Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the issues with AP2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience has been that the latest version of AP2 clearly lacks the smoothness of AP1. AP2 will surprise you with an erratic action because it often seems to get confused by lane markings, cars and structures. I watched the video posted and disagree with the statement that AP2 centered itself better after lane changes. AP2 abruptly centers itself in a lane in a very mechanical way in contrast to AP1 that is much smoother like a human driver smoothly centering the car back in the lane. Lastly the AP2 cannot make gentle bends on the highway smoothly, AP2 turns a gentle curve into a series of very short straight lines constantly making slight corrections, in no way “silky smooth” like AP1.

I own 2 cars with AP2 and AP1 and did a 2 part comparison of them both (part 2 coming soon)

I drive the cars interchangeably every day so I have a very good sense of the strengths and weaknesses each has. That said to make your decision easier you can look at it like this:

A) Keep AP1 and you will have a very consistent AP experience to what you see now, with increasing levels of refinement over time making it that more confident but limited to what the AP1 hardware will allow, which is pretty much everything that it does now.

B) Get AP2 and you will get all of what AP1 has (eventually) and then exceed with enhanced capabilities that only AP2 hardware can do moving closer to FSD (eventually).
Your video was filmed in the center lanes. It is best to keep AP2 away from the right side of the road if you want to stay on the road, it gets easily confused.

My experience has been that the latest version of AP2 clearly lacks the smoothness of AP1. AP2 will surprise you with an erratic action because it often seems to get confused by lane markings, cars and structures. I watched the video posted and disagree with the statement that AP2 centered itself better after lane changes. AP2 abruptly centers itself in a lane in a very mechanical way in contrast to AP1 that is much smoother like a human driver smoothly centering the car back in the lane. Lastly the AP2 cannot make gentle bends on the highway smoothly, AP2 turns a gentle curve into a series of very short straight lines constantly making slight corrections, in no way “silky smooth” like AP1.

You may want to read this thread: Wow - AP2 HUGE improvement with .40 firmware!

There are always owners with no past experience with AP1 that are satisfied with the incremental changes with AP2 because they don’t expect too much because they don’t know how good the MobilEye system is. My fear is that sometimes software updates are known to take steps backward and they have an update and AP1 steps backwards. Parity might be easier then. I wasn’t an owner back when they say AP1 didn’t need any inputs from the driver at all but some owners have not upgraded software from the very early release and love it.

Reactions: BLKTSLA
There are always owners with no past experience with AP1 that are satisfied with the incremental changes with AP2 because they don’t expect too much because they don’t know how good the MobilEye system is. My fear is that sometimes software updates are known to take steps backward and they have an update and AP1 steps backwards. Parity might be easier then. I wasn’t an owner back when they say AP1 didn’t need any inputs from the driver at all but some owners have not upgraded software from the very early release and love it.

Read through that thread. Some of them are ex-AP1 owners, who have considerable experience driving with AP1. And there are other threads that were started in the last few days. I saw one from @bonnie that raved about AP2 after recent updates

Red through that thread. Some of them are ex-AP1 owners, who have considerable experience driving with AP1. And there are other threads that were started in the last few days. I saw one from @bonnie that raved about AP2 after recent updates
I read through them. My point is that after buying AP2 and then getting used to the system you will appreciate the impact of an update. It’s like buying a new pair of shoes that don’t feel great at first but after a few days they seem ok, then you step back into an old comfortable pair (AP1)and thing wow I didn’t realize how bad the new ones were.

I drive an AP1 SP90D. I recently did a 24-hour test drive of an AP2 X100D with EAP. I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

I frankly think the pockets of extreme negativity towards AP2 comes from the fact that people were lied to by Musk and they are pissed, and I don't blame them. If I plunked down $5k for EAP on a new Telsa and got the pile of garbage that was the original AP2, I'd never do business with Tesla again.
Your theory is a great one - the other thing at work IMHO is a group of professional, um, "writers" on TMC...

I drive an AP1 SP90D. I recently did a 24-hour test drive of an AP2 X100D with EAP. I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

I frankly think the pockets of extreme negativity towards AP2 comes from the fact that people were lied to by Musk and they are pissed, and I don't blame them. If I plunked down $5k for EAP on a new Telsa and got the pile of garbage that was the original AP2, I'd never do business with Tesla again.
I agree this theory makes most sense..

Reactions: Black/Black MS
I read through them. My point is that after buying AP2 and then getting used to the system you will appreciate the impact of an update. It’s like buying a new pair of shoes that don’t feel great at first but after a few days they seem ok, then you step back into an old comfortable pair (AP1)and thing wow I didn’t realize how bad the new ones were.

One more for you, read this: 2017.42 a88c8d5

He owns both AP1 & 2

Reactions: croman
How many miles have you driven on it so far?

I got my AP2 since March, about 7 months, and have enjoyed using it very much for the past almost 8,000 miles.

I don't deny bad experience and frustrations that Autopilot owners have gone through.

It's like lemon that is so sour and so bad and I don't deny that but I can adapt to it and make it into great tasty lemonade!

At current, the key is to be in control at all times so when it's about to misbehave, I can correct it before it could.

For instance, when it got lost in a big intersection without lane markers, I expect it to go straight, it on the other hand wants to swerve blindly.

Too bad, it cannot get its way of swerving out of control and hit an adjacent car because my hand(s) on the steering wheel would prevent it from doing that by keeping it going straight instead of swerving.

In future, with Full Self Driving feature, the responsibility will be shifted to the system, not driver. But not now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
What firmware are you on? Show us a screenshot. Touch the large T at the top of your screen and it will show up beneath the picture of your car that lists the miles you have on it. The AP2 situation is so fluid that IMHO it is helpful to clarify the firmware you're on prior to discussing how your car behaves.

40.1 here. One notable new issue I've seen since getting it is suddenly aborting a lane change halfway through and swinging back into the original lane really hard. I've seen this 3 times, all 3 without any other cars nearby, or any apparent reason for bailing on the lane change.

40.1 here. One notable new issue I've seen since getting it is suddenly aborting a lane change halfway through and swinging back into the original lane really hard. I've seen this 3 times, all 3 without any other cars nearby, or any apparent reason for bailing on the lane change.

On my AP1 car, at least, if you turn the blinker off shortly after it starts the lane change then it will abort and swerve back into the original lane. You need to keep the blinker on until it’s well into the new lane. I’m not sure if this is what you are seeing or not.

On my AP1 car, at least, if you turn the blinker off shortly after it starts the lane change then it will abort and swerve back into the original lane. You need to keep the blinker on until it’s well into the new lane. I’m not sure if this is what you are seeing or not.

No, I’m actually turning the blinker fully until it clicks into place(locking it on until I manually turn it off).