Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the dumbest thing your Tesla does?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Consistently forgets that it was playing music off my USB stick and the next time I get in my car, nothing is selected as a source and I have to tell it: "Switch to USB". At least it remembers where it left off...

edit: Forgive me if this has been corrected in a later software release. I'm still on 2022.12.3.2 and like what I've got. Newer releases have taken things away, changed or added new features I'm not interested in or have had (possibly) reported bugs.

Last edited:

Consistently forgets that it was playing music off my USB stick and the next time I get in my car, nothing is selected as a source and I have to tell it: "Switch to USB". At least it remembers where it left off...

edit: Forgive me if this has been corrected in a later software release. I'm still on 2022.12.3.2 and like what I've got. Newer releases have taken things away, changed or added new features I'm not interested in or have had (possibly) reported bugs.

That issue still happens. And it happened on my first Tesla in 2014. Amazingly, it seems unfixable. Mine will often sometimes the source to FM radio when I get into the car the next time after playing from USB too.

This article says most cars have a variation of +- 2.5 MPH.

That site contains no reference to where they got that "data". I can put anything on a website. Doesn't make it a fact. It also doesn't mean that you couldn't have a car in a certain situation that has a completely accurate speedometer. It also appears "legally" they don't have any actual rules contrary to what some posters in this thread have asserted.

It still doesn't change my feeling on any of this or my experience with speedometers in many different vehicles. I have nearly brand new tires on my Model 3 in the factory size. The speedo error with only me in the vehicle and the tires properly inflated is higher than it should be IMO.

One of the dumbest things that my MSLR+ does is that it remembers the seat heater settings from the last time I drove the car. I wish they would be off every time I start a new drive so I don't have to remember to turn them off. It's a waste of energy.
Not very dumb, especially for us cold weather folk. Also, other vehicles do this.

Plus, if it did do this then someone else would complain that it doesnt remember the last setting ;)

My BMW and Land Rovers always reset seat heaters to off on the next drive. I can't remember any car, other than Tesla, that leaves seat heaters on.
IIRC, my wife's former ride, a 2002 Honda Odyssey, had rocker switches for the seat heater. One position was HIGH, the opposite was LOW (center was off). So if you left the rocker switch in one of the ON positions, it would still be ON when you started up the night time. Most any vehicle with a mechanical switch, as opposed to an electronic or touch screen button, would operate the same. An exception would be if the switch were spring-loaded and automatically reset to OFF when power to the switch was lost.

• Helpful
Reactions: SalisburySam
IIRC, my wife's former ride, a 2002 Honda Odyssey, had rocker switches for the seat heater. One position was HIGH, the opposite was LOW (center was off). So if you left the rocker switch in one of the ON positions, it would still be ON when you started up the night time. Most any vehicle with a mechanical switch, as opposed to an electronic or touch screen button, would operate the same. An exception would be if the switch were spring-loaded and automatically reset to OFF when power to the switch was lost.
Yes, and my 2012 Nissan LEAF SL worked the same. Also for the heated steering wheel with its manual switch on the dash by the drivers left knee. Aaah, those were the days. Worked every time, worked flawlessly, worked intuitively, worked as I wished. Just worked.

The car can’t tell that there’s rain on the windshield and it’s supposed to drive itself? Give me a brake.
@RipVanFinkle Here ya' go:

disc-brake-caliper-assembly.jpg

I don't know how I missed Rip's post from awhile back but here's my response ;) .

Last edited:
Hot off the press. It thinking there is a semi to our left (the wall is there) and in front of us!!! LOL
Ah, yes. Our Model 3 sometimes sees the front gate as a semi. It also seems to like locking the doors randomly on me. Trying to get groceries out, getting something out of the console for mom. I thought that if it could detect at least one key that it wouldn't lock, but when I leave my purse that has my phone, key card, and fob in it, the doors will lock. Usually that's okay because it happens when my mom and I are running errands and she has her phone out. Is it because I'm only the second driver so it doesn't see me as being as important as my mom is?

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Ah, yes. Our Model 3 sometimes sees the front gate as a semi. It also seems to like locking the doors randomly on me. Trying to get groceries out, getting something out of the console for mom. I thought that if it could detect at least one key that it wouldn't lock, but when I leave my purse that has my phone, key card, and fob in it, the doors will lock. Usually that's okay because it happens when my mom and I are running errands and she has her phone out. Is it because I'm only the second driver so it doesn't see me as being as important as my mom is?
Have you set your phone key as the primary?

Ghost emergency steering trying to kill me, like when cutting turns or even neighborhood driving. Feature cannot be deactivated as it reactivates on next drive. Elon needs muzzled, otherwise more mediocre engineers will replace real talent to wreak havoc at Tesla.

Ghost emergency steering trying to kill me, like when cutting turns or even neighborhood driving. Feature cannot be deactivated as it reactivates on next drive. Elon needs muzzled, otherwise more mediocre engineers will replace real talent to wreak havoc at Tesla.
Are you talking saying that you turn off Lane Departure Avoidance and it comes back on? What you're describing sounds like Lane Assist and the user manual doesn't talk about how to disable that. But it may be a function of Lane Departure Avoidance which you should be able to turn off.