Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I Rejected my White P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Understood. Having driven M3 three times, including an overnight one, I like it. As you said, given certain parameters, it is the only game in town. Given my needs, or desires, a design like that of Rivian suv would be nice. Obviously, there are often trade-offs to our decisions.
Yea I'd take a Rivian. No autopilot, but it would work well enough. I'm pretty sure it will be far out of my price range once it is actually released though. Not sure it would fit in my garage either, but it might be possible if I changed our garage door hah.

I have some tuff decisions ahead. I think if they offer to buy back my car without going through arbitration, I will lose FUSC, and free internet, not sure on delivery fees and interest I have paid on the car so far. I may well lose on the federal tax credit too, because I hear they deduct 7500 from your refunded price. But I don't think I can qualify for a second tax credit even if they were able to get me another car before the end of the year. I dunno, we will see what they say. I'm will to work with them on getting a proper car still, despite all the stress, but one way or another I'm sure I'm going to lose out at this point which is unfortunate as it makes me want to buy another brand. Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a Tesla owner.

You guys shouldn't worry, I just have bad luck with almost everything. I'm sure your cars will look great like all of the other model 3's I see every day in the parking lot.

Last edited:
What about asking them to exchange the car (buyback and replace) with a model 3 performance + (and either you paying the up charge or them splitting it with you?). No idea on the rebate.. if you already applied for it I could see why they would deduct from the price, but no idea on the mechanics of that.

I am absolutely 1000% positive that they could deliver you a model 3 performance + in southern california before the end of the year. Like 1000% positive... given how fast myself and several others I have seen post about "I ordered on X day and got scheduled for delivery 3-4-5-7 days later".

You would likely want to move fast though, because I expect the looming reduction in the rebate will spur people to action. It also does not hurt tesla that when you got to a tesla store right now, there are so many people it looks like a mini mob (inducing a sort of "mob" type mentality in a persons decision making process of "wow, these cars must be as great as everyone says they are... I better get one NOW before I cant get the rebate!!!").

I really hope it works out. Hopefully they replace your car. I really think pushing for an Model 3 performance + would actually be easier for them to fill on an order than an Model 3 performance without the performance pack ( I am not calling them "M3's nor performance "minus"), would be the move I would make if I was in your situation. "i really love the car, I love tesla, I am just frustrated by THIS car. Can we swap me into a current model 3 with the performance pack which is now standard? I understand I will lose the free supercharging, but can I have the 6 month supercharging that is now standard?"

Of course, you have to be talking to a decision maker to work on that. Saying all that to someone who cant decide and is just kicking it up the chain would not work, because it would get "telephone gamed" and your message would not get through.

Anyway, I hope it all works out, I am pulling for you. I have delivery later today and am excited and somewhat apprehensive. I havent felt like this going to pick up a new car before... ever. I have been this excited, but not this mix of "Im so excited to get this car!! mixed with "Oh my gawd I hope they didnt !@$!@!@ up this car I am going to have to live with for 6 years because of how much I am spending on it!!!!"

This is almost assuredly not true. You will lose the ability to claim the credit. The federal tax credit is between you and Uncle Sam. No Tesla involvement, though they like to advertise post-tax credit pricing now (to their discredit).
I was just going off others on this forum that had gone through a buyback. They told me the way it works is they refund you full amount minus the $7500 tax credit and then you just order a new car.

I just got done talking to a delivery manager, he said they will look into fixing my car again but it might need to go to the service center and when I mentioned buyback if they can't fix it he said they do have some inventory cars to ensure I could still get the tax credit but wanted to see if they could fix my car first. If I was to do a buyback I would be happiest with that option since it would likely include PUP which my car will forever be missing that $5000 option. But if they can fix the alignment on the tailgate I will consider that acceptable since that's what the contract I signed was for, just need to accept paying more, getting less, later than everyone else. I admit I'll just always be a little bitter about all the other Performance guys getting Performance Upgrade Package for free while I had to wait longer than everyone else to get a correct car due to all these issues. But it is what it is I guess.

Seems they are still willing to work with me, and I'm hoping I can still stick with the Tesla brand.

I've had my Model 3 for about 6 weeks now. When I picked up my car on Friday it seemed fine, but it went straight to be wrapped the following Monday. These guys were experts ... they found 3 small blemishes, one was through the clear coat, and didn't want to wrap defects. They went back to the dealer with me, pointed out the defects (I would never have noticed them). The Tesla dealer scheduled me for paint repair, so I got to drive my car for 2 weeks before losing it for 3 days for paint repair (I did get a loaner from the repair company) ... all paid for by Tesla.

I've had my Model 3 for about 6 weeks now. When I picked up my car on Friday it seemed fine, but it went straight to be wrapped the following Monday. These guys were experts ... they found 3 small blemishes, one was through the clear coat, and didn't want to wrap defects. They went back to the dealer with me, pointed out the defects (I would never have noticed them). The Tesla dealer scheduled me for paint repair, so I got to drive my car for 2 weeks before losing it for 3 days for paint repair (I did get a loaner from the repair company) ... all paid for by Tesla.
but then you have to wait 90 days to have it wrapped after repaint...

I picked up the car last night. What do you know, they were able to align the panel and taillight after all (at least close enough for me).

Car looked great so it's finally at home!
So Glad to hear you get to take it home and enjoy the drive! You went through quite a lot to make it this far, hopefully the journey is smooth from here on out.

Reactions: Glamisduner
YAY!!! so happy for you! Was waiting to hear the outcome of this for you. Thanks for letting us know.
yea I was worried after some of the stories about cars coming back worse than they were before. Well it wasn't perfect, but the body shop Tesla is using in SD is great, I can't tell where they painted it. They did end up fixing the trunk after I requested buyback (because it was worse than it was originally), but in the end everything looks as good as it can. The only things that are a bit annoying is the driver seat looks worn or dirty on the bolster you rub when you exit, and I have to re-do my center vinyl (but I was going to redo it anyways). They used painters tape for labeling the keycard with my name on it written in sharpie, and they left it on the center console (where you put it to drive) and the sharpie dyed the white vinyl wrap. There's a little paint on the kagu floor-mats but it should power wash out.
Ok now maybe I'm nit picking a bit :)

They also provided a free wall connector for the wait (PUP would have been nicer of course) but it was certainly a nice surprise.

Reactions: Cowby and Jedi2155
yea I was worried after some of the stories about cars coming back worse than they were before. Well it wasn't perfect, but the body shop Tesla is using in SD is great, I can't tell where they painted it. They did end up fixing the trunk after I requested buyback (because it was worse than it was originally), but in the end everything looks as good as it can. The only things that are a bit annoying is the driver seat looks worn or dirty on the bolster you rub when you exit, and I have to re-do my center vinyl (but I was going to redo it anyways). They used painters tape for labeling the keycard with my name on it written in sharpie, and they left it on the center console (where you put it to drive) and the sharpie dyed the white vinyl wrap. There's a little paint on the kagu floor-mats but it should power wash out.
Ok now maybe I'm nit picking a bit :)

They also provided a free wall connector for the wait (PUP would have been nicer of course) but it was certainly a nice surprise.

Glad everything went okay after all!
I had delivery on Saturday and I also had to not accept the delivery. I had a few scratches and was worried to go through a the headache you went if I had accepted the car.

Most of them are minor scratches but one of them requires a paint job.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Di5PNULPW5WJMvmL8

Would you have accepted this?

I had delivery on Saturday and I also had to not accept the delivery. I had a few scratches and was worried to go through a the headache you went if I had accepted the car.

My advice is to always reject the car if it is not to your satisfaction. Lesson learned when I missed out on PUP etc. It does not pay to be an early adopter with tesla even though they offer you some enticing perks. If I would have rejected the second car, I would have gotten a cheaper white interior, and the performance upgrade package for free, AND likely had my car a month sooner.

That aside, no I still would not have accepted that, thats worse than mine, was paint the only issue? However with the tax credit ending, if it was to accept that car or miss out on the tax credit I might go for it (disclaimer* this might be bad advice!), but just realize you might not actually get back for a while, black paint will be easier to match than pearl white. They will give you a tesla loaner in the meantime. However I would request all those scratches to be buffed out so I could re-evaluate. That one will certainly need to be repainted but that can be done if it was the difference of getting the tax credit or 1/2 of it.

You made the right call. It's incredible that they even had you come to pick up the car in this condition. It's entirely possible that all of these scratches would polish out (perhaps not the one on the trunk lid), but that should have been done before delivery. I'd discourage picking up the vehicle if it has any issues that require it to be left at the service center to rectify. Personally I'm waiting on my due bill issues and hope to eventually get a ranger to address most of them; I perceive that there is less risk.

If you look hard enough at any Model 3 (personally I haven't seen a perfect one), there is very likely to be some sort of fit & finish issue (panel misalignment or whatever), but those aren't as egregious as the scratches above, as there is some sort of "spec" on all of those other types of issues, and since those other issues are on every vehicle, I can see that they have no choice but to deliver them.

Think of it as a practice run. If you wait for delivery long enough (6 months or so maybe), you might get the version 3 autopilot computer. You also might get all the bolts. You never know. Personally, I only benefited from putting off my delivery for a few weeks (though I didn't actually refuse a vehicle).

