Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What items would you take on a long road trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be taking my MYLR on a 1,500 mile (each way) road trip come the beginning of May.
For those that have done long road trips, I'm wondering what items you would pack that you found to be necessary, or just ones that made the trip a lot nicer.

I'm hoping that this thread will be useful to not only myself but to anyone planing a long trip. Thank you in advance for your help.

a gas powered generator to charge the car :) lol

i'm sure you will be fine. just plan out your stops. its best to estimate a rage around 175 - 200 from one stop to the next when doing 80% charge. Also better to charge at lower states 10% - 80% rather than 50 - 90% (will save you some time).

variables are wind, temperatures so keep that in mind and adjust SOC based on this and what the display says.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
Mandatory items:
  • Keycards in your wallet/purse or otherwise kept on your body for when you forget your smartphone in the car
  • Charging adapters especially for J1772 L2 EVSE’s and sockets at RV parks if you’re off the beaten path
  • If your home charging uses the Mobile Connector that came with the car, take it with you
  • Installed Aero covers for 18” wheels
  • Flashlight to find things inside vehicle at night, preferably LED and USB rechargeable
Nice-to-haves:
  • Spare tire, or repair kit/jack/12v compressor
  • Subscription to ABetterRoutePlanner
  • Accounts for non-Tesla EV charging sites (Blink, PlugsIn, Electrify America, ChargePoint, etc.) for emergency use
  • Microfiber cloths and squirt bottle of glass cleaner to keep your cameras clean enroute

The only things I have felt necessary to bring are a credit card and a AAA card, although I have used Tesla's road service I am not sure how many years they make it available.
( I would have thought you always bring a trailer with an array of solar panels, a Tesla Powerwall and equipment to power up your Tesla..OK< just Kidding...massively impressed with your home system, that is all, Love it! )
I carry this>>Charging cable, NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15 adapters, snacks, water, clothes, toiletries, other personal items that you’ll need, a tire patch/plug kit, emergency tire inflator or 12 volt air compressor, maybe a pet, friend or significant other, some cash.
Have a great trip.

Tesla SAE J1772 adapter so you can charge at Level 1 and Level 2 charging stations.
Tesla Mobile Connector kit with NEMA 5-15 plug adapter and any other plug adapters you think you might use (5-20, 14-30, 14-50)
50 ft, even up to 100 ft extension cord with ground connection, 12 gauge or 10 gauge (heavier gauge)
12V tire inflator pump with gauge.
Tire plug kit
Modern Spare kit (optional): includes spare tire, scissor jack, lug nut wrench, 21mm socket.
Jack pad (Note: You should not use a jack pad with a scissor jack, only use a jack pad with a floor jack.)
Squeegee and a spray bottle of glass cleaner for cleaning the windshield (Unlike service station plazas Supercharger locations don't have windshield squeegees you can use.)
Microfiber cloths for cleaning the windows and camera lenses.
Trash bags
Unscented baby wipes for cleaning the seats
Flashlight
Work gloves
Phone charger (your phone can also serve as an emergency flashlight.)
Road flares
Umbrella
Reflective sunshade for the windshield
Interior shade for the glass roof, separate shade for the rear hatch glass if you have passengers in the second or third row or pets.
Washer fluid (reservoir holds 1.2 gallons, fill before leaving.)

Last edited:
Reactions: theocguy and chadol
The other way to handle that I suppose would be to get a compact spare tire kit.
Something like this: www.modernspare.com
If you want a modernspare, order it now. I ordered in Jan and still don't have it.

I've done a cross country trip. Planned everything about the trip then threw most of the planning out the window. The only part of the plan I kept was the hotel reservations.

I don't go by charge remaining most of the time but rather bladder capacity. I like to drink water so we stop about every two hours, typically at a SC location. We also had a cooler for lunches as we were traveling with the dog which makes restaurants out of the question and fast food gets old and expensive quickly.

I also brought window cleaner and microfiber cloths, tire plug kit, air pump, and first aid kit.

I'm moving cross country again in Aug and will also bring a rag and some water like Kyle from out of spec motoring does. Charge handles on V1 and V2 SC's get hot in the summer. A wet rag keep the charge handle temp down and the KW's up.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the input.

Here are a few other items that I was thinking about:

Eye drops (for freshening your eyes after many hours), first-aid kit, audio books, small trash container, duct tape, head lamp, ground cloth (in case you half to look under the car), color printout of proper lift points. towing instructions, and procedure for "jump starting" the 12V system.

Thank you for all of the input.

Here are a few other items that I was thinking about:

Eye drops (for freshening your eyes after many hours), first-aid kit, audio books, small trash container, duct tape, head lamp, ground cloth (in case you half to look under the car), color printout of proper lift points. towing instructions, and procedure for "jump starting" the 12V system.
You should also add a 12V lithium jump starter pack to the list.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Depending on the trip;
  • NEMA 14-50 adapter
  • Tesla mobile charging kit w/ NEMA 5-15 adapter
  • CHAdeMO adapter
  • J1772 adapter

If you stick to interstate freeways, there are DCFC/Superchargers strategically placed. If your travels take you off the interstate; you might find fast chargers only have CCS/CHAdeMO. I know I can’t wait for the CCS adapter to make it to USA, as they are supposed to be cheaper than CHAdeMO adapters . If your non-interstate roadtrips involve colder locations; the current CHAdeMO adapter is practically a must-have accessory, especially if you want to keep the cabin heated (not even considering towing or bike racks).

If you want a modernspare, order it now. I ordered in Jan and still don't have it.

I've done a cross country trip. Planned everything about the trip then threw most of the planning out the window. The only part of the plan I kept was the hotel reservations.

I don't go by charge remaining most of the time but rather bladder capacity. I like to drink water so we stop about every two hours, typically at a SC location. We also had a cooler for lunches as we were traveling with the dog which makes restaurants out of the question and fast food gets old and expensive quickly.

I also brought window cleaner and microfiber cloths, tire plug kit, air pump, and first aid kit.

I'm moving cross country again in Aug and will also bring a rag and some water like Kyle from out of spec motoring does. Charge handles on V1 and V2 SC's get hot in the summer. A wet rag keep the charge handle temp down and the KW's up.
Along with the window cleaner & microfiber cloths, I keep a single edge razor blade in the car to scrape off the dried bugs on the windshield.