Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the one thing you like the least about your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20" wheels (the only option on the 3P) with giant warnings about even moving the car when it's under 40F. They literally claim you shouldn't touch the tires (roll, inflate or deinflate) for 24 hours after it's been below 40F!

Pretty surprising for a car sold in the sierra foothills, even when it's over 100 in sacramento, it's often under 40F just an hour up 80.

• Helpful
Reactions: alexGS
1. The phone "key". It was never great, but it used to work most of the time. Now it rarely unlocks on walk up, and when it does, it still makes me swipe my "card" most of the time. How does that make any sense?! It used to always lock on walk away, but now it never does. I've realized that I'm going to have to buy the fob, which is a joke. I shouldn't have to pay extra in order to lock/unlock my vehicle, let alone on a "luxury" vehicle.

2. The seat position settings on my driver profile. They never stay the same. I swear, even after it adjusts to my profile settings, I have to readjust it the majority of the time. (Yes, I know how to "save" the settings.)

3. The dashcam, backup cam and sentry mode. My "right repeater" is essentially useless. The files are almost always corrupt, and when they aren't the quality is terrible (the other two cameras record properly 100% of the time).

The cameras don't do a great job at picking up nearby license plates. Sometimes you'll get just the right angle and lighting to get someone's tag number, but most of the time I do not. And that severely limits the functionality if you can't get that information.

It would be great if sentry mode identified which files actually had activity instead of saving 30 files every time there was an "event" or someone drove past your car in a parking lot. It is a p.i.t.a. to go through all those files. They add up QUICKLY!

At night, particularly when backing out of parking lots, or when driving with the rear cam on your center display since you can't see the headlights from cars immediately behind you (see #6), headlights create a massive white glare on the screen, making it impossible to determine how close a vehicle is.

4. The radio. Changing stations ("seeking"?) is whack. Sometimes the radio "freezes" when I do it. Other times it switches itself to a "streaming" channel even when I'm under the "radio" tab, and then you're stuck on the streaming station because when you hit steering wheel button it just skips to the next song and not the next station.

It won't let you use the steering wheel button to skip through ALL radio stations if you have any saved "favorites"; it will only skip through the favs even if you're in the "radio" tab and not the "favorites" tab. There's no "scan".

5. The auto wipers. Now, apparently it's been improved on a recent update which I don't have yet. But these currently suck (for me). My view is almost completely obstructed by rain before it wipes. But god forbid I get into my car when the windshield is wet after a morning dew/recent rain. The wipers go crazy for 5-10 seconds. Useless. It seems like it's rained every day for the last 2 weeks in south Florida, so this is pretty important to me.

6. The rear window visibility is bad at night. I'm primarily referring to a vehicle right behind you. Because that back window shelf is so high, it's IMPOSSIBLE to see their headlights. So when you take a brief glance in the rearview mirror, it's almost as if nothing is there since the vehicle just blends into the rest of the night time darkness.

7. No blind spot warning; inadequate drivers-side side mirror positioning. I'm able to position the passenger mirror in a spot where there's minimal/no blindspot. But the driver's side mirror just doesn't adjust far enough outward for me. And due to the shape of the mirror's "housing" unit, when I adjust it all the way to the outside, it scrapes against the housing and automatically angles the mirror downwards, totally defeating the purpose of what I was attempting in the first place.

This wouldn't be as bad if there were a blind spot warning indicator on the side mirrors...but there isn't. The center screen's notification is of no use in these situations.

8. Software updates via LTE (for those without reliable WiFi connections). My home wifi doesn't reach my parking area. And at work I have to park in a garage and am again out of wifi range. I have to contact Tesla to "push" the updates every few months. Lame.

There's a bunch of things I don't like but I'll focus on the one thing that caused me the most issues.

The auto-dimming mirrors needs a toggle to be able to turn off and/or adjust. With tint it for some people (including me) it was incredibly difficult for me to use them; all I saw were circles of light which while technically enough made me extremely uncomfortable, so much so that I went to a lighter tint just so I could see.

In hindsight I should have just swapped the two front windows, because changing the back window resulted in the tint refraction on defroster (which while I understand is common in the thicker tints, I did not recall having this issue with the original tint, and with the tint being "clear" it is more noticeable. I'm debating the nuclear option of getting a new back glass still...)

Reactions: Lobstahz
Anyone dislike the two small circles when adjusting the speed of air vent?

Those are so small compare to the empty space around the screen function, makes it very hard to hit it when you are driving in not a smooth road.

I agree! These should be easier to control. The Auto setting always blows too much cold air. Turning the fan speed way down is perfect, but sometimes I need it higher. The tiny on-screen buttons are way too small.

Think I know what you are referring to but to adjust flow I almost always use, on the white moving air flow display itself, index finger to swipe up or down to change air flow direction and thumb and index to pinch or expand fingers to split the flow of each vent area. Seldom use the slider controls.

What you are describing does not change the fan speed.

