Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What else does Tesla need to bundle to increase Model S sales?

Which should be included next?

• Full self driving

• Longer bumper to bumper warranty (10 years, 100,000 miles)

• Premium connectivity for life (non-transferable)

• Other obvious feature

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

computerchuck

Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2017
Utah
I’m inspired by another thread discussing the now bundled “free unlimited supercharging” feature on all model S and X vehicles. Since we’re not seeing a major price reduction, newer battery technology with faster charging speeds, or longer range. I’m wondering what else can tesla do to increase sales?

Pick your favorite from the list, but feel free to add your own in the comments below. Maybe you feel they should consider more than one. Have fun guys, love you all.

Even though I vastly prefer the S over the 3, the Model S remains a terrible value, especially Long Range vs. Model 3 Long Range.

Yeah S Long Range is 370, but 3 Long Range is 310, which is still VERY good. And both accelerate very quickly, with S being a bit faster but not a lot of people will care. And S is bigger as well.

But for literally everything else, 3 is either the same or slightly better than S. And it's only $48k versus $80k which is a MASSIVE difference.

Maybe differences between the C class, E class, and S class will be discussed here and it certainly makes sense. But the difference there is that the S class has a lot of name value and prestige, whereas the Model S although a very prestigious car gets its cachet from the Tesla name, not the Model S. (I've heard a lot of "OMG you drive a Tesla!!!" and wayyyy fewer "OMG you drive a Model S!") So the Model 3 also being a Tesla has similar amounts of prestige, rendering the price difference absurdly high.

I'd prefer lower cost over bundling stuff that I won't use. I've supercharged 3 times in 48k miles. I'm paying for the person in CA with high electric costs that has lots of time on their hands.

I already have an S (and a 3) or the increased range would be enough for me to purchase now.

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
Honestly, these voting options don't really make much sense considering the ~$30k premium the Model S carries over the Model 3. Full Self Driving is only a $6k option, and let's face it- it's currently worthless and given Tesla's delivery history there's no rational expectation for that to change any time soon. Premium connectivity shouldn't cost any more than $50/month, so over a 5 year average car lifetime that's at most worth $3k. Additional warranty is the most compelling perk for me, because I actually do intend to keep my car a long time, but most people aren't keeping cars that long. And for the battery warranty to be meaningful, it would have to cover degradation, which it currently doesn't seem to do.

But, to answer your question, the S needs to be superior in almost every way to the 3, which it currently isn't, and at the very least should not be drastically inferior in any way, for example, in supercharging speed, which it currently is.

A major difference today between S/X and 3/Y is the increased interior space and cargo capacity.

The S is a hatchback - which provides even more cargo capacity compared to the 3.

The X has FWD - the Y will (likely) have standard doors.

S/X have longer range.

The major advantage 3 has over S/X today is V3 supercharging - which should be coming for S/X in the next 12 months.

Musk's recent comments about the S/X refresh should be put into context. Right now, even if Tesla released refreshed S/X models, it probably wouldn't have much (if any) impact on S/X sales.

Tesla was always going to see a reduction in S/X sales when the wait time for Model 3 deliveries was reduced, since many of the S/X owners would likely have purchased a lower priced Model 3 instead of spending $$$ for what was likely their most expensive vehicle purchase ever.

And on top of that, the entire auto industry is going through a downturn right now, with all manufacturers seeing reduced sales - compared to them, Tesla is doing very well, with overall sales increasing - and while S/X sales are down, they are still doing very well compared to ICEs in their price range.

What Tesla should do is provide more differentiation between the higher priced S/X and lower priced 3/Y.

Making FUSC as a standard S/X feature is a good first step. Additional standard features that should be added:
  • Include free maintenance for the first 4 years/50K miles
  • Extend the warranty to 8 years/100K miles
  • Include FSD in all S/X vehicles
  • Provide loaners when service takes more than a day (3/Y owners should only get an Uber voucher)
  • Create a separate S/X owner support line (so that S/X owners are not competing for help with the higher volume 3/Y owners)
  • Make standard any current or future premium internet/app features
Tesla could quickly add these standard features to S/X.

With the significant price reductions of S/X over the past year, they could increase the price of S/X by $3-5K to go along with the bundling of these standard features.

S/X are important vehicles for Tesla. While they will never sell at the high volume Tesla will see for 3/Y/pickup - those vehicles compete directly with Tesla's luxury vehicle competitors - Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, …

Would like the following for S:

New colors
Pano Roof
Screens that don't yellow
Eyebrows on thousand dollar headlamps that don't need replacing annually
Higher quality surfaces on interior if price point moves back north

Wait. This just in. Got my trade in quote back from Tesla. $50,300. S is going to be in the family for a well long time.

I think that the Model S is starting to get a little old. It's also in the situation where it was being purchased because a cheaper alternative, the Model 3 wasn't available. For me basically, aside from a complete refresh, I just expect sales to level off.

It's time for focus on the Model & and Pickup, both for variety and for advancement in technology. Once the cost of manufacturing has been decreased and the manufacturing pressures have been decreased, then it's time for a big model change.

In the model change, that's when Tesla really needs to get back to creating custom cars (hence the need for manufacturing pressures to ease) where they can get back to more options, like materials, colors, body paint colors. The things that bring the Model S (and X) back into the luxury segment.

But for now, folks just got to realize that Tesla's goal isn't luxury cars, it's mass market. The luxury cars, as Elon has always said, are just a stepping step toward the mass market. If they can get a kick-butt pickup introduced, then there's the possibility that today's Model 3 production would be considered extremely small. And when the numbers get this high, that allows manufacturing costs to plummet.

And then everyone would wonder why we ever drove ICE.

Thew model S has been replaced by the M3. There is not enough difference for the substantial difference in price. The M3 has faster charging and more efficient motors for the range. With the new Y model coming there is not enough difference to justify the higher premium for the flagship car.

The MX needs to have faster charging like the M3. The range also needs to be increased. Put normal second row seating doors and remove the Falcon doors which would also save cost in the MX.

The biggest and easiest option would be an upgrade to the programming to have both range and energy displayed simultaneously.

Another programming feature on the navigation would to allow a stopping point to be inserted in the programming of a destination.

I believe Tesla needs to continue to be the leader in range that will help future sales and keep Tesla at the top in sales.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: erik_k and plumazul