Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I Rejected my White P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got an update that my car was completed and delivered to the showroom.

It was damaged in transport from the body shop back to the showroom (a rock chip) while being transported on a flatbed.

So they are sending it back to the body shop for more paint work. Another 1-2 weeks....

I have already put more miles on the rental than I have with my own car (I think I had just broke 1000 miles).
Oy! I feel for you, dude. :(

Small update: I went to pickup my car today but decided to wait and see if they could fix the remaining issues first. So still driving the loaner S85.

The dent and paint chips in the door were gone after the repair. The door now closes smoothly. The door handle is more flush (although not perfectly flush but I can settle). The inside scratch was painted over not perfect but good enough for an inside panel (some wrinkles near the bend now).

The Front bumper looked a different color from the rest of the car. Kind of had a yellowish tint. I wonder if they replaced the whole bumper? Delivery center guy that was helping me said he could see it too, and so did the wife so I don't think it's just in my head it was close but a little off? It will be funny if they tell me they didn't paint / replace the whole bumper, but I think they did.

Frunk alignment was still off a smidgen, but much better than before acceptable to my standards.

Trunk panel gaps were better too, but there was a new problem.
On the drivers side the entire trunk panel edge sticks up noticeably over the rear quarter panel. On the Passenger side the light on the trunk is sitting about a CM lower than the tailight (but it's lined up on the other side).

While I was there I turned out the adjustment bumpers to see if I could fix the issue. I was able to fix the issue with the taillight alignment (see photo below) by fully extended the passenger side bumper, and fully retracting the drivers side bumper (see pictures). The amount of adjustment looks ridiculous when you see the bumpers though. However this made the trunk harder to close. Even the service guy noticed as it tended to bounce back open if not closed hard enough. Also fixing the passenger side taillight alignment didn't resolve the issue with the panel sticking up past the quarter panel on the drivers side.

I also noticed some light love marks on the passenger side front quarter panel (they stood out because the rest of the car was shiny). They should polish out though, they were not deep, just something I noted.

There was a little white paint on my kagu floormats, and on the carpet above the floormat (particles) I'm fairly certain I can remove all this though without too much fuss, just another something I noticed. Something had stained my white center console wrap (I think it absorbed the sharpie and blue tape on my keycard where they wrote my name. I forgot to take pictures but it looked real bad, but these things are less important since I was going to replace this piece of vinyl anyways.

In addition to the fixes they surprised me with a HPWC in the trunk. Quite nice an unexpected gift!

I will see what they say tomorrow hopefully. Not sure if I should just request a new car at this point or what? I might get screwed out of the tax credit though if I do such a thing..?

Passenger Tail Light / Trunk alignment.
Tail Ligight Alignment.jpg

Driver Side Bumper Adjusted in all the way to correct the tail light alignment.
trunkBumperTurnedInAllTheWay.jpg

Passenger Side Bumper Adjusted to fix the mis alignment.
trunkBumperTurnedOutAllTheWay.jpg

Sometimes I read these type of threads and can’t really see what maybe the owner saw in their photos. Looking through your photos I can now empathize with your written posts. This is really disappointing and I’m sure they have tried their best to fix it. I don’t think in good conscience I could be happy with it as is if it were mine. As a happy Tesla owner, I’m sorry this has been your experience. I have a Sept build, LR AWD white 3, so very similar to your config and probably built around the same time as yours and only had very minor tiny paint spots and one alignment issue. Took a month with the shop swamped but came back looking perfect. The car has been great driving. If it were me I think I would see what they could find me for delivery before the end of the year. Hope you will stay a Tesla owner and get to enjoy owning one. Let us know where you end up going from here.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
@Glamisduner I see you are in escondido... are you going to the service center in Miramar? If I were you, at this point I would ask for another car. I think you have been more than patient, and you have pictures to document everything.

They seem to have VERY (very) fast delivery on Model 3 performance vehicles right now (what everyone seems to be calling performance +, with the 20s and performance pack included). I dont think they make performance without it now. If I were you, I would see if I could work out some sort of deal for a performance + new build by asking them to escalate the issue... especially since the car was assigned to someone else that was rejected.

Tesla should be able to see the history of the car, so SOMEONE there is going to know who the first person was, when, etc.

I think this is what I would be asking for if I was in your shoes (trying to work out how much the price is different, them eating all or most of that, etc.

I am just curious how the local service center performs... this thread is somewhat depressing for a new, soon to be Tesla owner. Have had issues with my BMWs before but nothing like you have had for a new car. I had electrical issues on a 2016 X5 and after they tried to fix it three times I asked for them to take it back and give us a new X5, and they did (there is a bit more to that story than that but thats the cliff notes version).