My advice is to always reject the car if it is not to your satisfaction. Lesson learned when I missed out on PUP etc. It does not pay to be an early adopter with tesla even though they offer you some enticing perks. If I would have rejected the second car, I would have gotten a cheaper white interior, and the performance upgrade package for free, AND likely had my car a month sooner.

That aside, no I still would not have accepted that, thats worse than mine, was paint the only issue? However with the tax credit ending, if it was to accept that car or miss out on the tax credit I might go for it (disclaimer* this might be bad advice!), but just realize you might not actually get back for a while, black paint will be easier to match than pearl white. They will give you a tesla loaner in the meantime. However I would request all those scratches to be buffed out so I could re-evaluate. That one will certainly need to be repainted but that can be done if it was the difference of getting the tax credit or 1/2 of it.
Haha well I'm in Canada, Quebec province. We have 8000$ CAD incentive until end of 2020 but at the rate it is going I think the funds will be depleted by March 2019

So I basically had two choices :
1) reject the car and get reassigned a new VIN
2) take the car and a mobile team will contact me this could be in a couple days up to 1 month

The issues with option 2 was that I was getting my car fully wrapped on Wednesday given that the black paint is not the best paint. I wanted black + full ppf instead of red, so the car would literally sit in my garage until mobile team contacts me.

On top of the above, the delivery agent had a lot of attitude. I've written the following complaint to request a change in delivery agent :
Hi xxxx,
We were supposed to get delivery of VIN 5YJ3E1EB0JF126yyy (under my wife's name xxxx)

My delivery didn't go so well on Saturday on December 8 unfortunately.

There were too many scratches and one scratch required a paint job. When asked about timing for mobile team, I was not provided with any hint of possible time not even a range, in fact it was hinted it could take months.

It really left me in the dark in my planning as I had planned a full wrap on my car this week before I really start driving the car, especially with all the salt & rocks in Montreal Canada. Having those scratches fix by my detailer would have required extra $ before he wraps the car.

Hence, I was really uncomfortable taking the car in the condition it was in.

In all honesty, I would have maybe accepted the car if it wasn't for the delivery agent's attitude and unwillingness to reassure or help. Not for a second I felt I was given reassurance that I will be taken care of. In fact, she rushed us by asking us if we were ready to sign the papers after I was sitting inside the car for not even 1 minute. Never has she showed us about the two car keys, the charger adapters, the charging process etc (nothing of what I saw on YouTube videos during a delivery process).

My Delivery Agent is : xxxxxxxx
May I ask to have a different delivery agent for the next delivery?

I was told that I will get a new VIN reassigned
What are the next steps from here? How long can I expect to wait and any way to make sure there are no scratches of such at delivery?
Not too sure if they'll even respond. My wife did not like the attitude of the girl, ladies detecting ladies attitude problems lol

You made the right call. It's incredible that they even had you come to pick up the car in this condition. It's entirely possible that all of these scratches would polish out (perhaps not the one on the trunk lid), but that should have been done before delivery. I'd discourage picking up the vehicle if it has any issues that require it to be left at the service center to rectify. Personally I'm waiting on my due bill issues and hope to eventually get a ranger to address most of them; I perceive that there is less risk.

If you look hard enough at any Model 3 (personally I haven't seen a perfect one), there is very likely to be some sort of fit & finish issue (panel misalignment or whatever), but those aren't as egregious as the scratches above, as there is some sort of "spec" on all of those other types of issues, and since those other issues are on every vehicle, I can see that they have no choice but to deliver them.

Think of it as a practice run. If you wait for delivery long enough (6 months or so maybe), you might get the version 3 autopilot computer. You also might get all the bolts. You never know. Personally, I only benefited from putting off my delivery for a few weeks (though I didn't actually refuse a vehicle).
Thanks for the reply!

I'm in Canada, Quebec province. We have 8000$ CAD incentive until end of 2020 but at the rate it is going I think the funds will be depleted by March 2019

I'm happy to hear im not the only one who would have rejected the car. On the way home I was questioning if I'm too complicated of a person and too picky

I would not have rejected a car for that. Those all look like they would buff out to me and probably fixed while you wait. Maybe one did require paint that was hard to interpret the picture.

The posts by Glamisduner looked a lot worse and would require repainting.

I would not have rejected a car for that. Those all look like they would buff out to me and probably fixed while you wait.

The posts by Glamisduner looked a lot worse and would require repainting.
Thanks for the reply
I agree that most is buffable except that one line paint scratch near the side wing camera.
They didn't offer to fix while I wait.
Also, the girls attitude was pretty insane, she was in a threatening tone "if you don't want this car we will give it to someone else and you can wait a couple months", so this wasn't helping to be honest

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo