Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do with your house keys (for those that use their phone as a car key)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a moment yesterday, where we got home and realised neither of us had a house key on us. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s because we normally have a house key on our car keys, but now we‘ve got a Tesla and use the app to lock/unlock, it’s all a new routine.

Im wondering what you do? Do you have a phone case with a key(s) in it, or another solution.

Please share!

Fairly new to Tesla but our cars for the last 20 years have been a hybrid Prius and a hybrid Camry, both of which are a somewhat large key fob that really doesn't fit on a keyring, so for 20 years we fostered a habit of checking whether we had BOTH car fobs (in case either me or my wife needed to switch cars with the other) and checked that we had our house keys, which we both have on our own separate keychains. We are just about to install an electric keypad on our new front door, one that is not a wifi or internet based home control network but just a stand alone battery powered lock with a keypad. As of right now, I am more likely to forget my phone so I can't easily start my Model Y than I am to forget my house keys or the Camry key fob just because of habit. I do carry the Tesla card in my wallet as my backup for forgetting my phone or letting my phone battery die.

The Prius died two weeks after we got our Tesla Model Y last February. with a dead hybrid battery cell or cells, and because it had also been in an accident 2 years ago that left body damage we decided it wasn't worth spending $2000 to $3000 on getting the defective cell(s) replaced with refurbished ones.
Curious, what was the end of life Prius worth on trade in?

Upvote 0
so you have to have locked them on the way out.

Last person to leave, in my case, may well not be Wife or I ... so if we forget our keys we wouldn't be able to get in (apart from the emergency key-in-jar-in-hedge)

I once forgot the key to my work accommodation. After a late night 3 hour drive ...

I left my keys (big bunch, house, office, safe, the lot) in the central console of my Tesla, at the service centre when they gave me a loaner, and when I got home ... they then sent someone to drive to my house (2 hours each way) to get me the keys

That was MANY years ago of course ... those days are gone.

I've given a lift to a colleague (for a client visit), forgotten to give him the keys for his return journey, and then got on an aeroplane!

Reactions: M1tch
Upvote 0
We had a moment yesterday, where we got home and realised neither of us had a house key on us. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s because we normally have a house key on our car keys, but now we‘ve got a Tesla and use the app to lock/unlock, it’s all a new routine.

Im wondering what you do? Do you have a phone case with a key(s) in it, or another solution.

Please share!
I stopped carrying keys. The door between the house and the garage automatically unlocks about the time my front wheels enter the garage.

IMG_0995.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was thinking that but I think mine has multipoint if you lift the handle, but thats independent of the lock. The lock will lock the multipoint in place if engaged but you can lock/unlock - and when unlocked turn the handle to disengage the multipoint and open the door (from inside or out)

Upvote 0
A lot of these smart locks typically don't work with UK doors. We tend to have multipoint locks where you have to lift the handle to engage additional bolts at the top and bottom before the main bolt will turn. Conexis L2 is the main one I've seen trying to solve this.
This is “easily” solved by fitting an automatic multi-point lock. The locks are spring loaded and are “cocked” when the handle is pushed down. A magnet in the strike plate releases the locks when the door is closed. I fitted one as a straight swap on my multipoint lock a couple of years back and it’s been great. This is what I have:
My door had a Winkhaus lock so it was an easy swap. Most lock companies seem to do automatic versions, these days.

Upvote 0

Please share!
Two ways:
Low tech is the spare key in wall secure box.
Higher tech are the automated garage doors for which they are also on the home automation and mobile app.

Upvote 0
We never use keys. Enter and exit through garages, which have powered openers with battery backup. Haven’t touched a physical key in years.
I use the automatic garage door these days, however I got home after walking the dog, one day, to find I couldn’t get in due to a power cut!
Luckily, I keep a spare front door key hidden in my car...

Upvote 0
I don't carry keys with me - the ring with lots of keys is in a drawer at home, The car, I keep the card in my phone case, the phone is always used for the car and just twice the car didn't allow me to start it - so had to use the card - and afterwards worked perfectly again from the phone. Like many others I have smartlocks, 3 in fact, front and back door plus my workshop shed, smartlocks I was told couldn't be fitted to anything other than a UPVC door - however, My back door is wood (front and back doors have multipoint locking too) and the shed workshop door is wood but no multipoint - just needed a bit of thought on how to do it. (Simpled and Prolok both work with lift to lock multipoint systems - The simpled lock inside it is the same almost as the Prolok and less than half the price, and both are referred to as slimline multi)
The locks can be opened via the internet, my phone nfc, and phone app, fingerprint, a code that you set up to 8 digits, a tag and a stick on tag to my phone case, a battery powered fob and an emergency key - which i never carry
My phone also controls the garage door - which was a bit of DIY playing with a Lightwaver relay and the app, Battery back up on the garage door plus battery backup on the gateways and wifi hub so all works even if power cut (door locks are battery powered)

Upvote 0
I keep my house keys on the same set as my Tesla keyfob, old school skillz.

I don't carry a wallet anymore though, just use Apple Pay and have a backup card on the back of my phone, so the Tesla key fob is my backup if the phone breaks.
I do the same, except I have a MagSafe wallet with 3 cards (1 rail smart card, 1 debit card, drivers license).

I had an issue early where I was out and the car decided that it didn’t want to recognise the phone key, so now always have the fob on me too as backup.

Upvote 0