Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WANTED: Engine Noise Simulator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that's pretty easy to implement - there are lot of vehicle simulators with engine sounds, basically the sound part is couple pages of code ( plus 'simulated engine' - it's another couple pages of code - there is no need to be absolutely correct here - just to be good enough). Now what is needed - input to the code current speed, accelerator pressure - and viola - there is requested sound.

so for Tesla it might be an exercise for newbie programmer and for users - an Easter egg :)

Reactions: gavine and JohnnyG
I admit there are times I wish I could activate an APP in the car to replicate car noises - purely for fun - especially with passengers. I did this with my daughter last year when we were driving around and I rolled down the windows, found a soundtrack on Slacker for top-fuel funny cars and accelerated to try and match the soundtrack. We laughed so hard...!

It would be fun to make your car sound like a Ferrari sometimes and a semi-truck other times. Maybe even a high-revving motorcycle. Of course 99% of the time I revel in the Tesla silence... but there are times this would be fun. :)

Reactions: gavine and JohnnyG
I admit there are times I wish I could activate an APP in the car to replicate car noises - purely for fun - especially with passengers. I did this with my daughter last year when we were driving around and I rolled down the windows, found a soundtrack on Slacker for top-fuel funny cars and accelerated to try and match the soundtrack. We laughed so hard...!

It would be fun to make your car sound like a Ferrari sometimes and a semi-truck other times. Maybe even a high-revving motorcycle. Of course 99% of the time I revel in the Tesla silence... but there are times this would be fun. :)

There are 3rd party apps for that. One such app is XLR8. When I was driving my Pruis a few years back I played around with this app haha.

It's available both in the Google Play store and in the Apple App Store.

Those that are older, and have been involved with true performance vehicles most of their lives, will have a visceral connection to the feel and sound of a high-output performance motor.
I love the whisper quiet of my S! Sometimes leave the radio off and listen to the quiet. And yet at times I miss the rumble of a muscle V8. Just being under the hood and giving gas for no other reason but to hear the rumble. Or why it's running as a V7. :(
Couple weeks ago I downloaded the engine APP and messed around with it. Tired of it after a couple days but it was funny for a minute at least :)

Reactions: JohnnyG
For those who have tested a Volt, they make what I believe is a synthetic EV sound when you floor it and it hits above 100kW.

That would be a nice feature to turn on and off. Although I'd prefer a high voltage crackling sound piped outside with synch'd flashing blue LEDs under the body would be sort of cool.

I am curious to those relative few who desire noise. Do you want the noise only inside the cabin for your personal enjoyment or do you wish the rest of the outside world to be subjected to the racket?
Inside, for my amusement only.... Keeping it stealthy on the outside....
Unless it sounds like a Pod Racer from Star Wars... that might be fun on the outside, LOL :p

For Tesla software devs:

as there is a demand from many people -

the sample code for engine sound :

vdrift/carsound.cpp at master · VDrift/vdrift · GitHub
vdrift/carengine.cpp at master · VDrift/vdrift · GitHub
( no need to copy this GPL code - but to get idea )

( complete game can be downloaded from VDrift )

this basic code could be extended to provide sounds to be more like in starting example video, but overall, given that it is not such difficult - it would be fun to have a feature for Teslas

• Disagree
Reactions: Pezpunk
For those who of you who want the sounds, how much are you willing to pay for it? If we collect enough money kickstarter style, I can build something for you that will read the accelerator position and speed and pipe in appropriate sounds. If you're willing to pay a lot more, I can even tap the brake or simulate foot off the accelerator to emulate gear changes (and synchronize with the sound of course)- the reason it will cost more is that anything that messes with car inputs will require safety certification. Any takers? How much are you willing to pay?

I had suggested a while ago on TMC that Tesla offer a virtual stick shift for the Model S, including clutch and engine sounds. I got flamed for it basically, and I wouldn't be willing to pay for sound-alone, but a stick shift mode would be awesome.

For those who have driven manual cars for years, next time you drive your Tesla, make pretend you're driving a stick. It's pretty amazing how well the Tesla accelerates when you do that. It's fun. Hardest part is trying to regen @ neutral during your "shifts".

Now, if a fake clutch pedal were there that put in neutral regen when depressed, that would be great. Also, the engine noise can be tied to the acellerator and clutch so that you can rev the engine virtually.

I'm not sure how much I would be willing to pay for this kit, but I think it would be popular. Maybe take a poll to gauge interest. I would definitely be interested.