Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious, I saw a video from these folks, TransAstra, TransAstra Corporation here on TMC but searched and cannot find within the last few weeks
has anyone else investigated them

Their proposal seems to be asteroid mining of NEO's (Near Earth Objects) using concentrated sunlight for both spalting the surfaces to grind them into dust and collect the volatiles, Water and other gas's, use cold of space to freeze most of that, and collect in-situ dirty water and use the directed sunlight on it for low thrust
this would allow low delta V to collect essentially boulders up to house sized ones.

They seem to have gotten some NASA grants and have a proposal it seems to send a desk size "proof of concept" to chase down a small synthetic asteroid released from a Falcon 9.
(there is also a video of their larger miner specifically sized for SpaceX Starship, it unfolds origami like with tensegrity structures)
I'm presently cautiously researching. I did get an answer that $100,000, which is completely at 100% risk of loss is minimum buy in.

(i do have a somewhat personal interest as I dated the wife of one of their lawyers in the 1960's)
(weirdly small world)

anyway, here is one of their video's

I am very aware how things can go sideways even with a lot of planning so I am being very cautious

and a larger one for 30 meter asteroids

So until you guys tell me to shut up, I'll make regular posts as I make my journey doing my due diligence on EmeraMed that @PeterJA introduced us to.

While I wait to read the private placement memo, I listened to the 1.5 hour YouTube video (it is a conversation, so easy to listen to in the car) of Dr. Mercola interviewing EmeraMed's founder, Boyd Haley, Phd of chemistry and biochemistry. I recommend listening to it, lots to chew on, and you'll learn quite a few things:

Listening to Dr. Haley, you realize he is very careful with his words - Mercola would leap to some conclusion about method of action, and Haley would correct him and say, well, we don't know that, but we do know it has effect X.

According to Dr. Haley, the compound does several things. First, it is a heavy metal chelator. It binds to mercury, iron and cadmium among others, and the resultant compound is caught in the liver and eventually pooped out. Second, it is a powerful anti-oxidant which has a bunch of positive health effects.

They had manufactured it at scale and started selling it as a health supplement in 2008-2010. They had done enough animal and human studies to show non-toxicity, so they figured the easiest path to commercialization was simply to sell it at $30/month supply. As long as they didn't tout any specific health benefits, the FDA would allow its sale.

Some people found that the drug helped reduce autistic symptoms. The example Haley gave was a mother with a 12 year old autistic child who had severe outbursts. After using the drug, he stopped having uncontrolled outbursts (autistic "temper tantrums") and could actually go back to school (he had been banned before). It wasn't a "cure" as some people on this forum liked to jump to conclusions about, it simply relieved the worst symptoms in some patients. Same for ALS and Parkinsons. Again, not all, but some people found that it helped them (again, not a cure!).

The theory is that in these cases the drug is chelating heavy metals. It appears that some people are more sensitive to heavy metal build up than others (Why? Genetics? Who knows) and when it builds up in the brain, bad things happen.

Someone complained to the FDA that the compound was being used to, gasp, treat actual medical conditions, so the FDA actually raided the company. And while the company was very careful to never tout any actual medical benefits (they had retained an FDA savvy lawyer beforehand), they realized that fighting the FDA wasn't in their capabilities. One lawyer said it would cost about a year and $1M to get the FDA off their back, but Haley had started the company on a shoestring, had already put up about $900K of his own money into the supplement business, and decided the best course of action was to go the medical trial route.

So, he's been working towards getting FDA approval for the drug to be approved as a heavy metal chelator. The reason the phase 2A trial is in south america is because there is a group of school children there who were exposed to mercury and they would make a good test group. They tried to first use gold miners as a test group but the problem is that they kept getting re-exposed to mercury (which is often found in gold mining) meaning they would show improvement and then levels would go back up, etc.

