Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Website/Design Studio Update - Twin Chargers no longer available from factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If charging away from home is important, and superchargers are not sufficient, you'll get more bang for your buck with the CHAdeMO adapter than the dual chargers.

I don't know about that. Tesla is giving away HPWC's to businesses that install them, and that has really been taken advantage of a lot lately. I just noticed a couple installed near me, and the Supercharger map is now showing them with a smaller red circle and lightening bolt. If you travel with the car and have dual chargers, these seem to be more available than CHAdeMO's and they are likely to increase at a faster rate than CHAdeMO's:

Find Us | Tesla Motors

You do need to make sure you can use them, since many require that you are a guest of the business before you can use them.

My SWAG is that a new charging option will be unveiled in the next month or so. Totally unsubstantiated guess based only on Tesla watching for a year or so (which many can best by multi-years, so weigh-in).

Very curious to hear the official word on this. I have a HPWC and love that I can charge fairly quickly at home. Wonder what this means for the X?

This was my first thought as well. I had dual chargers in my P85+, and now in P85D. It is used regularly, when I have to charge >40A to squeeze into my time of day "super off peak" window which is 4 hours long. I will want to the same for the X we have on order, and it would be annoying to have to 1/ Pay more for it 2/ Have it installed at the SC. Oh well.

Summary of today's changes as I see them from the US. Feel free to correct or add to this list.

0. Base price is the same
1. Premium paint options price increase (metallic paints went from $750 to $1000, pearl white and MC red are still $1500)
2. Interior trim options price increase (carbon fiber went from $800 to $1000, wood trims increased to $750)
3. Next-gen seats now available for 60/85/85D, price unchanged ($3500)
4. Dual chargers option moved to accessories page, price increase from $1500 to $2000. After-market install price is down from $3600 to $2000.
5. HPWC option moved to accessories page, price unchanged
6. Description of tech package with autopilot changed, price unchanged
7. Winter/summer wheel packages moved to accessories page

Overall it looks like a minor price increase combined with an effort to simplify the order page and de-emphasize dual chargers. The total price of my 85D configuration went up ~$1,000.

Anything else I missed?

You missed the part of me being aggravated that I am unable to get a Brown Metallic at all, and that the configuration I was planning on ordering in 3 months is going to be more that it was previously. I may go used at this point and get the Brown paint and give up on the autopilot. This is kind of like seeing your investments take a hit shortly before you were going to sell out of a position.

At least there is this:

Tesla Gear Shop Premium Rear Console

Well compared to my October order of my 85D the identical configuration today would be $1750 more. $1000 of that comes from the D increase of $1000 back in early November. $250 from paint cost increase and $500 from the dual chargers increase. Kinda surprised how Tesla keeps raising the price after Elon said on the Q4 2014 Earnings Conference Call that he thought the car was already expensive enough.

However, I do think this is them trying to accelerate production. If they can push dual chargers to service centers and it isn't super hard for them to install then it can save time there. If the extra $250 cost on the paint encourages more people to order black or white then maybe they can speed up production.

Given that this is now the 2nd paint change it just reinforces my opinion that paint remains a significant production constraint for Tesla.

My concern is public chargers for EU/HK/AU spec cars with IEC62196-2 sockets. A single charger in the car would limit those to 16A, even at 32A single phase public charging stations. By steering people away from dual chargers at order time (it is not even listed now), they are gonna get a lot of questions raised after delivery.

This. In fact, the situation in the EU is so confusing that Tesla specifically advised me against ordering the dual chargers (I'm talking Jul'13 here), before realizing after delivery that I absolutely needed them if I wanted to charge single phase 32A. I consequently had them retrofitted to my car. I find this move so puzzling that I'm tempted to believe there's something hidden behind.

Updated list (Originally Posted by Coiled):

1. Premium paint options price increase (metallic paints went from $750 to $1000, pearl white and MC red are still $1500)
2. Interior trim options price increase (carbon fiber went from $800 to $1000, wood trims increased to $750)
4. Dual chargers option moved to accessories page, price increase from $1500 to $2000. After-market install price is down from $3600 to $2000.
6. Description of tech package with autopilot changed: navigation is now standard, price unchanged
8. Security package is no longer available

I added "
navigation is now standard" and 8. I believe security package was not very popular, too many stories about alarm going off when someone walks by.

