Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze Maps should be coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+100000000

This would be the ultimate. I do NOT want to have to look down at my 4" phone screen doing 80MPH and try and add/update a pin. Just not worth the risk. Can it be done thru the Tesla browser, or is THAT the limiting factor?
The Tesla Browser isn't the limiting factor. The limiting factor is that Waze doesn't made a web-browser-only version. They currently only have app versions (i.e.. iOS, Android, etc). Which is mostly fine, because the majority of the population wouldn't have a need to run a browser version. Unless your laptop is WiFi connected, and has built-in GPS, a browser version wouldn't really work for you. Not to mention you would just use your mobile device anyway.
However, of course, if Waze & Tesla worked together, they could make an app for Tesla cars. (fingers crossed!)

I personally think that releasing any sort of SDK or integrating apps into the Tesla UI in a custom manner is the wrong way to go. Tesla really needs to implement Android Auto and CarPlay. Then adding Waze or Google Maps (or any other supported app) would use that interface. Developing custom mapping applications and Integrating third party apps into the Tesla system is a monumental waste of Tesla engineering time.

Can't speak to Android Auto, but you obviously haven't played with Apple's CarPlay. It's a total P.O.S.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
The real problem with the navigation package is that while Tesla invested in the nav system before the first production cars were released, using a combination of technology from Navigon/Garmin, Google and Tesla - since then they haven't done much to improve on the very basic navigation system released 4 years ago.

The largest improvement was the Trip Planner - which appears to be software Tesla developed on the console, with limited interaction with the navigation software (using the Navigon technology). We are still missing common nav features like waypoints and route customization.

Despite having a lot of real-time data available, the nav software provide less real-time traffic information than the Lexus I purchased over 10 years ago, which not only provided real-time traffic data on the area's major roads, it also posted warnings about upcoming traffic restrictions ("accident ahead, left lane closed").

Since 8.1 is supposed to use the navigation software to do on-ramp to off-ramp driving, including navigating through highway interchanges and FSD will use the navigation software for the entire route, clearly the current navigation software is nowhere close to being a replacement for a human driver's route planning - and the Waze technology is only part of what we're missing in the current nav system.

It's interesting that the FSD demo isn't even using the navigation system - look at the console during the video, the nav software isn't even running...

It really doesn't matter how Tesla does it - they can't continue with their aggressive plans to rollout EAP/FSD unless we see some huge improvements in the nav system, including functionality like Waze.

Reactions: msnow
I did get to play briefly wit Apple Carplay and Android Auto both in my Impala loaner recently (while my Tesla was in the shop for a few days). I would have spent more time, but said Impala was basically an ash tray as it wreaked of cigarettes and couldn't stand to be in it for long. Anyway, I came away impressed overall, but my thoughts were:

1. Interface - Apple Carplay (AC) interface was more familiar (as it just tries to look like the phone icons) vs. Android Auto (AA) which has a more dedicated car view.
2. Voice Commands - Google (AA) voice commands were better interpreted than Apple's and quicker to respond. As an example, when I asked about a local restaurant. Google gave me directions to the one 2 miles from my house vs. the one 20 miles away (as did Apple / Siri).
3. Screen Real Estate - These technologies BEG for a larger screen. The map views in both were cool and all, but man, once you have used the larger map view in a giant Tesla screen, everything else just looks comically small.
4. Vehicle Integration - Integration with the car and AA / AC needs a lot of improvement. There is still way too much of a "you are either in the car's software or the phone's software" going on here. You have to "exit the app" to get back to car software as an example. Some stuff can still go on in the background of course, but it is way too binary as of right now. It makes me wonder how Tesla's integration might look since the screen is so large it lends itself to AC/AA on top and something else on bottom
5. What will be the "killer app?" - So right now, you can choose from 2.3 billion music applications in AA or AC (OK, a slight exaggeration), but honestly, I just don't need and more streaming music options in my life (Spotify fans jump in here of course). So the question remains "what is the killer app that will make everyone say 'THAT'S THE REASON TO HAVE AA/AC!". I mean, you can't be staring at the screen for more than a second or two while driving so what will push everyone over the edge? There are, of course, any number of one-off things that could be created. Waze, per this thread, would be a godsend for some, but "meh" for others. Still, when it happens that is when the lack of this integration in the Tesla will become painful.

