Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What motor does your 2023 Model Y have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with experience declining a car on how long it takes to get a new vin/vehicle? Also couldn't have anything to do with the rims ordered could it? Mine are the standard 19s. If I was going to "give away" a higher end motor (not sure if that is an accurate description) but it would be to those that paid for additional accessories.

Last edited:
Thanks for the sharing the video. People seem to think the hairpin motor can improve performance by 20% to 30%, but his theory is Tesla is choosing to provide a hairpin motor with similar performance, but with 20% to 30% reduction in rare materials. That would make sense but is still just speculation at this point.

Reactions: JezzaE
there were 10x MYPs in the lot at local SC and I checked their rear motors. All MYPs VINs ranged from PF699~702 with manufacture date between 2/28 and 3/2. All the rear motors were 3D1. It was surprising there wasnt any 4D1. And we are seeing LRs out of Austin getting 4D1… so if your MYPs were built between 2/28 and 3/2, you most likely got 3D1

Reactions: JCLJorgenson
Tesla is being goofy…some MYPs with newer performance motors, some MYPs with ”older” motors and MYLRs with performance motors, even though they “aren’t” supposed to.

That said, I got an OBD wire adapter and plugged in my OBDLink MX+ (bought a while back for my HR-V) and even have SMT on my phone… I would love to do a log on the performance, but… do I really have to go 200kph (125mph) like in the other log shown?

I’ve hit 100mph once or twice, it honestly that’s about my limit on public roads (especially considering that was almost double the speed limit, 55mph).

Is a 0-60 mph close enough?

Last edited:
Tesla is being goofy…some MYPs with newer performance motors, some MYPs with ”older” motors and MYLRs with performance motors, even though they “aren’t” supposed to.

That said, I got an OBD wire adapter and plugged in my OBDLink MX+ (bought a while back for my HR-V) and even have SMT on my phone… I would love to do a log on the performance, but… do I really have to go 200kph (125mph) like in the other log shown?

I’ve hit 100mph once or twice, it honestly that’s about my limit on public roads (especially considering that was almost double the speed limit, 55mph).

Is a 0-60 mph close enough?

See if you have a local Dyno shop...that can run the AWD. Then you can safely run it that fast.

there were 10x MYPs in the lot at local SC and I checked their rear motors. All MYPs VINs ranged from PF699~702 with manufacture date between 2/28 and 3/2. All the rear motors were 3D1. It was surprising there wasnt any 4D1. And we are seeing LRs out of Austin getting 4D1… so if your MYPs were built between 2/28 and 3/2, you most likely got 3D1

That's very odd....

I have advised him in the comments section that Tesla has been using Hairpin motors for two full years now. It's not a novelty at all. No reaction though...
Just to add to my statement. This is the European Type Certificate for Model 3/Y from early 2021.
1679042405258.png

Those new 3D6/3D7 Hairpin motors were first spotted in GF3 Shanghai cars produced from July 2021.

GF4 Grünheide (Berlin/Germany) seems to have fully switched to the new DU CAT 4 4D1 hairpin motor in German made Model Y Performance. The Model Y Long Range out of this plant still gets the older DU CAT 3 3D7 hairpin base motor. At some point we will see that one replaced by the newer 4D5, as the "smaller brother" to the 4D1.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
Decided to make use of a forest preserve road after work (almost 10pm)... had to work my way up because the road curved multiple times and had to find the best place to get as long a stretch as possible (without driving myself into the swamp)... and only got one 0-100 mph run before giving up.

And I'm no good at doing actual 0-anything pulls, as you'll see. Definitely not brave enough to attempt 125mph there.

Consumption.jpg

The first graph is consumption... I had to separate it from the log because it's one a much higher scale that basically flattened out everything else.

0-100.jpg

The weird "step" at the starting rise, as best as I can guess, is the torque throwing me into the seat which kinda made me lift my foot off the pedal for a moment. But I tried to keep my foot all the way down as long as possible.