Updated list (Originally Posted by Coiled):

6. Description of tech package with autopilot changed: navigation is now standard, price unchanged
8. Security package is no longer available

I added "
navigation is now standard" and 8. I believe security package was not very popular, too many stories about alarm going off when someone walks by.

My ordered S 85 does have a base price increase. Differences in BELGIUM:
- base price from 78.600 EURO towards 82.440 EURO.
- paint from 750 EUR towards 1.050 EUR
- Carbon fiber from 800 EUR towards 1.050 EUR
- Tech Package from 4.200 EUR towards 4.400
- Twin charger option not available, not clear if it is now included as a standard
- security package gone (not clear if this now included standard)

This. In fact, the situation in the EU is so confusing that Tesla specifically advised me against ordering the dual chargers (I'm talking Jul'13 here), before realizing after delivery that I absolutely needed them if I wanted to charge single phase 32A. I consequently had them retrofitted to my car. I find this move so puzzling that I'm tempted to believe there's something hidden behind.

This is fascinating. I'd always assumed that the situation was the same across the EU but perhaps it is not.

In the UK all Model S cars are built with dual chargers installed whether they were ordered that way or not (Tesla will not admit this, but it's true).

If you only ordered single charger then for 3 phase charging there's a software-imposed 16A per phase limit (i.e. 11kW) but both chargers are present in the car and are used.

The result is that all UK Model S can charge at 32A single phase, whether or not it was specified with single or dual chargers. UK owners who have asked to upgrade to dual chargers after delivery (to get 22kW 3 phase charging) have been billed £1250 (the design studio price) and upgraded OTA with no service centre visit required.

Is this not the case in other European countries?

That's very interesting!

Physically my car (UK) had dual chargers shipped from the factory as I believe all UK cars did. Tesla had recommended to order holders to use Chargemaster to install a home Type 2 32A single phase EVSE unit (we have a grant system for this, so we don't get a UMC, just a Type2 cable)

For the first 2 weeks of ownership, I could charge at 32A x 3phase x 240v i.e. 22kW on public points. People started noticing on the forums some of us had received something they'd paid for, and Tesla issued an OTA software update which capped the 3 phase charging to 16A, but maintained the ability to charge at 32A on a single phase supply (7kW). I also know some paid the factory price to remove the cap.

Unless there is a new design of charger that can handle 32A single phase, they will have to roll out duals to everyone in single phase countries, as 16A single phase just isn't enough to charge the car overnight (especially in our 7 hour "Economy 7" window).

I was probably the first to get v6.1 here in the UK, and as soon as I did, I started getting really wacky charging performance on 3 phase supplies (as did one other UK user, who had also only paid for "single chargers"). Now either both of us had a hardware malfunction (the SC replaced both chargers in my car before doing a firmware patch), or this artificial limit placed on the cars wasn't tested in the QA.

My ordered S 85 does have a base price increase. Differences in BELGIUM:
- base price from 78.600 EURO towards 82.440 EURO.
- paint from 750 EUR towards 1.050 EUR
- Carbon fiber from 800 EUR towards 1.050 EUR
- Tech Package from 4.200 EUR towards 4.400
- Twin charger option not available, not clear if it is now included as a standard
- security package gone (not clear if this now included standard)

The EUR prices increased on Jan-24. You were lucky enough to order on the same day as I, week before the price increase.

FWIW, I'm one of those that didn't order the dual charger and don't personally have a need for it. There used to be only a 1 or 2 high amp J1772 public chargers in the state, but there are now multiple HPWCs avail around AZ because of Tesla's destination charging program. I still feel the same way and don't plan on getting a 2nd charger installed -- I'm fine with charging at 10kW at home and using Superchargers on road trips. In 21 months, I've had one time where I could have taken advantage of dual chargers -- but there is now 2 Superchargers near that location.

As for the price change, the $500 increase from the factory option is exactly the same decrease from the original price of the HPWC. So if I were to add the 2nd charger and buy the HPWC now, it would be exactly the same as the original options when I ordered - $3250