Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens to the $2500 deposit if I cancel an order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a S90D on order, don't think it has entered production just yet. I ordered at the end of the year to get free supercharging. My ideal design would have been solid ultrawhite premium seats with the PUP, figured ash wood triim, etc...but at the time, it was impossible to get solid seats in any color/material with the PUP...only perforated. Then Tesla extended the free SC deadline, and I said ok. Then Tesla got rid of the perforated seats last week, but they said I could not change to the solid seats because my car was entering production any day now and all the parts had been procured already. And now for only $3000 more, the 100D has been released into the wild. And if I choose to upgrade, they don't allow my ultrawhite/figured ash combo.

So many changes, and I'm starting to feel like my S90D is already obsolete before I have even received it. So my question is, do I lose the $2500 if I cancel now or will I be able to roll it over to another purchase down the line?

Per the terms of your contract, it'd be forfeit when you cancel at any time after confirming.

However, Tesla has sometimes been generous and allowed them to be transferred to a new order if the car hasn't been produced yet (maybe sometimes after it has been?)

Reactions: sorka
Doesn't matter what the "contract" says. Tesla can't keep someone's deposit on a car that hasn't even started production yet. The contract calls for arbitration. Do you think an arbiter will let Tesla keep they money for a few clicks to delete an order that is purely on paper and months away from production? Is it worth Tesla's time to go to arbitration over a measly $2500? Is it worth the bad publicity? This is akin to a contract where you supposedly indemnify an establishment if you sustain injury, since you are participating "at your own risk."

Nothing is ever set in stone. It's all a matter of how aggressively you wish to pursue it. That being said, you attract more flies with honey than vinegar....or whatever the saying is. If you are nice, there is a higher chance Tesla will let you roll the money into your new order. This has nothing to do with Tesla's "generosity" but everything to do with common sense in business.

As someone who ordered at the end of 2016 because of the allure of lifetime unlimited Supercharging, a lot has happened in the last month or so despite no one at Tesla being able to tell me where my car is in production. I first inquired about getting solid non-perforated seats with the PUP and was told that this simply was not possible. I was pushed to order by Dec 31st only to see the deadline extended to Jan 15th. Then Tesla did away with perforated seats, but my car was apparently too close to starting production to make the change I originally wanted to solid leather seats, although they can't tell me when production will start or if it has. Then the 100D is announced at only $3k more with no way for me to upgrade except to forfeit my $2500 deposit and lose unlimited Supercharging. It's just too many changes and denials. I'm ready to cancel my order altogether, if they are indeed being hardboard about forfeiting the $2500 anyway even if I want to roll it over to a 100D order.

I think I'm going to just wait until whenever they call me to let me know the 90D is ready for delivery. Then I will try one more time to get the deposit transferred to a 100D order.