Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im watching this one for a good entry point. In general a lot of the tech stocks valuations are through the roof. This one is actually at a decent valuation.

Do you think FVRR will continue growing at the same clip? I mean how is the TAM? You saw what happened to some of the other hot tech stocks today. This was a solid recommendation btw. I did look it up back in April but never pulled the trigger.
I honestly dont know the Tam for Fiverr but the TAM for freelancing market is 1.5 trillion, with US being 50% of that market.

The reason why I don't know what Fiverr is because this is uncharted territory where the ease of access provides more opportunities for gig work than the usually TAM as there are many hidden talent around the world. Some kid from Bangladesh may never be able to create art or music for someone in the US prior to Fiverr because access was impossible especially without a secure platform. Think how with Uber there are suddenly hundreds of thousands of taxi drivers created out of thin air. So Fiverr if realized to its full potential I feel like can be bigger than Etsy or eBay.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3ySFboM8_9RUMmQ2MCCcSE

• Informative
Reactions: vikings123
Can anyone splash some water on me if I'm totally missing something here?

*Square wants to get into Africa. It shows sign of global ambitions for Cash App.

*Dorsey invests in lightning labs as a way to speed up / lower transaction costs on BTC

*Libra gets blasted for having a company (FB) basically try to own a global currency

*Could Square use BTC as a way to make Cash App the global platform-agnostic transaction mechanism for commerce?

*If people globally use BTC just to transfer money internationally instantly and in a low cost way (through some integration of either Square proprietary tech or lightning labs) that alone is a huge market

*Since Square is using BTC, it won't face problems Libra has

*However, Square could provide the only low cost way to regularly use BTC due to its technological investment

*If the above is true, and Square even just gets some small % market share of transaction share in several countries, that makes Square like a trillion dollar company no? And if it actually gains traction, the sky's the limit? Am I crazy? What am I missing?

*This is also how crypto goes mainstream. Especially if you can convert from BTC to a local currency. It's such a pain in the ass to money transfer internationally right now.

Thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: dc_h and EinSV
I just looked them up on Amazon and it seems like people love their products. Isn't the security camera and door bells market very saturated? What is their competitive advantage?
Well, historically their competitive advantage was/is that they are mostly a WIRELESS and battery operated camera, so easier to install and deploy vs. something that needs either POE or AC power. For external outdoors products, of course there is solar and external battery for longer running times. I’ve used their products since the VueZone skunk works days, and continue to use them when the were acquired by Netgear and then spun out. In the past year I would say they were too bleeding edge with things like 4K video and too many features - but that required higher prices and ended up with shorter battery run times, but I think their product mix has gotten much better and they are now making inroads into the security mgmt space. With the Securitas partnership.

Reactions: vikings123
Pretty much. Don't know about trillion, but I guess it's possible. It's my second largest holding behind Tesla for these reasons and more.

*Square wants to get into Africa. It shows sign of global ambitions for Cash App.

*Dorsey invests in lightning labs as a way to speed up / lower transaction costs on BTC

*Libra gets blasted for having a company (FB) basically try to own a global currency

*Could Square use BTC as a way to make Cash App the global platform-agnostic transaction mechanism for commerce?

*If people globally use BTC just to transfer money internationally instantly and in a low cost way (through some integration of either Square proprietary tech or lightning labs) that alone is a huge market

*However, Square could provide the only low cost way to regularly use BTC due to its technological investment

*If the above is true, and Square even just gets some small % market share of transaction share in several countries, that makes Square like a trillion dollar company no? And if it actually gains traction, the sky's the limit? Am I crazy? What am I missing?

*This is also how crypto goes mainstream. Especially if you can convert from BTC to a local currency. It's such a pain in the ass to money transfer internationally right now.

Thoughts?

Reactions: phantasms

Thoughts?

With all the BTC fraud and exchange bankruptcy disasters in the past, I wouldn't invest in anything that relies on it. BTC isn't a good currency or payment currency since its value fluctuates wildly. The whole point of currencies is that their value is more or less stable over time.

With all the BTC fraud and exchange bankruptcy disasters in the past, I wouldn't invest in anything that relies on it. BTC isn't a good currency or payment currency since its value fluctuates wildly. The whole point of currencies is that their value is more or less stable over time.

You can sub out BTC for a stablecoin like nano or whatever. It's the broader point (though BTC seems to be their route as Jack is a maximalist). And yah there's a lot of crypto scams but that doesn't deter from the underlining power of the potential. Same with Tik Tok influencers and WSB bros pumping the hell outta TSLA.

For folks holding $FVRR, $SQ, and the like... Would you initiate a new position up here (assuming you haven't enjoyed the amazing ride up in the past 3-6 months)? If yes, through commons, or Leaps for downside protection?
If not, what's a good entry?
So, I sold 50% of my $SQ at 152$, (entries $45/$52) assuming it would go to $160.. At these levels, I would wait till it pulls back to <$120 to re-enter or start any new position. I’m still holding the remaining %50, but that is in a LTH ROTH account. I think with retail, restaurant closures and bankruptcies coming (~%25) PAY and SQ will probably pull back to 20%-30%% below recent highs before moving higher which I think they can.

Frankly, for LEAPS in stocks that have moved this much they are VERY $$$, yes les than the underlying but paying 10-15% for LEAPS in my opinion doesn’t present the RR that I use leaps for.. back in 2009, buying bank leaps for .05-.10 CENTS on a 10$ strike two years out was really nice RR. Those opportunities come once a decade or very short term in duration.

This might give you some leads:

The pandemic is giving e-bikes a boost

[...]

Big firms such as Accell and Giant of Taiwan compete with sporty brands such as America’s Cannondale and affordable city rides from QWIC. Brompton, a British maker of fancy folding bikes, has been making 10% of its £42.5m ($56m) in annual sales from the electric sort, and hopes eventually to raise that figure to 40%. VanMoof, which raised $13.5m from investors in May, bills itself as the Tesla of e-bikes. Like the electric-car maker it designs its own parts, motors and software rather than relying on off-the-shelf bits and bobs. The result is a more seamless product, boasts Taco Carlier, a Dutch engineer who co-founded VanMoof with his brother in 2009.

Demand is growing faster than manufacturers can keep up, leading to long backlogs and premium prices, which start at around $1,000. Giant says that its gross margin on e-bikes is around 25%, above its average of 21%. VanMoof’s machines go for $2,000 a pop.

[...]​

VanMoof looks like a great company. You can tell they make their own components since it is so integrated. Their bikes look like ordinary bikes, not e-bikes. Half decent price point too. Too bad they are private!

Reactions: Johann Koeber
CLSK has a current market cap of $24M, and TTM EPS of -$5, even at its low price of $2.52/share. So, TTM loss is double its market cap (ie, they lost $48M over the last 12 months). I know nothing about the company, but that's why its share price is $2.50 and not $20. Losing $5/share over 12 months is awful no matter who you are.

So I panned this pick, and now it has risen 5x. Anyone know why it has skyrocketed?

Nano One recommended here (17 mins in). His concern is whether they have a customer. Market cap is 107m CA$. Worth a punt? Will the world be scrambling to buy up these companies in the wake of battery day?

So this company had to issue a press release saying they had no idea why their stock price is soaring, which I thought was funny (all EV related company stock are soaring):

Nano One is Unaware of Any Material Change | Nano One Materials Corp.

Recently, they inked a manufacturing deal with an Asian (not China) company to use their IP:

Nano One Enters JDA with Global Cathode Material Producer

Their executives are ... interesting. They've been at past fringe companies that didn't go anywhere (Ballard Power, General Fusion).

The make battery cell cathodes using a wet process, less oven time than the usual process, but presumably not as good as Tesla's dry process. You'd have to have a lot of battery cell industry knowledge to know if this company is a buy or not.

Last edited:
Yes it is a pity. It's a European IPO if I'm not mistaken. Don't be shy, let us know as you find out about them!

You better not listen to me, I don't have expertise at all: I was fascinated by Musk comments on RNA solutions, and the fact that Tesla collaborates with them and Bill Gates invests in them was enough for me.
I bought an handful of shares out of FOMO and I am already in the red :D
But I like what I see and will ride the stock for a while.

Sigh. So I looked into these stocks a bit more. I think we are seeing knock on effects from Tesla, frankly.

FUV - Arcimoto, based in Oregon. I just don't see it. There has never been a successful 3 wheel vehicle segment, let alone company. They have some nice marketing videos on their website, but they obviously haven't figured out the market either since they show multiple uses. Delivery: How much can you deliver in such a small vehicle? "Fun Utility Vehicle": They're reaching! How much fun is it going slowly down a road with no doors? You've got a guy in a suit driving one of these things - how does that work in the rain? Then they show someone getting groceries - looks like two bags will fit. Lost $15M last year on $1M in sales, ended the year with $6M in the bank.

AYRO - Has two vehicles, a 3 wheeler, and a very light duty delivery "van". They use lead acid batteries - these are effectively an outgrowth of standard golf cart technology. Might as well buy Club Car or something like that. Also undercapitalized, announced a direct offering today which is why stock price jumped 63%. Only raising $15M. $83M market cap even with the price jump. Do these guys have any Intellectual Property at all? Or even a half decent product?

SOLO - AAAAHHHH! Another three wheeled car! Funny, FUV started with no doors, AYRO had doors, optional, and SOLO now looks like a fully finished car ... yet only has three wheels. Sigh. At least these guys are using lithium ion batteries. No real revenues yet, can pre-order car, has $6M in bank. And yet sports a $324M market cap after today's 64% rise. No idea why.

NIU - Finally, a real company! Sells Vespa-like EV scooters. Tons of sales, products that people want, great price point! But ... they are a Chinese company. You'd have to do some serious due diligence investing in any Chinese public company since their audit and listing standards aren't anywhere near that of the US. But if you want to gamble that they won't succumb to cooking their books, then looks good. They sell primarily in China, a little bit in Europe. Lots of opportunity, presumably, in the US.

Someone else mentioned NIO. Another real company (sells actual EVs), another Chinese company. Again, if you can get over them being a Chinese listed company, could be good.

FYI, all four of these company's stock prices are lower now than they were when I wrote this message on July 6 (written in response to huge price jumps for all four companies). NIO price is now higher, but it is quite different from these other companies in that NIO is an established Chinese EV car company selling mainstream cars. Caveat emptor.

PLUG?

I bought about $2000 worth of this back in 1999. It pretty much got vaporized in the tech-wreck and my 30 shares were worth so little, I never saw a point in selling (in IRA). Every once in a blue moon I check in on the stock to see what's happening. I just did that and, in the Yahoo Conversations, everyone is basically frothing at the mouth over the developments with the company and where they think the stock price is going.

I have no idea where the company's potential stands right now. When I bought it, I did so with fantasies of hydrogen powered skateboard platforms for a new age of automobiles. Obviously that didn't pan out. Now they seem to be in the business of powering robotics and warehouse vehicles. Does anyone have an opinion, or better yet, knowledge as to whether PLUG may now be a company worth investing in?

PLUG?

I bought about $2000 worth of this back in 1999. It pretty much got vaporized in the tech-wreck and my 30 shares were worth so little, I never saw a point in selling (in IRA). Every once in a blue moon I check in on the stock to see what's happening. I just did that and, in the Yahoo Conversations, everyone is basically frothing at the mouth over the developments with the company and where they think the stock price is going.

I have no idea where the company's potential stands right now. When I bought it, I did so with fantasies of hydrogen powered skateboard platforms for a new age of automobiles. Obviously that didn't pan out. Now they seem to be in the business of powering robotics and warehouse vehicles. Does anyone have an opinion, or better yet, knowledge as to whether PLUG may now be a company worth investing in?

Without looking too hard, seems like a good time to sell if I were you. They provide hydrogen powered PEMs and that just won't work long term versus batteries which are getting better and better much faster than hydrogen is.