To add, I reserved awd dual motor model. Rejected yesterday because of cracked roof. They found another vehicle to match specs...Went to another location in florida and accepted delivery on alternate model 3 yesterday, but returned it today for refund. Pictures of paint attached. VIN for both were in the 80xxx range. What a frustrating experience... I will try one last time. If not acceptable, I will just give up on model 3. Too many paint issues. Otherwise, the car is wonderful.

Attachments

• 20181202_083901.jpg
    20181202_083901.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby
I sent them an email asking about another car, but I think that this point they are as disappointed in me not accepting it as they can be. I just hope they don't get so pissed now to tell me I have to accept it as is, because at least they were trying to fix the issues.

I sent them an email asking about another car, but I think that this point they are as disappointed in me not accepting it as they can be. I just hope they don't get so pissed now to tell me I have to accept it as is, because at least they were trying to fix the issues.

If they tell you "no", try being polite, having your data, and saying "I understand that you guys have done everything to try to fix this, but I really would like..... Can you assist me with escalating this? I call that tactic "politely insistent" It doesnt always work, but, as far as myself, having spent a lifetime in roles that involve "customers", there are two things that are constant:

1. There is always someone who can say "yes" to a reasonable request, phrased in a reasonable way.
2. There is always a big gap between what a person "HAS" to do and what they "CAN" do for you (especially person listed in point 1).

The trick in any customer service encounter is to convince the person you are dealing with that YOU are the person they WANT to help, and that you are "worth" helping. Some people get mad, and that sometimes works, but definitely burns bridges too.

Convincing someone that you are a reasonable human being, but that any reasonable human being would be a bit frustrated by what you have went through, and you would be an estatic tesla customer if they can XXXXXX is the trick.

You likely know all this but writing it out for anyone else following.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

The Response!

"If a buy back is the route you’d like to follow, I’d advise you get in contact with someone from the delivery team either in person or by phone to see if you are within guidelines still for a return. But the loaner will need to be returned. At this time, my technicians believe your liftgate is well within specifications/standards and does not require any further adjustments from its original state on Saturday. Please let me know what’d you’d like to do ."

Wow I called that one!

What about the tail lights?
The one side will just not line up with the lift gate.
those pics make me nervous for my delivery on Wed.
Just look everything over really well and if your not happy with something side on refusing the delivery. It's not worth the headache just to get the car a little sooner. Grated with the tax credit situation you might have to use your best judgement.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
@Glamisduner I see you are in escondido... are you going to the service center in Miramar? If I were you, at this point I would ask for another car. I think you have been more than patient, and you have pictures to document everything.

They seem to have VERY (very) fast delivery on Model 3 performance vehicles right now (what everyone seems to be calling performance +, with the 20s and performance pack included). I dont think they make performance without it now. If I were you, I would see if I could work out some sort of deal for a performance + new build by asking them to escalate the issue... especially since the car was assigned to someone else that was rejected.

Tesla should be able to see the history of the car, so SOMEONE there is going to know who the first person was, when, etc.

I think this is what I would be asking for if I was in your shoes (trying to work out how much the price is different, them eating all or most of that, etc.

I am just curious how the local service center performs... this thread is somewhat depressing for a new, soon to be Tesla owner. Have had issues with my BMWs before but nothing like you have had for a new car. I had electrical issues on a 2016 X5 and after they tried to fix it three times I asked for them to take it back and give us a new X5, and they did (there is a bit more to that story than that but thats the cliff notes version).
Actually everything was handled by the delivery center, they just happened to get a loaner vehicle for me before the service center did. Since they can't fix the issues I asked about a buyback or replacement vehicle. Waiting for their response.

This sucks. When combined with a litany of small issues I’ve read here, I’m starting to question whether I should follow-through with my AWD purchase. $7.5k of tax credit is nice, but may not be worth it to me.
I still want a model 3! Although, allot of that is because Tesla really is the only game in town. I have been contemplating a kona though, or a volt / bolt. I still have my truck if I need more range, so maybe I could make a commuter like that work, then just save the rest of the money for a better EV purchase in another 5 years. I dunno, it would work, but it probably won't make me happy every day after owning the 3. Actually the volt would probably work better than the Kona. I would use only about a gallon of gas per day on my regular commute.

I still want a model 3! Although, allot of that is because Tesla really is the only game in town. I have been contemplating a kona though, or a volt / bolt. I still have my truck if I need more range, so maybe I could make a commuter like that work, then just save the rest of the money for a better EV purchase in another 5 years. I dunno, it would work, but it probably won't make me happy every day after owning the 3. Actually the volt would probably work better than the Kona. I would use only about a gallon of gas per day on my regular commute.

Understood. Having driven M3 three times, including an overnight one, I like it. As you said, given certain parameters, it is the only game in town. Given my needs, or desires, a design like that of Rivian suv would be nice. Obviously, there are often trade-offs to our decisions.