Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What car/s did you come from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 Volkswagen Touareg V6 TDI, now if only it would sell!

I assume your Touareg is included in the TDI settlement? Are you planning on selling back to VW & taking the compensation? This is what I'm planning for my 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sportswagen TDI, it arguably will result in me getting pretty much what I originally paid for my vehicle back + money after paying off my loan will be more than I needed for my Tesla Lease.

I may qualify as the biggest jump in value. I have a 1992 Buick Roadmaster I bought new that has been a great car, but I needed a newer car as a road car. I got majorly upsold into a Model S, but except for the seats and so-so cabin storage, it's a better car than the Buick.

People used to smaller cars were telling me I need to get used to the size of the Model S, but it has the same wheelbase and same width as the Buick.

Every car I've driven up to now has had a GM small block V-8:
1967 Chevy Caprice - handed down to my sister in 1974 when my parents bought a new car, then handed down to me when I started driving.
1974 Chevy Caprice - handed down from my father when he bought a 1983 Olds 98. I think the 1967 coming back prompted him to get the Olds. The 74 was the only problem car I've ever had.
1981 Chevy Impala - Bought a used company car that had been driven off road a fair bit when the 74's head gasget blew and the transmission was showing signs of needing serious work. I put 70K almost problem free miles on it.
1992 Buick Roadmaster - Bought new, it's been super reliable but it is elderly at this point

@wdolson I agree I'm coming from a vehicle that's effectively the same size as the Model S, definitely handles similarly... but know it was a bit of a difference going to my current vehicle from a smaller sedan. Actually one of the selling points for the Model S for me is the storage space in the back with the seats down. Effectively the same as the VW Sportwagon I currently have, so no loss of carrying ability.

I may qualify as the biggest jump in value. I have a 1992 Buick Roadmaster I bought new that has been a great car, but I needed a newer car as a road car. I got majorly upsold into a Model S, but except for the seats and so-so cabin storage, it's a better car than the Buick.

What don't you like about the seats? Less comfort? That's my reservation. I haven't ordered yet.

1951 plymouth (the potato, very cool)
1967 rambler (mom's car, hit and run totaled)
1962 morris minor convertible (dad's car, also very cool)
1987 civic si (bought new, exploded)
1979 toyota corolla (fell apart)
1992 toyota pickup (bought new, exploded)
2001 honda accord (mom's car, still great, gave to son)

Okay, I have to ask. How did you have not one but two cars explode???

Reactions: Austin Powers
I assume your Touareg is included in the TDI settlement? Are you planning on selling back to VW & taking the compensation? This is what I'm planning for my 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sportswagen TDI, it arguably will result in me getting pretty much what I originally paid for my vehicle back + money after paying off my loan will be more than I needed for my Tesla Lease.

I'm in Australia, so I'm not sure what they are doing here in relation to this, I think the settlement they reached is only VW USA? Maybe I should hold tight for now?

Okay, I have to ask. How did you have not one but two cars explode???

Well, there was some poetic license, but... the civic, took it for an oil change and the oil filter wasn't screwed back on properly, all the oil ran out, overheated, warped block. On the toyota truck, freeze plug fell out, all the water ran out, overheated, warped block. No more infernal combustion for me... got a folding bike to keep in the back of the model S, all good, just gotta make sure I don't spring a leak myself, I'm pretty sure if I'm vigilant I can handle it...

• Funny
Reactions: Austin Powers
2014 dodge durango r/t - goes to the wife and will be the new mom-mobile (I'm not ready to give it up and will probably run it into the ground). The stock exhaust notes on that beast are incredible!

2014 jeep Cherokee that the wife was driving - what a P.O.S. that turned out to be. Giving it back to jeep and paying the ETF to break the lease.

2014 dodge durango r/t - goes to the wife and will be the new mom-mobile (I'm not ready to give it up and will probably run it into the ground). The stock exhaust notes on that beast are incredible!

2014 jeep Cherokee that the wife was driving - what a P.O.S. that turned out to be. Giving it back to jeep and paying the ETF to break the lease.

The Jeep sounds relatively new. What's wrong with it?

2014 Nissan GT-R. Awesome handling car and lots of power so obviously I am getting a P90DL. I hope I don't miss my GT-R, even though it has 4 seats just not as 'usable' a car compared to the S. I guess if I still feel the need for a fuel burning ICE car I still have my 2 Mazda RX-7's (85 & 93)

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Advance. And before that a 2007 Acura TL Type-S. Have to say the Model S P85D Ludicrous brings back my favorite things of the Type-S with the tight sport sedan exterior styling, carbon fiber and black leather interior, touch screen, large black wheels, and lunge-forward engine. I don't think Acura has ever come close to capturing the spirit of the Type-S since then. The P85D also reminds me of the "nimble beast" feel of the TL SH-AWD. I'm sure you can guess exactly what color interior and exterior my TL's were. ;)

Any other former TL owners here?

Last edited:
@wdolson I agree I'm coming from a vehicle that's effectively the same size as the Model S, definitely handles similarly... but know it was a bit of a difference going to my current vehicle from a smaller sedan. Actually one of the selling points for the Model S for me is the storage space in the back with the seats down. Effectively the same as the VW Sportwagon I currently have, so no loss of carrying ability.

The storage space is great. My SO's Impreza wagon has been the hauler because the space was broken up in my Buick. But in the first month we've run into two situations where the Tesla could haul something that was too big for the Impreza. The hauling capability is great and was a selling point for me.

What don't you like about the seats? Less comfort? That's my reservation. I haven't ordered yet.

I have the cloth seats, they are hard and hit both of us in the wrong spots. The support for my thighs is also marginal. We went back to the Tesla store and sat in the next gen seats. They were much more comfortable. I need to contact the service center and find out how much they are going to nick me to replace the front seats. I know some people have done it.

The Jeep sounds relatively new. What's wrong with it?

Lol. It only has 5200 miles on it. We live in dc and my wife never drives. I guess I shouldn't say it's a sh*tty car, rather it's not as nice and/or doesn't drive as well as other cars (including jeeps) I've had in the past. I guess I knew that going into it, thinking it was not a big deal since it would just be sitting in my driveway collecting dust. In any event, we don't need it so I'm turning the lease in early.

I'm in Australia, so I'm not sure what they are doing here in relation to this, I think the settlement they reached is only VW USA? Maybe I should hold tight for now?

Ah yeah, the VW settlement is currently only in the USA. Might be worth seeing if the VW emissions violated the AUS emission laws, and if there is a pending lawsuit there. If there is no action being taken in Australia then unless you create your own suit it's unlikely that you'll be offered anymore...