Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you miss about your previous car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I've got a deposit down on a Tesla Model 3 LR. I've test driven a showroom model on a couple of occasions - and I love it!

There is a small bit of doubt in my mind though, from each time that I drove my own car back home (a Mini Cooper S JCW).
I don't know if it's just a bit of sadness that the Mini may eventually be going? The Mini has a very loud personality, unique interior and it has a lot of character, in comparison, the Tesla is quite plain and doesn't feel as customisable due to the lack of options available.

I guess I'll also miss the noise of having a performance exhaust.

Does anyone else miss their old car, or even worse, regret moving to a Tesla?

Ash

I absolutely don’t regret moving to the Tesla but I do miss:
The all round ‘birds eye camera view’ great when manoeuvring in tight spaces.
The Mobileye speed limit indications that correctly told me the speed limit virtually all the time
The cruise control and speed limiting system that engaged at current speed
The rain sensor that worked reliably with variable sensitivity
The headlights that steered round corners

All this in a car that cost less than half of the Tesla!

I used to use a TomTom in preference to the old car’s nav system. I think I still would if it was not for the Tesla’s big screen. I’d like it to offer alternative routes and waypoints. Fingers crossed they are coming soon.

Reactions: Haddock
Hi,

I've got a deposit down on a Tesla Model 3 LR. I've test driven a showroom model on a couple of occasions - and I love it!

There is a small bit of doubt in my mind though, from each time that I drove my own car back home (a Mini Cooper S JCW).
I don't know if it's just a bit of sadness that the Mini may eventually be going? The Mini has a very loud personality, unique interior and it has a lot of character, in comparison, the Tesla is quite plain and doesn't feel as customisable due to the lack of options available.

I guess I'll also miss the noise of having a performance exhaust.

Does anyone else miss their old car, or even worse, regret moving to a Tesla?

Ash
Not at all. I have owned 24 cars (I am quite old). The Tesla is faster than any of my 6 sports cars (even the one I built myself); it's safer than my 3 Volvos, and it's cheaper to run than my lovely top of the range Skoda Octavia. It is fun to drive, and I love it. Of course it is not perfect, but no car is, and nor am I. I can see myself keeping it forever. I no longer need to worry about expensive engine problems as it ages, nor even, at the moment, about minimising depreciation cost. I even think that it has made me a better driver. I don't miss anything.

I had a Megane GT before the Tesla, and tbh, I don’t miss it at all.

I don’t miss the engine noise either! The way the Tesla accelerates is addictive, and never gets old.

For a heavy car it still handles well through the corners. I don’t think you will regret it!

I absolutely don’t regret moving to the Tesla but I do miss:
The all round ‘birds eye camera view’ great when manoeuvring in tight spaces.
The Mobileye speed limit indications that correctly told me the speed limit virtually all the time
The cruise control and speed limiting system that engaged at current speed
The rain sensor that worked reliably with variable sensitivity
The headlights that steered round corners

All this in a car that cost less than half of the Tesla!

I used to use a TomTom in preference to the old car’s nav system. I think I still would if it was not for the Tesla’s big screen. I’d like it to offer alternative routes and waypoints. Fingers crossed they are coming soon.

Regarding the Satnav, I'm hoping that Tesla has/will eventually have Waze integration. Having a heads up of hazards / police / other useful information is great. Maybe I'll mute Tesla's nav audi and play Waze audio through the car's speakers via Bluetooth.

I did notice on my test drives, that Autopilot failed on several occasions to recognise speed limit changes. It isn't much effort to manually adjust, but it was slightly disappointing that it couldn't pick up well placed speed signs in good lighting.

Mini cooper? nasty wee thing a real height person can't get into comfortably which I can with the S. GT86 had Toyota legroom and apart from less acceleration wasn't a bad runabout at all. I still have my 200sx but admit that after 20years it did need an engine rebuild and the suspension is a bit rough nowadays but still great fun to drive with no range issues.

Of course nothing beats the convenience of the good old starting handle on my very first car for when the battery was flat, the in-car excercise possible by winding a handle to get the window down, banging on the B pillar to get the turn flag out, a library of fan fold maps in a proper door pocket, the joy of coat and gloves and hat and wondering if the window would ever clear because heaters were an extra and drilling a hole in the floor pan to let the water out that came in through the bulkhead.....

Spare tyres were handy too!

Not at all. I have owned 24 cars (I am quite old). The Tesla is faster than any of my 6 sports cars (even the one I built myself); it's safer than my 3 Volvos, and it's cheaper to run than my lovely top of the range Skoda Octavia. It is fun to drive, and I love it. Of course it is not perfect, but no car is, and nor am I. I can see myself keeping it forever. I no longer need to worry about expensive engine problems as it ages, nor even, at the moment, about minimising depreciation cost. I even think that it has made me a better driver. I don't miss anything.

Interesting to read. That is a lot of cars!

I'm 28, this will be my third car. My first was a Corsa 1.2 - was more than happy with it for my first car, but it was a pain on long journeys due to a lack of acceleration.

The Mini is my second, I lived close to the poverty line to pay for it after jumping in to a PCP months after securing employment in the Navy and on a recruits salary! But it is such a good car. I went top spec on the order, had it tuned by Mini, installed aftermarket/more recent OEM mods. Letting go of this one will be difficult.

I guess I've always had an interest in Tesla, given my interest in tech and cars from a young age. I feel like I'm at a point in life where I'm trying to grow up a little, but not too much. The positives for me of owning a Tesla will include: performance, efficiency and helping to promote change / greener choices.

Reactions: Jez_GB
I had a Leaf before my Model 3, the only things I miss are:-

The camera under the passenger side mirror that let you see exactly how close the front wheel was to the kerb when parking.
When listening to podcasts from my phone it showed the amount of time elapsed/remaining.

To add to the things I will miss, probably more so than the exhaust- no HUD!

It seems weird having to look to my left to see the speed I'm driving at, after having sat nav / current speed / speed limit on a HUD for the past 6 years.

Bond Bug, Austin 1300, Capri 3000GTV8, Nissan1200, Ford Cortina 2.0GL, Cavalier 2.0L, Opel Manta, Carlton, Renault 25, Citroen XM, Ford Scorpio, XJS 4.0, Jaguar XJ6 Executive, Mercedes SLK, Porsche Boxster, Porsche 911, Jaguar XF, Jaguar XKR, Jaguar XJ, Land Rover Discovery.
I miss nothing from any of them....except a heated steering wheel:).

(and I've still got the Disco...despite my fervent belief in electric cars, it'll be a cold day in hell before I let that go)

Nothing!

Had a BMW M140i before the M3P, the BMW was a lot of fun and made a nice noise on startup, but I love the fact the M3P is silent. It's so, so much faster than the BMW was, it's no worse put together (you only really hear about the bad ones!), the tech in the car is 100x better than the BMW and keeps getting updated with improvements and new features.

Certainly don't miss going to the petrol station either :D

Had mine since August 2019, since then I've saved approximately £1670, would have been more but I've not been at the office (with free charging) since end of Feb and I'm now having to charge at home.

Mad an F80 M3 before but no regrets about moving to Tesla, but would be nice to have back:

Birds Eye View, Head Up Display, Leather Seats, Better rear view when driving; Adaptive LED headlights, TV, video playback.

But, so many plus points of the Tesla outweigh these, especially running cost saving.

Reactions: Cyclone1