Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you miss about your previous car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thing I miss most of all is a working cruise control. Having the car accelerate to what it thinks is the speed limit, every time cruise is engaged, is so irritating that I just don't bother to use it any more. It's not until something you use all the time just isn't really there that you realise how useful it is.

I miss not having automatic windscreen wipers, too, as, much like cruise, they don't work at all well, so have to be left set to manual.

Reactions: Bernard_S
Active cruise and rain sensor that works all the time, not just when cameras decide to play nice

proper blind spot monitoring in mirrors

and the rear air suspension.

Genuine first world problems.

I would be delighted if I never see another diesel pump or filling station forecourt/shop again, and really don’t miss engines which I find really confusing having been obsessed with them for 40 years. Although the wife’s turbo petrol Audi does still sound good.

I had a very low spec 2016 Astra, but it had a proper speed limiter and a cruise control that came on at the speed I was going - I so miss those...!

However I wouldn't go back for anything, my Tesla makes me smile everytime I drive it, and I find excuses to do so as much as I can...

Hmm.. good question.
My previous car was an AMG A35 premium plus.. so.. What I miss would be, heads up display, different colour ambient lights, what 3 words navigation and a hatch back.

What I don’t miss is 50 quid to fill up every 310 miles, wheels that got marked just by looking at them, auto box that needed to be changed into sport mode so as not to hesitate, expensive servicing and updates that needs 4 hours of dealer time to change the software... so.. apart from the above 4 things.. nothing

I actually miss my 15yr old Impreza WR1 more. It only lost 45% in value in 15 years, and the thing just seemed alive and visceral compared to the A35 and model 3. Saying that as a cruiser it was hard work, manual gear box, noisy and was never happy unless driven at 9 tenths. But, as they say times change

Reactions: gangzoom
Active cruise and rain sensor that works all the time, not just when cameras decide to play nice

proper blind spot monitoring in mirrors

and the rear air suspension.

Genuine first world problems.

I would be delighted if I never see another diesel pump or filling station forecourt/shop again, and really don’t miss engines which I find really confusing having been obsessed with them for 40 years. Although the wife’s turbo petrol Audi does still sound good.

Could you please explain the cruise control a little more to me? I didn't use too much of it on the test drives, but from what I did use of it, it seemed pretty good at reacting to the car in front. A world ahead of my Mini's adaptive cruise control, which always seemed to over accelerate/brake and then leave too big of a gap between the car in front, which would allow even the most cautious of drivers space to pull in and make the car brake even more.

This is my first brand new car so glad I got it and have no regrets. Though I miss being able to work on my car myself and getting to know it. I saved a bomb learning to change oil, sparks, filters, bulbs, tyres, brakes etc and enjoyed it. But to be honest I’m happy not doing most of that if it doesn’t cost me much or isn’t required anymore.

Also, just basic active cruise control. I realise now that I took it for granted.

Previous was an A3.

Could you please explain the cruise control a little more to me? I didn't use too much of it on the test drives, but from what I did use of it, it seemed pretty good at reacting to the car in front. A world ahead of my Mini's adaptive cruise control, which always seemed to over accelerate/brake and then leave too big of a gap between the car in front, which would allow even the most cautious of drivers space to pull in and make the car brake even more.

Cruise always engages at the speed limit for that stretch of road, so if you're driving at 50mph in a 70mph stretch of motorway, that has a 50mph temporary limit, the car accelerates to 70mph, breaking the limit. It can be adjusted down, but it is a PITA having to adjust it all the time. I drive along a stretch of A road that's NSL, but that's only safe to drive at around 50mph, and I now don't bother to use cruise, because of the need to constantly stop it accelerating the car, whereas in previous cars I used to use cruise all the time. The traffic sensing works fine, at least as well as the last two cars I've owned, so no issues there I'm aware of.

Yep that bit @Glan gluaisne @Ash92 and also the smoothness of TACC is not up to par with previous BMW system, it is too on/off/on/off and doesn’t seem to anticipate/have tolerance built in. Wants to vary throttle setting too much all the time, just needs to chill out not be so fiddly with the throttle.

In queuing traffic however the Tesla system is stonkingly good, best I’ve had in any car at speeds below 20mph.

• Informative
Reactions: Fadiawesome
I had a 2012 BMW X1 1.8 S-Drive.

I miss nothing at all, especially not the
  • 34 mpg (was meant to be 50, never remotely close)
  • Smaller luggage space
  • non-smart cruise control
  • dumb radio with a collection of wires to connect a phone
  • Cloth seats
  • Huge bonnet
  • just mirrors, no cameras
  • Manual gears, mechanical handbrake

I miss the really good rear vision of my 2009 Volvo V70.
I'm finding it a bit tricky reversing with a camera after turning round and reversing by direct sight as in the Volvo.
And as others have mentioned, a cruise control that turns on at your current speed with a bonus that when manually overridden for a while can return to the previous setting with a button push.
I had my own OBD2 HUD fitted to the Volvo and dimmed all the interior and dash lights when driving on an unlit motorway at night.