But OP talks about two small circles. Don’t see small circles for fan speed on my controls. Where are yours? There’s a good size + and - for fan speed on my display one on each side and easy to distinguish. The only small circles I see are the white dots on the sliders. So I guess if not the ones I mentioned not sure what the two of you are referring to.

vent speed - 1.jpg 8D8B96F3-A772-4A54-9057-1DA93C79D29A.jpeg

Last edited:
But OP talks about two small circles. Don’t see small circles for fan speed on my controls. Where are yours? There’s a good size + and - for fan speed on my display one on each side and easy to distinguish. The only small circles I see are the white dots on the sliders. So I guess if not the ones I mentioned not sure what the two of you are referring to.

Apologize if I was saying it wrong. I was actually referring to the - and + sign/area for adjusting fan speed, which after thinking now doesn't really have circle area. This - and + sign could be bigger and not right next to two blue circles. Just my thought.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
8. Software updates via LTE (for those without reliable WiFi connections). My home wifi doesn't reach my parking area. And at work I have to park in a garage and am again out of wifi range. I have to contact Tesla to "push" the updates every few months. Lame.

9. Tesla is now charging owners to "push" firmware updates. I messaged Tesla last night since I'm still on 2019.12.1.2 5c87371. And per TeslaFi's unofficial firmware tracker, ~92.5% of all Tesla owners have more updated firmware than I (most of whom are multiple iterations ahead of me). Tesla replied to me this morning and told me a bunch of stuff I already know in regards to how the updates work. The representative finished by saying they could manually push the update for a $9.36 fee.

LOL WUT

I have lots of little wishes like a sunroof, cooled seats, heated steering wheel, better phone integration, different seats (cause excruciating back pain regardless of adjustment after about 2 hours of driving), but honestly I can look past all of those.

By far my biggest complaint is the windshield wipers!! They are not only cumbersome to use quickly, but the button is on the opposite side of all other "normal" cars which is totally illogical. The worst part however is to activate them (yes I know you can use the touch screen) you push a button in on the left stalk, but since most people's brains are used to using the right stalk, it's a mental exercise to not push the Park button on the right side when you mean to hit the wipers on the left side! That's not only frustrating and annoying but literally dangerous. When I let people drive the car, I'm always afraid they will accidentally hit park when we're zipping around. I love the design ethos overall, but the wipers are unnecessarily and dangerously complex/different.

• Disagree
Reactions: North75 and posity
By far my biggest complaint is the windshield wipers!! They are not only cumbersome to use quickly, but the button is on the opposite side of all other "normal" cars which is totally illogical.

I don't think it's all that unusual as my last 4 cars (all different brands) all had wiper controls on the left stalk. But, I tend to agree that the overall wiper controls are awkward and not as intuitive as I'd like.

9. Tesla is now charging owners to "push" firmware updates. I messaged Tesla last night since I'm still on 2019.12.1.2 5c87371. And per TeslaFi's unofficial firmware tracker, ~92.5% of all Tesla owners have more updated firmware than I (most of whom are multiple iterations ahead of me). Tesla replied to me this morning and told me a bunch of stuff I already know in regards to how the updates work. The representative finished by saying they could manually push the update for a $9.36 fee.

LOL WUT
That's funny that they charge. I tried scheduling a mobile service to get software update and they called to cancel saying they don't want people to do that. Why is it an option in the app if they don't want people to use said option? LOL

I don't think I've ever had another car where the wiper controls weren't on the right.

The right stalk on the Model 3 is the gear selector so it makes sense that they put the wipers on the left.

That is my point exactly. Almost all cars have the wipers on the right, so it's illogical to move them to the left. The gear shifter is on the right in the Model 3, so that complicates things. What makes it even more complicated, is the actuation of the wiper for a single wipe and using the washer is a depression of a button on the left, but the same action on the right side is what actuates the parking brake. See where the logic breaks down? It's a bad design, period, and designs like this can actually cause accidents because pushing the wrong button will cause the car to unexpectedly come to a stop. Bad design elsewhere in the UI matters a lot less because it's simply annoying, but this one is unsafe.

Reactions: alexGS
That is my point exactly. Almost all cars have the wipers on the right, so it's illogical to move them to the left. The gear shifter is on the right in the Model 3, so that complicates things. What makes it even more complicated, is the actuation of the wiper for a single wipe and using the washer is a depression of a button on the left, but the same action on the right side is what actuates the parking brake. See where the logic breaks down? It's a bad design, period, and designs like this can actually cause accidents because pushing the wrong button will cause the car to unexpectedly come to a stop. Bad design elsewhere in the UI matters a lot less because it's simply annoying, but this one is unsafe.
I've gotten confused on which stalk was the turn signal and accidentally switched gears on the freeway before. The car didn't come to a complete stop. It gradually slowed down. It was definitely annoying but I don't think it was unsafe.

LOL WUT
According to Stats, only 78% are on newer software than 12.1.2.

When I finally got updated to 16.2, according to Stats, I was in the last 10%. I was still on 2018 software.