Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your budget for the Model lll?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no appreciable range improvement by limiting potential for performance. Just because a car is capable of 0-60 MPH in three-to-four seconds doesn't mean you can't drive it slowly enough to reach the mark in thirty-to-forty seconds instead. I believe that it is more important to match the electric motor used to the maximum output of the battery pack array that is used. That way you will have the maximum efficiency possible at all points in the power band. Tesla Motors has already shown that a 60 kWh battery pack capacity can be extremely efficient even with a 300+ HP rating on the electric motor. I believe that General Motors has made a mistake by limiting the Chevrolet Bolt to a 200 HP permanent magnet motor.

Does the model S have an "economy" driving mode that makes it easier to do a slow smooth acceleration? i just wonder how easy it is to modulate the pedal on a Performance car to not get a jackrabbit type start.

Does the model S have an "economy" driving mode...?
Not really. You can drive the car in RANGE mode, which may or may not disable certain climate control systems under given conditions. But really, what Tesla Motors has done is given the CHOICE to the Driver. You control your 'fuel economy' with your right foot. Traditional automobile manufacturers take the choice away, by providing wimpy motors, limited capacity battery packs, and electronically limiting top speed on their electric compliance cars and plugin hybrids. I much prefer Tesla's method.

I've noticed several people posting a budget for the much anticipated model lll and thought it would be interesting to maintain a thread on the subject.

Personally, I will budget 50 to 65k for my Model lll. My priorities are range, leather, and performance. Although, I may purchase a 35K model for my daughter.

Needs: 260 + range, power seats, nav, leather, AWD and Autopilot.
Wants: 4.2 second 0-60, pano, rear spoiler, appearance package

Will be fun for sure!

My plan is to be in the 55-65k range. I'm hoping I can get a fully loaded M3 in that range. I would have loved to get a ModelS, but it has just too large of a footprint for me. I like smaller cars.

As a wishlish for that cost:
I'm most interested in:
1. huge battery, If I can get 300 miles in cold weather I'll be happy.
2. Auto Pilot - The most "auto pilot" features I can get.
3. "plush" - BMW/Mercedes level of plush. I'd like for it to be in the same class on the creature feature/comfort scale.
4. Cold Weather package - I hate the cold, and live where it gets VERY cold in the winter.

I'd love to have something like a model 3, P100D with Pano, leather, and all the other bells and whistles. If I can pull it off under 65k, I'll do it.

1. huge battery, If I can get 300 miles in cold weather I'll be happy.
2. Auto Pilot - The most "auto pilot" features I can get.
3. "plush" - BMW/Mercedes level of plush. I'd like for it to be in the same class on the creature feature/comfort scale.
4. Cold Weather package - I hate the cold, and live where it gets VERY cold in the winter.
1) You'd likely need a car with a base, fair weather range expectancy of around 430 miles to be generally assured of getting 300 miles during inclement weather. If one presumes a 60 kWh battery pack would have an EPA rated range of 250 miles... You'd need a 100 kWh battery pack to have a decent chance.

2) That should be doable. I expect Autopilot hardware will become as standard on Tesla Motors vehicles as ABS, Airbags, and Seatbelts are to other marques. Though yes, software activation fees may apply.

3) From what I have heard from Tesla Motors designers, there is zero likelihood they will ever offer a 'plush' interior. The white seats in the Model X are probably the closest they'll ever get. You'll have to set aside dough for an aftermarket tuner to do that for you. TSportline, Unplugged Performance, SALEEN, or West Coast Customs might be up to the task.

4) I live in Los Angeles. Anything under 75° Fahrenheit is 'cold' to me. I've lived where the weather in January & February dips well below 12° F. I'm unlikely to go anywhere colder. Ever.

Gotta have
Largest battery
Tech
AP
Homelink

Maybe have
pano
dual motor (for extra range)

Don't care
Leather
fancy audio
air suspension
satellite radio
Performance

I would assume there are going to be a pretty small set of options packages to make building easier, so that will decide for me.

1) You'd likely need a car with a base, fair weather range expectancy of around 430 miles to be generally assured of getting 300 miles during inclement weather. If one presumes a 60 kWh battery pack would have an EPA rated range of 250 miles... You'd need a 100 kWh battery pack to have a decent chance.

2) That should be doable. I expect Autopilot hardware will become as standard on Tesla Motors vehicles as ABS, Airbags, and Seatbelts are to other marques. Though yes, software activation fees may apply.

3) From what I have heard from Tesla Motors designers, there is zero likelihood they will ever offer a 'plush' interior. The white seats in the Model X are probably the closest they'll ever get. You'll have to set aside dough for an aftermarket tuner to do that for you. TSportline, Unplugged Performance, SALEEN, or West Coast Customs might be up to the task.

4) I live in Los Angeles. Anything under 75° Fahrenheit is 'cold' to me. I've lived where the weather in January & February dips well below 12° F. I'm unlikely to go anywhere colder. Ever.

re: 3
I don't know...I think the Model S is pretty nice. I think it holds it 's own with the 5 or 7 series BMW. Maybe plus means different things I guess.

If I do not end up waiting for the Model Y instead, I would want paint, AWD, air suspension, and cold weather package, and maybe pano roof if like the S it makes the 2nd row passengers more comfortable. Not as important but nice would be tow package, good audio, and leather, but will probably forgo these to save cash. Because this would be my second Tesla, I would be happy with the base range. I hope to stick close to the 45k range give or take a couple K. I wonder how much al carte options we will get with the Model 3. In the conference call, they said one way they would try and economize with the Model 3 is to build the car for ease of manufacturing. This could mean having less configurations than the S and X and more bundled packages.

I'm budgeting $50k including taxes and fees; anything more and I'll end up looking at CPO Model S. My primary reason for not getting an S currently is that I prefer a smaller car, but I'm also not willing to pay much more than $50k for any car.

Hoping to get:

-Dual motor
-Pano
-Leather
-AP
-Largest battery

I was hoping to only spend around $50-55k CAD, but with the way the CAD is tanking, that might limit my options or cause me to spend more than I had hoped. That's only $40k USD right now which will only get me base model plus a few goodies.

- I'd take a bigger battery ($8000 CAD) before I get AWD ($5000 CAD), but I'd really prefer both.

- Cold weather package is a must (heated front seats, steering wheel and mirrors should be mandatory; wiper blade defrosters, washer nozzle heaters, heated rear seats would be gravy) (ballpark $1000 CAD)
- SuperCharger access is a must (ballpark $2500 CAD)
- Sunroof (I'll pay up to $1000 for it)

- No Autopilot (I can drive just fine by myself thank you very much) ($3000 CAD savings)
- No premium interior and lighting ($3000 CAD savings)
- Smart Air suspension will not be available
- Ultra Hi Fi Sound (I'll save my $2000 CAD for something else)
- Rear seats will not be available

Black or Dark Blue. They better have more than 2 colours available. Sick of the monochromatic vehicle colour choices these days.

Probably $50-60K.

Do want:
-Range
-Range
-AutoPilot
-Range
-Supercharging

Don't want:
-Any type of performance upgrade
-Any auto door options (I prefer to open my own door and not pay $$$ when the actuator breaks)
-Any stereo upgrades (they will all fall short of my expectations anyway)
-A 17" touchscreen in the middle of the car (but not holding my breath that it will go away)

My prediction on sunroof- It won't be an option. I believe that the 3 will have a 1 piece, non moveable, glass roof. Tesla has the large glass game down pat so I think this will be a huge selling point at a low-ish cost for them. A few may be disappointed, but Tesla knows how infrequently people actually open their moon/sunroof and that it's not a deal-killer for almost anyone. Plus, this removes lots of weight, expense, complexity, leak issues.

I'm probably going to put the deposit down on reveal day. If it doesn't start to pan out the way I'd want, I'll transfer it over to a CPO-S 70D when one I like becomes available.