This would be amazing! For now, I'll continue to use this in a browser window.

I love the Waze app, however our local A$$hat is back with fake construction alerts to discourage neighborhood traffic ... :eek:

upload_2016-12-22_13-36-17.png

So today i was in a very interesting meeting with a Google/Waze insider who told me Elon had a custom WAZE app developed and is currently running on his Tesla. I know Tesla is working on a official SDK. Hopefully you guys will be getting it soon. I unfortunately have to wait till my Model 3 comes out.

So the meeting didn't go so well I take it??

Tesla talked about doing a 3rd party API early in the life of the Model S - and had plans to offer an App Store (which was shown in the pre-production pictures of the console UI). Tesla hasn't made any mention of this for several years, and with increased cybersecurity concerns, it seems less likely Tesla will ever provide a 3rd party API or App Store for the console processor, and if they do anything, it will be with some form of screen mirroring with apps running on a mobile device - not the car's processors.

Tesla is rolling their own navigation app (NAV 2.0) to replace the awkward integration of Navigon/Garmin/TomTom/Google/Tesla data and software (NAV 1.0) we are using today.

Rather than having a custom WAZE app to run on Tesla, what seems more likely is for WAZE to provide a plug-in for NAV 2.0, providing the higher quality, real-time, traffic condition information that EAP/FSD will need to meet their program goals (driving better and safer than a human).

10 years ago, our Lexus LS had a real-time traffic feature (provided by SiriusXM) that provided not only current speeds on the major highways inside cities, but also had pop-up warnings on upcoming traffic issues along the route. While NAV 1.0 has much better coverage on current speeds (likely using Google's traffic speed data), we lack any notifications about upcoming traffic issues (such as "Accident ahead, right 2 lanes closed"), which would be very helpful - for both human driving and EAP/FSD.

Still scratching my head why Tesla would waste their time reinventing the wheel when Waze is damn near perfect.

Waze doesn't support offline usage, other OEMs have struggled with integrating Waze due to the privacy implications around the data that Waze/Google wants access to.

Plus it's not great for a company to be tied at the whims of another for such key functionality like navigation. It's one thing if Tesla got into the business of 3rd party apps and Waze was one of them, but making your primary navigation system Waze-based would not be beneficial in the long run. If anything, Tesla has potentially much more information than any navigation app thanks to the AP sensor suite. It knows what lane you're in, what lane you should be in, and can base traffic flow decisions off of that.

Having followed the discussions about Waze, app SDK’s, and app mirroring I’ve come to think that one likely, but not often discussed, option available to Tesla is what is the approach Alabata has taken with WebLink.

What Elon tweeted about a year and a half ago, app mirroring, is a difficult promise to fulfill, at least for iPhones and as usually imagined. I think most envision the phones home screen mirrored on the center console, but I think this is unlikely. The one way to do this natively, via AirPlay, doesn’t seem to support touch feedback so the utility of it would be limited since the user would still have to use the phone for touch input. I don’t know what Androids approach to this would be but in both cases it would be dependent on OS level support that Google and Apple may not be enthusiastic about.

The other option to app mirroring is something similar to WebLink and something that Tesla could, maybe, more easily do with backward compatibility to most if not all cars. In this case, the mirroring isn’t handled by the phone OS but rather by an app on the phone. So any plugins like Waze or media control would be served by the phone through the app running on it onto the center console. You wouldn’t be able to play Pokémon Go for instance. Instead the user would have to launch the Tesla app and if the developer had written a plugin for the app then that plugin would be mirrored on screen.

There was a WebLink demo at CES that, in my opinion, was less than impressive but at least showed how the process would work. Essentially an app on the phone was running a Waze plugin written in HTML5 and displayed on a Kenwood head unit with full interactivity and without the need for CarPlay or AndroidAuto.

Below is a link to give an idea of how this would work. Ultimately, I hope that someone at Tesla is working on something. My opinion is that Tesla missed the boat on this and I hope that they don’t forget this oversight.

• Informative
Reactions: David99 and Nevek
Still scratching my head why Tesla would waste their time reinventing the wheel when Waze is damn near perfect.
While the reporting feature is nice, I've found that I just trust the built-in Navigation app and it does a better job of getting me to my destination faster in the Bay Area. I still use it as an alternative when they both reroute me to surface streets as a faster route due to traffic.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe