Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What motor does your 2023 Model Y have?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine seems different from the rest here:

MYLR
7SAYGDEE5PF688XXX
Build date 02/23
Fremont
Rear motor: 3D7/780

Attachments

• 20230307_194239.jpg
    20230307_194239.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 364
  • Informative
Reactions: Mr_Joe

MYLR
7SAYGDEE5PF688XXX
Build date 02/23
Fremont
Oh wow, that's interesting! Searching that motor online brings up the Tesla website saying that the 3D7 motor is for MY manufactured in China!
Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Looking at Reddit I found this:
Model 3 Motor Discussion
Chinese built M3s after the hairpin motors became available don't get 3D1 motors, the 3D6 and 3D7 are the equivalent 'hairpin' motors to the 3D1 and 3D5. They are a different construction internally but roughly equivalent in performance. They should get rolled out to the US built cars eventually too.
If I'm reading that right it's basically the hairpin motor equivalent of the 3D5. The 3D1 was the wire winding motor typically included with Performance models and the 3D5 was the wire winding motor typically included in LR models.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Mr_Joe

MYLR
7SAYGDEE5PF688XXX
Build date 02/23
Fremont
Agree with others, very interesting to see a China built motor in your Fremont vehicle. So far, the motor placards have been using build code GTX, which means Giga Texas. Your motor's code is TG3, which stands for Tesla Gigafactory 3, referencing the China manufacturing plant. FYI, this thread references the different motors in post #36.

• Informative
Reactions: Pricedm
Well leave it to me to be unlucky. Haven't actually picked the car up, bank was slow to close the loan, but I went by to find it on the lot. Guess I got lucky with getting such a clean photo by randomly snapping photos behind the wheel well, but not so much on the motor. Half tempted to deny and gamble on the next one. Also of note is that my motor code is for Gigafactory 1 which is in Nevada I guess? Where most were reporting Texas as the motor manufacturer.
PXL_20230308_231752425 (1).jpg

Well leave it to me to be unlucky. Haven't actually picked the car up, bank was slow to close the loan, but I went by to find it on the lot. Guess I got lucky with getting such a clean photo by randomly snapping photos behind the wheel well, but not so much on the motor. Half tempted to deny and gamble on the next one. Also of note is that my motor code is for Gigafactory 1 which is in Nevada I guess? Where most were reporting Texas as the motor manufacturer.
Thanks for the info. I wouldn't get too hung up on having the 3D5/990 motor, this is honestly what should be expected for all MYLR. The MYLR getting higher end motors are currently unable to see any significant benefit, since the software is limiting performance so that all vehicles perform with similar specs. Any chance you can verify this additional missing info for the tracking sheet?

1. Model and Trim (MYLR or MYP). Must be MYLR
2. VIN (You can drop the last 3 digits, but please include the 8th digit to see if all 4D1 motors have an F). I'm guessing 8th digit is an E, full VIN info (excluding last 3 digits) will be helpful.
3. Vehicle Build Date (can be found on the driver's door jam or vehicle sticker sheet). Likely 2/2023.
4. Factory (Fremont or Austin, can also be determined from the VIN's 11th digit, F or A). Most likely Fremont.
5. Rear Motor (3D1/980, 3D5/990, or 4D1). 3D5/990 already provided.
6. Rear Motor Build Date (With a good photo/video, can be determined from last 5 digits on the motor placard, should start with a 22 or 23 with 3 numbers identifying the sequential day of year). Placard's 23046 = 2/15/2023

Reactions: EVRob78
1. MYLR
2 7SAYGDEE6PF691***
3. Couldn't see the inside since I don't pick up until Saturday. Tesla said 2/15/23 when I was texting them.
4. Freemont according to VIN

Reason I am hung up is I would have purchased the Ghost module from Ingenext. Now I can't. Yeah I know I can buy the boost, but I got all excited when I saw everyone else getting the 980 motor. Haven't decided yet on if I accept it. I also was only provided the VIN on Friday last week and it was already on the lot. Means someone must have cancelled, finances fall through, or rejected it.

Out of curiosity. Build date can't be 2/15 from Fremont like Tesla said can it since motor has a build date of 2/15 in Nevada. Of course I don't know what level of "build" constitutes a Tesla's born date, or how long it takes a model y to be built from start to finish. Any idea, can a car have parts built after or on (but far away) the cars "build" date?

1. MYLR
2 7SAYGDEE6PF691***
3. Couldn't see the inside since I don't pick up until Saturday. Tesla said 2/15/23 when I was texting them.
4. Freemont according to VIN

Reason I am hung up is I would have purchased the Ghost module from Ingenext. Now I can't. Yeah I know I can buy the boost, but I got all excited when I saw everyone else getting the 980 motor. Haven't decided yet on if I accept it. I also was only provided the VIN on Friday last week and it was already on the lot. Means someone must have cancelled, finances fall through, or rejected it.

I think the recent LRs have mostly had 990 3D5s motors or 3D7s.

I think in Dec Tesla was already planning on the price cuts and they knew that the LR would qualify for the tax rebate and the MYP would not. They anticipated a huge preference towards the LR and most likely heavily shifted production towards the LR over the MYP back in Dec or earlier.

At the same time they knew the 4D1s were coming from Texas and they had all these left over 3D1s for the MYPs they weren't planning to make. During this period it seems like a large portion of all the MYLRs were coming with the 980/3D1 motors. I think the motor shortage must have gotten bad enough that they even put some of the 4D1s into the LRs coming out of Texas. I bet the production line was most skewed towards the LR at right before the price drop in Dec, in anticipation of buyer patterns.

Then once wait times increased for the LR to past March and the MYP suddenly qualified for the tax rebate in early Feb, the LR to MYP ratio probably became less skewed against the MYP and it became no longer necessary to put 980 or 4D1 motors into the LR cars.

Thus rejecting and waiting for a new build will have increasingly lower chances of getting the 980 motor, and you might miss out on the 7500 tax rebate. However if you wait long enough you might get HW4.

Last edited:
Reactions: EVRob78 and Jblache
Not to throw any salt in the wounds, but I reached out to Ingenext when I found out I had one of the first 4D1 motors - to see if they know if the motor was compatible and how it would perform with their ghost module. They were shocked I had it in my Model Y LR and offered me a 25% discount on the ghost module if I would also let them use a provided CAN logging device to learn more. I'm honestly not a speedster and am happy with standard LR specs, so I passed. But if anyone else has a 4D1 and is interested in the Ghost module, you may want to reach out to their customer service. You will probably need to show a photo of your motor's placard.

FYI, they really haven't been marketing the ghost module on the MYLR, since most are expected to have the 3D5/990 motor. This new development could really open some doors for them. Just know it voids the Tesla warranty and it's possible Tesla could eventually implement a software update that kills it.

Reactions: flai54 and EVRob78
Not to throw any salt in the wounds, but I reached out to Ingenext when I found out I had one of the first 4D1 motors - to see if they know if the motor was compatible and how it would perform with their ghost module. They were shocked I had it in my Model Y LR and offered me a 25% discount on the ghost module if I would also let them use a provided CAN logging device to learn more. I'm honestly not a speedster and am happy with standard LR specs, so I passed. But if anyone else has a 4D1 and is interested in the Ghost module, you may want to reach out to their customer service. You will probably need to show a photo of your motor's placard.

FYI, they really haven't been marketing the ghost module on the MYLR, since most are expected to have the 3D5/990 motor. This new development could really open some doors for them. Just know it voids the Tesla warranty and it's possible Tesla could eventually implement a software update that kills it.
Yep, that salt stings a little bit. I was going to wait until Black Friday for the same percent sale. Would have been happy to.

I think the recent LRs have mostly had 990 3D5s motors or 3D7s.

I think in Dec Tesla was already planning on the price cuts and they knew that the LR would qualify for the tax rebate and the MYP would not. They anticipated a huge preference towards the LR and most likely heavily shifted production towards the LR over the MYP back in Dec or earlier.

At the same time they knew the 4D1s were coming from Texas and they had all these left over 3D1s for the MYPs they weren't planning to make. During this period it seems like a large portion of all the MYLRs were coming with the 980/3D1 motors. I think the motor shortage must have gotten bad enough that they even put some of the 4D1s into the LRs coming out of Texas. I bet the production line was most skewed towards the LR at right before the price drop in Dec, in anticipation of buyer patterns.

Then once wait times increased for the LR to past March and the MYP suddenly qualified for the tax rebate in early Feb, the LR to MYP ratio probably became less skewed against the MYP and it became no longer necessary to put 980 or 4D1 motors into the LR cars.

Thus rejecting and waiting for a new build will have increasingly lower chances of getting the 980 motor, and you might miss out on the 7500 tax rebate. However if you wait long enough you might get HW4.
I agree for Fremont builds, although I was surprised to see TG1 on my motor, but I have yet to see a recent Austin MYLR without the 3d1. Unless I have missed it on here or the other sites I watch.

I agree for Fremont builds, although I was surprised to see TG1 on my motor, but I have yet to see a recent Austin MYLR without the 3d1. Unless I have missed it on here or the other sites I watch.
Agree, most have been 3D1 motors, but It'sMeRoger just accepted a Fremont Build MYLR with a 3D5/990 motor, although I don't know where the motor was built. RobTheGob is in Canada and just received a Fremont build MYLR with a 3D7/770 motor from China.

Agree, most have been 3D1 motors, but It'sMeRoger just accepted a Fremont Build MYLR with a 3D5/990 motor, although I don't know where the motor was built. RobTheGob is in Canada and just received a Fremont build MYLR with a 3D7/770 motor from China.
Yeah, so if I choose to gamble, I would be hoping for an Austin build. I probably won't, but depends how actual pick up goes.