Last edited:
I am not about to speculate on precise options, there is lots of time for that. However, the closest ICE analogue for what I want is the BMW M3 sedan. Specifications as I would do it for the M3 yield MSRP of $91,665. If the Tesla 3 has choices as I expect it too, I'll end out with about that price, give or take. That will be ~25% less than was my P85D, so I'll be happy. FWIW, the base BMW 320i right now is $34,145.

My personal guess is that most people thinking of this car forget about the huge price range in competitors. If one wants everything they could have in a larger car, but want one smaller, the price will not really be gigantically smaller either. I doubt Tesla will be trying to make it easy for people to take in a PxxD and retain all the features, but be smaller, and save huge amounts of money. "Ain't gonna happen". For everybody who wants everything, raise your budgets!!

Of course I might be wrong, in which case great for me as a consumer, not so much for me as a Tesla shareholder.

BTW, just think about all the people who pay premia from "pocket rockets'? My own included: Lotus Cortina, Fiat Bravo Turbo ie, Mazda R100 among others. Every one of those cost much more than twice the base models, not one of which I'd have been caught dead in. I expect it to be similar for the Tesla 3.

I'm curious to hear other people's views on this.

My absolute limit would be 50K Euro. Whatever that gets me.
On the plus side, I couldn't care less about leather, sunroof, "premium interior upgrades" and the like. Even autopilot functions are of no interest to me. I don't need Knight Rider style "summoning", self-driving or any of that.

I want as much range as possible for that price, "adequate" performance for my needs (I like fast cars, but for my everyday use, about 5 seconds 0-62 is quite enough to give me a Tesla grin), and comparable fit and finish to a 50K Euro A4, 3-series or C-class. And that's about it. Supercharger access would be nice too. Everything else is a bonus to me.

My budget is up to 300 TSLA shares :D
+1 - but post tax ;)

I just want things I now have in my Leaf
- FOB
- Bluetooth
- QC
- Around view camera
- Remote heating, charging etc
- Heated seats/steering wheel

I don't need
- Navigation (Waze will do that)
- Premium anything
- Higher perf
- Bigger battery option over 60 kWh

Don't want
- leather

Last edited:
Probably $50-60K.

Do want:
-Range
-Range
-AutoPilot
-Range
-Supercharging

Don't want:
-Any type of performance upgrade
-Any auto door options (I prefer to open my own door and not pay $$$ when the actuator breaks)
-Any stereo upgrades (they will all fall short of my expectations anyway)
-A 17" touchscreen in the middle of the car (but not holding my breath that it will go away)

My prediction on sunroof- It won't be an option. I believe that the 3 will have a 1 piece, non moveable, glass roof. Tesla has the large glass game down pat so I think this will be a huge selling point at a low-ish cost for them. A few may be disappointed, but Tesla knows how infrequently people actually open their moon/sunroof and that it's not a deal-killer for almost anyone. Plus, this removes lots of weight, expense, complexity, leak issues.

I'm probably going to put the deposit down on reveal day. If it doesn't start to pan out the way I'd want, I'll transfer it over to a CPO-S 70D when one I like becomes available.

considering the car will be slightly smaller, i wonder if they drop the screen size down to 13 or 15....?

- - - Updated - - -

If the Model 3 is Supercharger-enabled, it will have Nav. Trip planner is a key piece of Musk's elimination of "range anxiety". You'll get nav if you have Supercharger, and honestly, I think it will be in the base model.

Like many fellow Canadians here a lot is going to have to do with where the exchange rate is at when it's finally time to configure, but at this point I'm willing to go as high as $65K-70K CDN hoping that'll net me whatever the M3 equivalent of a P90D with sport seats, better sound, Pano roof and autopilot, assuming all are offered. I should mention that's way over double what I've ever spent on any car in my lifetime. But I figure the extra $25K-ish premium the P model will likely command will be the bargain of the century if it offers anything like the performance of the maxed out MS. If so, nothing in the ICE world will touch it for that price.