SOC started at about 50%. Wasn't in log because I was just logging whatever was in the performance page... unless it was whatever I had selected, that I thought was getting logged in the "all" menu... SMT takes a bit of getting used to. That said, I'm guessing the numbers could be higher if I had a higher SOC.

Was starting to describe key data points, but it might be easier just for folks who know what they're looking at, to just look at the file.

The log.

Have at it.

Oh, I think it was about 28 F... so, just below freezing.

Last edited:
Reactions: EVRob78 and Mr_Joe
Decided to make use of a forest preserve road after work (almost 10pm)... had to work my way up because the road curved multiple times and had to find the best place to get as long a stretch as possible (without driving myself into the swamp)... and only got one 0-100 mph run before giving up.

And I'm no good at doing actual 0-anything pulls, as you'll see. Definitely not brave enough to attempt 125mph there.

View attachment 918774

The first graph is consumption... I had to separate it from the log because it's one a much higher scale that basically flattened out everything else.

View attachment 918771

The weird "step" at the starting rise, as best as I can guess, is the torque throwing me into the seat which kinda made me lift my foot off the pedal for a moment. But I tried to keep my foot all the way down as long as possible.

SOC started at about 50%. Wasn't in log because I was just logging whatever was in the performance page... unless it was whatever I had selected, that I thought was getting logged in the "all" menu... SMT takes a bit of getting used to. That said, I'm guessing the numbers could be higher if I had a higher SOC.

Was starting to describe key data points, but it might be easier just for folks who know what they're looking at, to just look at the file.

The log.

Have at it.

Oh, I think it was about 28 F... so, just below freezing.
Great stuff!

Any chance you could do that again with ideal conditions? SoC and cell temp as high as possible, aiming for 100%/50°C, which is hard to do if there is no suitable road next do a DC charger, I know.

Just judging by this power reduced 50% run, the new motor is not making a real difference. Torque is pretty much the same as the 3D6 hairpin motor out of China when paired with the Panasonic battery pack. It also doesnt deliver more power at higher speeds. This is comparing EU/China hairpin motor to the US 4D1.

The US 3D1 motor keeps its high torque a little longer, but looses more torque at higher speed. This is apparently still the one to have for good 0-60mph times. The hairpin 3D6/4D1 motors "shine" more at highway speed acceleration.

I've got lots of 100%/50°C logs of 3D1 and 3D6 paired with the US Panasonic and China LG battery packs. So for perfect comparison we would need a similar high SOC/Temp run with the 4D1.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
To date, the North America Model Y has traditionally had the 980 rear motor for the Performance and the 990 motor for the Long Range. But my 2023 LR has a new hairpin motor called the 4D1 (which is supposed to be an upgrade to the 980 Performance motor). It turns out there are at least a few other 2023 MY LRs out there with the same 4D1 motor and I believe they are all Austin builds with VINs that erroneously identify the LR as a Performance (F in position 8). So far I am only aware of cars that VIN with PA048 or PA049. As a side note, these new Performance motors are not providing any extra boost, since the LR software is still limiting their capabilities.

It would be interesting to see what motors others are receiving in their 2023 MY. The video below shows how to locate the 980 and 990 motor in a Model 3, but the Model Y will be in the same place (you don't need to jack the vehicle). My 4D1 motor's placard. however, is in a slightly different location - just under the boot that connects to the motor (see the attached image). For the 4D1 photo, I found it best to use my cell phone camera set to flash with a 10 second timer. After starting the timer, I inserted it under the vehicle from the rear of the back left tire (not forward of the tire), then placed it up and angled towards the placard location.

Please post your results similar to my format below (you can exclude last 3 digits of VIN):

December 2022 Austin Build LR, 7SAYGDEF4PA049XXX, 4D1 Motor

MYLR Fremont. Going to take a look today and verify which motor. Also saw this interesting software hack: