your car whether from your iPhone, MP3 player or Satellite radio is "fake music" because its not live. So for some of us lisening to a high performance engine is like music to my ears. LOL

For those who trash "fake engine sounds" the music you're listening in your car whether from your iPhone, MP3 player or Satellite radio is "fake music" because its not live. S

That's hardly an appropriate analogy. MUSAK is "fake music" in the same way that playing non-genuine engine sounds on a car that doesn't even have an engine is "fake".

Listening to recorded music from the original artist isn't "fake.".

If you ask Elon Musk, everything is "fake" as we're all just running in a simulation. He claims that our reality is a "one in billions" chance of being actual reality (the rest being simulations). So I guess we're all "fake".

That's hardly an appropriate analogy. MUSAK is "fake music" in the same way that playing non-genuine engine sounds on a car that doesn't even have an engine is "fake".

Listening to recorded music from the original artist isn't "fake.".

If you ask Elon Musk, everything is "fake" as we're all just running in a simulation. He claims that our reality is a "one in billions" chance of being actual reality (the rest being simulations). So I guess we're all "fake".

Then its totally okay to listen to fake engine sounds in a fake electric car?

I'd say I'm a car and motorcycle guy. I like my EVs quiet... and my racecars and motorcycles muffled. I can hear the engine and shift way quicker when I can hear the mechanical noises instead of exhaust roar. I'll give up a few ponies to keep alert. And pretty much all tracks now have restrictions anyhow.

It was totally wicked when I first got my Corvette ZR1. Besides just the blower whine, the exhaust had cutouts that kicked open at a certain RPM and pedal position. It sounded sweet. However, for city use? Pointless unless you enjoy traffic court.

Something I wrote up really quick (I failed English 1A three times - I am not a writer).

Ok, I am officially a Volthead.

Yes, it sounds silly but I am sure petrol head and gearhead had a rough start. What else do you call someone who converted from ICE to electricity? I don’t know.

I do know I have always loved cars, motorcycles and gas engines. Growing up I listened to car theme music and wanted car parts for presents. In 1982 my father took me to Laguna Seca (on the back of an RD350). We watched three-time world champion Kenny Roberts race Freddie Spencer on 500GP bikes – great racing and so many wheelies. A year later top fuel dragsters alter my concept of power and speed. It was the first time I saw sound waves. Gary Beck set a new quarter mile record with a 5.39 pass – the ground shook it was so fast! The first time I heard a Ferrari Formula one V12 it gave me goose bumps – like a symphony but more intense! The Gumball rally is my favorite movie and I have two stroke premix scented candle in my office.

But, the P85D Tesla has ruined engines for me. Its quiet seamless instant insane (I don’t have Ludacris) supply of torque has converted me. Clutches, turbos, cams, gears, pistons – all obsolete with a simple electric motor. Complex traction control algorithms struggling to balance ignition, fuel, air and power pulses are replaced by smooth precise controllable power. Altitude? No problem, elevation has no impact on an EV – Pikes Peak anyone? Ironically it is the silent motor of the model S that I love. The silent 3.2 second rush to 60 is sublime. Normal commuting is calmer, music sounds better and tire noise becomes the loudest part of driving.

Friday I rode the Alta Motors Motorcycle. It is awesome!

Two shiny new Alta Motors Redshift SMs greeted me behind Rocket (my work). They were beautiful. I loved the look – simple clean lines and no exhaust! My Alta chaperone (Bob) talked me through a quick overview – throttle maps – display – no gears - no clutch – no problem. Then the start sequence - key on – starter button (no sound) – live motor! It was eerie quiet. I was wearing my Aerostitch (not leathers) and it was a not my bike, so I started with cautious don’t crash map 1 (map 1 has no regen). Immediately I felt comfortable on the SM. Too comfortable. I bumped up to map 3 my second parking lot pass - instant power wheelies. Wow, time for a joy demo ride.

Cool! Was my first thought on normal streets. The Alta SM has crazy torque. Medium launches will lift the front tire. Stealth wheelies become dangerously addictive. We rode by an MSF parking lot training class and I am sure the MSF instructors did not appreciate my antics. Sorry, I was having a blast. The SM is so light and nimble it excels in city playgrounds streets. It launches hard. The guy in the FZ9 was totally surprised. Luckily the barely audible motor draws very little attention. Setting up for the first right hander of my testing loop I let the map 3 motor regen slow the SM – too slow. It railed through the corner and rocketed out of the turn. The Alta SM is amazing.

I picked up the pace little by little. The Pirelli tires worked well…as well as non-Dunlop tires can work. I could lift the front wheel out of low speed corners at will. I need one!

A couple of footnotes

At stop lights, whisper conversations are possible with another Alta Redshift SM rider.

Accidently twisting the throttle at a stop will launch the bike. No more revving engines at a stoplight.

Stopping without a clutch is weird. Your left hand is lost.

Getting off the bike I checked the “off” button 10 times. I see a future of accidental bike launches.

Above 50mph the acceleration rush is replaced with steady acceleration.

It is really quiet.

The brakes are great.

It normally gets 50-60 miles on a charge. We got 23. I am pretty sure that was my fault.

I am a volthead and I need one of these bikes (maybe two SM and MX).