Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are people's thoughts on the Mustang Mach e?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Glan gluaisne

Sep 11, 2019
UK
I've been idly contemplating changing cars (in part prompted by now being unable to see the speed display on the Model 3) and spotted that the Mustang Mach E will shortly be available here. Seen a few reviews (below) and it looks, on the face of it, to be a fair competitor to the Model Y. I really wanted a hatchback originally, and although the Mustang isn't a true hatchback, it does have a bigger boot opening than the Model 3.

Not sure about the styling, externally I prefer the look of the Tesla, but internally looks a lot better to my eye. I realise it's close to heresy in the eyes of some to discuss Tesla competitors, but the Mustang seems to me to be the closest to a true competitor the Model Y has got, at least until the Skoda Enyaq / VW ID.4 are available.

I'm not a fan of the front, i can't stop seeing this

s-l300.jpg

One of the reasons I like Tesla is the "mission statement" other companies are totally driven by bottom line.

I tried my first green car with a Bolt. It's still the best plug-in that was on the market. GM dropping that and electrifying a Hummer shows it's thinking. I heard the original Volts cost them money to sell which is perhaps why it was never marketed and then dropped. Add that to my experience with the dealer and the sum = won't own a 7th GM vehicle.

The Mach-E, I agree, front is ugly. All else may be great but does it fart? Is there a chance that an OTA will enable farting?

For me the Model 3/Y is much more stylish. The Mustang looks over-styled and quite ugly to my eye. I can see the practical advantages over a Model 3, but not a Model Y. If I really needed a hatch today in this size range it would have to be the Polestar until the Y is available.

Personally, I really don't like that front 'intake' look which I know is an attempt to uphold some semblance of the Mustang fascia, but an EV is an EV. No need for fussy, pointless details. I love the sublime minimalist beauty of the Tesla. No silly styling, no awkward grooves or fake vents or cluttered body molding...just an exquisite and timeless design, inside and out. I never thought I'd like the styling of a saloon but I love the Tesla.

Plus, GM killed the EV-1 and this will never not bother me. Elon is the X factor too and runs a successful Aerospace company, and that Tesla Supercharger Network cannot be denied. Even if I liked the Mach-E better I'd still prefer Tesla for this and many other reasons.

As it's a ground up EV, it does some things right, and doesn't suffer the penalties of many of it's competitors.

Unfortunately its an SUV, so has brick like styling, and weight penalties (I really dislike SUVs btw).

On the whole, not bad, but I think it'd be a different story if the Model Y was available in the UK.

Personally, if it were me, I'd be saving my pennies (a hell of a lot of them) and looking at a Porsche Taycan.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Thanks all, especially the links to other areas here that I'd not looked at before. The GM criticisms I can understand, but I'm not sure why criticism of GM should reflect on Ford, AFAIK they are still separate companies, and competitors, aren't they?

I could just about afford a Taycan, but whether I could justify spending that much money on a car that will get driven around 6,000 miles a year is debatable. The ID.4 looks good, but the problems with the ID.3, together with the interior finish, raises a few red flags. Last thing I want is a car that's less well finished than the Tesla.

Performance isn't a big issue, there are so few occasions when I really use the performance of the Model 3 LR I drive at the moment, that something a bit less quick won't be a concern. I'd put performance at around number four on my priority list, behind interior finish, reliability and ease of access to everyday controls.

I agree that colour is probably key to making the exterior look acceptable. The thing would look a lot better without that pseudo grill. Whereas the Model 3/Model Y look pretty good in any colour, one flaw with many of the potential competitors seem to suffer from not looking good in some colours. This is particularly true of the ID.3, where some colours look pretty dire, yet others look pretty good.

..... I realize it's close to heresy in the eyes of some to discuss Tesla competitors, ....

Not heresy for me. I own two EVs, a Chevy Bolt (great little car) and a MY (great somewhat larger car). I'm a Tesla customer, not a "fan." Wife and I purchased the MY because (and not in any real order):
  • It has decent travel range (@ 70 mph around 250~270 miles in the real world).
  • The Supercharging network, while possibly being challenged, is still the best charging network out there. I say that after wife and I did a 2,740 mile trip in our Bolt from Cape Cod to AZ this past October.
  • I like the buying process (don't like car dealerships in general).
We'd like an EV with a real world travel range (during "normal" weather/temperature conditions) of at least 400 miles. I'm confident such a beast will be coming soon. My +70 year old spouse says she'd like the Cybertruck for that reason (the 500 mile version). We'll wait and see how that vehicle looks after it comes out. Maybe.

So, yeah, the Mustang is a very attractive EV. So is the Nissan Aryia to my eye. I prefer the specs of the Aryia over that of the VW offering. Different strokes, etc.

Anyway, depending on your vehicle needs, the Mustang might just fit the bill. At the moment wife and I will still hang out in Tesla land.

Rich

I like the look (literally and more generally) of the Mach E. However efficiency looks pretty awful compared to the Y or the 3. The ID4 interior looks a decent level up from the ID3, although my wife’s ID3 really isn’t that bad - and the build quality on it is fantastic compared to my Model 3. However, pricing on the ID4 looks a bit steep for what it is - £60k for the 2WD first edition model. It’ll hit the UK in April.

One of the reasons I like Tesla is the "mission statement" other companies are totally driven by bottom line.

I tried my first green car with a Bolt. It's still the best plug-in that was on the market. GM dropping that and electrifying a Hummer shows it's thinking. I heard the original Volts cost them money to sell which is perhaps why it was never marketed and then dropped. Add that to my experience with the dealer and the sum = won't own a 7th GM vehicle.

The Mach-E, I agree, front is ugly. All else may be great but does it fart? Is there a chance that an OTA will enable farting?
If you think Tesla’s “mission statement” is still applicable now that they are a public company, I have a bridge to sell you.

The bottom-line is EVERYTHING to them.

Personally, I really don't like that front 'intake' look which I know is an attempt to uphold some semblance of the Mustang fascia, but an EV is an EV. No need for fussy, pointless details. I love the sublime minimalist beauty of the Tesla. No silly styling, no awkward grooves or fake vents or cluttered body molding...just an exquisite and timeless design, inside and out. I never thought I'd like the styling of a saloon but I love the Tesla.

Plus, GM killed the EV-1 and this will never not bother me. Elon is the X factor too and runs a successful Aerospace company, and that Tesla Supercharger Network cannot be denied. Even if I liked the Mach-E better I'd still prefer Tesla for this and many other reasons.
You understand GM and Ford are not the same company, right? And the landscape is very different now than it was in the mid 90’s.

• Informative
Reactions: Spacep0d