What else do I know - I do know that the company is very careful to follow all known laws and regulations, not only medical but securities. The reason the PPM isn't being distributed right now is that they need to revise it based on a recent FDA meeting they had (that's an SEC rule that I can assure you, few private companies follow).

Next up for me is reading various published papers...

Does anybody have any thoughts about ticker ASTI? A fellow I know in the solar industry recommended it 2 days ago to me. Not doing any research at all, I bought a measly $1,000 worth at $0.0209 yet here it is 2 days later up 30%. Damn, should have bought more!

Since the original posting introducing EmeraMed was made as a reply to my post about my investment criteria, I want to be very clear that I personally I would NOT CONSIDER this company not only for investment of money but even for investment of time for further investigation.

The risks are too high in my opinion. Here is my rationale :

1. "Dr" Mercola is not a MD, he is an osteopath with history of making false and misleading medical claims which are leveraged to sell products. He is infamous enough that he has the dedicated page on Wikipedia: Joseph Michael Mercola (born July 8, 1954) from which I quote:

"On his website, Mercola and colleagues advocate a number of unproven alternative health notions including homeopathy and opposition to vaccination."

"mixes the boring, sensible health advice with pseudoscientific advice in such a way that it’s hard for someone without a medical background to figure out which is which."

Red Flag #1:
Given questionable credibility of Dr Mercola it is difficult to understand why well intentioned company/scientist would choose his channel to discuss his product. We don't know if we are dealing with ill will or poor judgement but both bode bad for an investment.

2. Privately listed company - while posters here, thanks to Elon, can count ourselves among accredited investors, it does not imply experience of a typical accredited investor. Unlisted companies and venture capital are shark infested waters where newbies are easily scalped by misrepresentation and poor liquidity. If you really want to consider private company limit yourself to those with multi billion dollar valuations.

Red Flag #2:
Lack of rigorous disclosure.

3. The archetype of avoiding contamination is one of the strongest prewired instincts in humans, it has been used successfully to exploit countless individuals. This instinct was exploited by industries which sell detox diets, digital detox, removing embedded aliens/thetans, and historically sold indulgences to remove soul contamination with sin.

I did fell into myself, bought a bottle of spirulina algae to remove "heavy metal from my body". It took few days after I got bottle home before I realized that I do not really think clear. The risk posed by unregulated supplement, likely harvested in harbour in China was larger than mercury present in my body.

Red flag #3: cleansing/decontamination narrative

Opinions are fine, but due diligence is better. I shall continue my research into Emeramed. It will take me a while though, got lots of projects going on simultaneously right now.

While Mercola has his faults, at least he is genuinely trying to help people. He may go down wrong paths from time to time, but then that’s why everyone has to decide things for themselves. Lord knows the official medical establishment is far from perfect themselves.

A small example. I take a joint supplement that I absolutely know helps my knee pain (if I go off it for a few days, pain returns). My doctor would never have recommended it since it isn’t prescription and hasn’t had FDA efficacy tested clinical trials, etc. But people like Mercola do know about these things and tell people about them.

As far as investing in private companies go, it surely isn't for everyone, and of course it is risky! I actually find it fun. I like learning new things, I actually like researching things, and I like following the evolution of a startup. I had my own startup so I have a base to compare things to.

Since the original posting introducing EmeraMed was made as a reply to my post about my investment criteria, I want to be very clear that I personally I would NOT CONSIDER this company not only for investment of money but even for investment of time for further investigation.

The risks are too high in my opinion. Here is my rationale :

1. "Dr" Mercola is not a MD, he is an osteopath with history of making false and misleading medical claims which are leveraged to sell products. He is infamous enough that he has the dedicated page on Wikipedia: Joseph Michael Mercola (born July 8, 1954) from which I quote:

"On his website, Mercola and colleagues advocate a number of unproven alternative health notions including homeopathy and opposition to vaccination."

"mixes the boring, sensible health advice with pseudoscientific advice in such a way that it’s hard for someone without a medical background to figure out which is which."

Red Flag #1:
Given questionable credibility of Dr Mercola it is difficult to understand why well intentioned company/scientist would choose his channel to discuss his product. We don't know if we are dealing with ill will or poor judgement but both bode bad for an investment.

2. Privately listed company - while posters here, thanks to Elon, can count ourselves among accredited investors, it does not imply experience of a typical accredited investor. Unlisted companies and venture capital are shark infested waters where newbies are easily scalped by misrepresentation and poor liquidity. If you really want to consider private company limit yourself to those with multi billion dollar valuations.

Red Flag #2:
Lack of rigorous disclosure.

3. The archetype of avoiding contamination is one of the strongest prewired instincts in humans, it has been used successfully to exploit countless individuals. This instinct was exploited by industries which sell detox diets, digital detox, removing embedded aliens/thetans, and historically sold indulgences to remove soul contamination with sin.

I did fell into myself, bought a bottle of spirulina algae to remove "heavy metal from my body". It took few days after I got bottle home before I realized that I do not really think clear. The risk posed by unregulated supplement, likely harvested in harbour in China was larger than mercury present in my body.

Red flag #3: cleansing/decontamination narrative

Thank you for your comments. I can't agree with the logic.

1) Mercola. Your argument here is called argumentum ad hominem: attacking "the character, motive, or some other attribute of the person making an argument rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself." (quote from Wikipedia) Moreover, your logic is even more fallacious because you attacked the character and motives of the interviewer, not the interviewee making the scientific claims about Emeramide.

After Dr Haley discovered the devastating effects of mercury decades ago, he has worked hard (and sacrificed much) to educate health professionals and the public about these effects, especially since mercury is still being used in medical products (dental amalgam fillings, vaccines) and still being implanted/injected into people's bodies. Dr Haley will talk to anyone, anytime, to help get the word out. Doctor of Osteopathy Mercola is a well-known critic of conventional medicine, with an Internet following in the millions. I personally do not agree with everything he says, but I would question Dr Haley's judgment if he did not accept the opportunity to use Mercola's platform to help spread the word. I wish I'd heard such information before I was poisoned by (well-meaning) dentists.

Summary #1: The founder and current CEO of EmeraMed is Haley, not Mercola. Dr Haley is a distinguished research scientist with impeccable scientific credentials, as you can see if you invest one minute in skimming his curriculum vitae:

2) Privately listed company. This argument is also fallacious. You seem to be saying that because many small startups are scams, this small startup is not worth investigating or considering. Well, that's your opinion, based on near-total ignorance of this particular company, but of course you are entitled to your opinions. My opinion is different, based on extensive due diligence including study of the PPM, which you have not seen.

Summary #2: Many small startups (and big startups like Nikola) may be scams, but not all. I know this because I have discovered one.

3) Cleansing/decontamination narrative. This argument is similar to #2. Your logic is that because some detox products are scams, therefore this one is or likely is. This is fallacious logic and shows ignorance of medical science. Heavy metal toxicity is a very real phenomenon, and Emeramide is a safe and effective detoxer of heavy metals and free radicals, as demonstrated by extensive animal testing and multiple human trials published in peer-reviewed scientific journals. The FDA is now reviewing this science, and is close to approving Emeramide for the indication of mercury toxicity. They would not be doing this if all detox products must be scams.

Summary #3: Emeramide is not like spirulina (a food with single thiols that redistribute mercury in the body more than eliminate it). Emeramide has solid science behind it.

Again thank you for your comments, which gave me the opportunity to make my case on these issues to any other readers who share your concerns.

Last edited:
PS: For anyone else doubting the science of Emeramide (aka NBMI), I posted four peer-reviewed studies on the previous page. Here are two more that I found with a Pubmed search. There are a number of others that I have seen, but can't find at the moment. Maybe this much is cluttering the thread enough.

Efficacy of N,N'bis-(2-mercaptoethyl) isophthalamide on mercury intoxication: a randomized controlled trial

Environ Health. 2018 Feb 14;17(1):15. doi: 10.1186/s12940-018-0358-1.

Authors​

Paul Schutzmeier 1 , Augusto Focil Baquerizo 2 , Wilson Castillo-Tandazo 2 , Nicholas Focil 2, Stephan Bose-O'Reilly 3 4

Affiliations​

• 1 Institute and Outpatient Clinic for Occupational, Social and Environmental Medicine, WHO Collaborating Centre for Occupational Health, University Hospital Munich, Ziemssenstr. 1, D-80336, Munich, Germany. [email protected].
  • 2 FOMAT Medical Research, Oxnard, CA, USA.
  • 3 Institute and Outpatient Clinic for Occupational, Social and Environmental Medicine, WHO Collaborating Centre for Occupational Health, University Hospital Munich, Ziemssenstr. 1, D-80336, Munich, Germany.
  • 4 Institute of Public Health, Medical Decision Making and Health Technology Assessment, Department of Public Health, Health Services Research and Health Technology Assessment, UMIT (University for Health Sciences, Medical Informatics and Technology), A-6060 Hall i.T, Innsbruck, Austria.
  • PMID: 29444690
  • PMCID: PMC5813329
  • DOI: 10.1186/s12940-018-0358-1
Free PMC article

Abstract​

Background: Chronic mercury intoxication is a severe health issue and occurs especially in gold mining communities. Common chelators used for improving mercury elimination are not everywhere available and challenged by poor cell wall penetration. This study is part of a feasibility trial and the aim was to gather first information about the efficacy of the newly developed chelator N,N'bis-(2-mercaptoethyl) isophthalamide (NBMI) on chronic mercury intoxication.
Methods: In this three-armed, placebo-controlled randomized trial, 36 miners with mercury urine levels exceeding 15 μg/l were administered 100 mg NBMI, 300 mg NBMI or placebo for 14 days. Levels of mercury in urine [μg/l and μg/g creatinine] and plasma l were analyzed. Therapeutic effect was assessed using the medical intoxication score (MIS) and its single health outcomes (e.g. excessive salivation, sleeping problems), fatigue scores, a neuromotoric test battery (CATSYS) and a neurological outcome (Finger to nose test).
Results: Physical fatigue was significantly decreased in the 300 mg NBMI group compared to the control. Mercury concentration in urine following 300 mg NBMI treatment was significantly lowered compared to control, however, this effect was less distinct with adjustment for creatinine.
Conclusion: NBMI showed an effect on physical fatigue and there were indications to positive effects on other symptoms as well. More comprehensive studies are mandatory to verify the effects of NBMI as a novel tool for treating mercury intoxications.
Trial registration: ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02486289 . Date of registration: June 24, 2015.
Keywords: Chelation therapy; Chronic mercury intoxication; Gold mining; Mercury; NBMI.

Conflict of interest statement​

Ethics approval and consent to participate​

The study protocol and study informed consent forms (ICF) were submitted to the Institutional Review Board (IRB) of the Universidad de San Francisco de Quito, Diego de Robles y Vía Interoceánica, Quito, Ecuador for review. After requested revisions the study protocol and ICF were approved in writing on 26 May 2015. The Regulatory Authorities required revisions and protocol (amendment 2) and ICF were therefore re-submitted to the IRB and approved on 27 Jul 2015.
The study protocol was amended once during the study (amendment 3, see Additional file 1) to protocol. The amendment, including ICF was submitted to the IRB and approved on 30 September 2015.
The study was performed in accordance with the ethical principles that have their origin in the Declaration of Helsinki and that are consistent with International Conference on Harmonisation/Good Clinical Practice and applicable regulatory requirements on Bioethics.

Consent for publication​

Not applicable.

Competing interests​

EmeraMed Ltd. reimbursed the author’s (Paul Schutzmeier) expenses connected with the project and the publication. The authors declare that they have no competing interests.

Publisher’s Note​

Springer Nature remains neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.

Full text links​

BioMed CentralFree PMC article

N,N'-Bis(2-mercaptoethyl)isophthalamide Binds Electrophilic Paracetamol Metabolites and Prevents Paracetamol-Induced Liver Toxicity

Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2018 Nov;123(5):589-593. doi: 10.1111/bcpt.13058. Epub 2018 Jul 9.

Authors​

Johan L Å Nilsson 1 , Anders Blomgren 1 , Ulf J Nilsson 2 , Edward D Högestätt 1 , Lars Grundemar 1

Affiliations​

• 1 Division of Clinical Chemistry and Pharmacology, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Lund University, Lund, Sweden.
  • 2 Department of Chemistry, Centre for Analysis and Synthesis, Lund University, Lund, Sweden.
  • PMID: 29908097
  • DOI: 10.1111/bcpt.13058
Free article

Abstract​

Paracetamol overdosing may cause liver injury including fulminant liver failure due to generation of the toxic metabolites, N-acetyl-p-benzoquinone imine (NAPQI) and p-benzoquinone (p-BQ). Herein, the chelating agent, N,N'-Bis(2-mercaptoethyl)isophthalamide (NBMI), was examined for its potential ability to entrap NAPQI and p-BQ and to prevent paracetamol-induced liver injury. Both NBMI and the conventional paracetamol antidote N-acetylcysteine (NAC) were investigated with regard to their abilities to scavenge the NAPQI and p-BQ in a Transient Receptor Potential Ankyrin 1-dependent screening assay. Stoichiometric evaluations indicated that NBMI was able to entrap these metabolites more efficiently than NAC. Furthermore, oral administration of either NBMI (680 mg/kg) or NAC (680 mg/kg) prevented the development of the characteristic liver necrosis and elevation of serum alanine aminotransferase in a mouse model for paracetamol-induced liver injury. In summary, these results show that NBMI is able to entrap the toxic metabolites NAPQI and p-BQ and to prevent paracetamol-induced liver injury in mice.
© 2018 Nordic Association for the Publication of BCPT (former Nordic Pharmacological Society).

• Informative
Reactions: CLK350
My background is science and engineering. When I see misinformation and illogic about things I care about, I like to correct them. Maybe I don't know how to appeal to folks guided by "feels and smells." What would you suggest to reveal my honesty?

I would recommend shutting up. Seriously Peter! By the time I get around to posting my research you'll have poisoned the well so much that whatever I say will be irrelevant.

Do you realize, you must realize, that you just wrote a really snarky comment? Maybe it makes you feel emotionally better, but you sure aren't convincing anyone.

I would recommend shutting up. Seriously Peter! By the time I get around to posting my research you'll have poisoned the well so much that whatever I say will be irrelevant.

Do you realize, you must realize, that you just wrote a really snarky comment? Maybe it makes you feel emotionally better, but you sure aren't convincing anyone.

Okay, noted. Maybe you posting your research is more credible than me posting my research. My background is not sales, so I plead guilty to ignorance about it.

Regarding my snark, he called me dishonest, citing zero evidence. I'm only human.

Geez. Based on the posts today, I got inspired and spent some time doing some "light" reading of published scientific papers. I put the link to each paper in the title of the papers below so you can follow along if you'd like.

Amelioration of Acute Mercury Toxicity by a Novel, Non-Toxic Lipid Soluble Chelator N,N′bis-(2-mercaptoethyl)isophthalamide: Effect on Animal Survival, Health, Mercury Excretion and Organ Accumulation

This 2012 paper shows the results of drug toxicity and then mercury chelation on rats. Even at very high levels, no toxicity (to the drug) was found.

For mercury, they injected these poor rats with mercury, and well, let me quote:

The most significant observation of the acute mercury exposure study was the comparison between Group 3 (“Hg only”) and the Group 4 (Hg + NBMI) treatment groups. All animals in Group 3 showed symptoms of significant discomfort by the third day after Hg injection ... In contrast to the toxic effects seen in Group 3, the animals in Group 4 (“Hg + NBMI”) that received the same HgCl2 dose as those in the Hg Only group, exhibited no signs of discomfort.

This study only evaluated the rats for a 10 day study period, so when they did biopsies, they didn't find any difference in mercury concentrations in various organs. However, you could surmise that the drug bound to the mercury rendering it less toxic. Indeed, this chart showing the effects of lethal amounts of mercury was eye opening:

1619157032490.png

By the way, there are currently no safe and effective drugs for mercury poisoning. Like none. Oh, there are a couple of drugs, but they aren't very effective and they surely aren't very safe, often causing kidney failure. Anyways, moving on.

Peter posted a number of other papers, but these were all in vitro studies. They did show dramatic chelating effects in vitro. While these are great papers for scientists trying to understand mechanisms of action, I tend to discount in vitro studies when I'm researching efficacy since human biology is too complicated to rely on cells in a petri dish to come to any firm conclusion about how it works in an entire body. Next.

Efficacy of N,N‘bis-(2-mercaptoethyl) isophthalamide on mercury intoxication: a randomized controlled trial

This is human trial with Ecuadorian gold miners who unfortunately routinely get exposed to high levels of mercury. The most indicative results from the placebo controlled study was this chart:
1619155887719.png

It shows that miners who took the drug showed significantly improved fatigue and mental scores compared to those that didn't get treated.

Based on these papers, I'm convinced that the drug works.

Next on my due diligence list is stuff that I'll need the PPM for:

- where are they in their FDA clinical trials
- full history of the company (obviously it has had a tortured path)
- patent protection
- protected (undisclosed) intellectual property (things like efficient manufacturing processes)
- financials
- management team
- addressable market size
- competition
- valuation
- estimated time to revenues

I understand that they are actively engaged with the FDA as I type and thus need to sort that out before they can update the PPM and distribute it. So it'll be a while before I can get to this stage. Incidentally, I'm not going to be able to regurgitate what's in the PPM, all I'll be able to say is my conclusions after I read it. You'd have to request the PPM yourself if you're interested.

Geez. Based on the posts today, I got inspired and spent some time doing some "light" reading of published scientific papers. I put the link to each paper in the title of the papers below so you can follow along if you'd like.

Amelioration of Acute Mercury Toxicity by a Novel, Non-Toxic Lipid Soluble Chelator N,N′bis-(2-mercaptoethyl)isophthalamide: Effect on Animal Survival, Health, Mercury Excretion and Organ Accumulation

This 2012 paper shows the results of drug toxicity and then mercury chelation on rats. Even at very high levels, no toxicity (to the drug) was found.

For mercury, they injected these poor rats with mercury, and well, let me quote:

This study only evaluated the rats for a 10 day study period, so when they did biopsies, they didn't find any difference in mercury concentrations in various organs. However, you could surmise that the drug bound to the mercury rendering it less toxic. Indeed, this chart showing the effects of lethal amounts of mercury was eye opening:

View attachment 656211

By the way, there are currently no safe and effective drugs for mercury poisoning. Like none. Oh, there are a couple of drugs, but they aren't very effective and they surely aren't very safe, often causing kidney failure. Anyways, moving on.

Peter posted a number of other papers, but these were all in vitro studies. They did show dramatic chelating effects in vitro. While these are great papers for scientists trying to understand mechanisms of action, I tend to discount in vitro studies when I'm researching efficacy since human biology is too complicated to rely on cells in a petri dish to come to any firm conclusion about how it works in an entire body. Next.

Efficacy of N,N‘bis-(2-mercaptoethyl) isophthalamide on mercury intoxication: a randomized controlled trial

This is human trial with Ecuadorian gold miners who unfortunately routinely get exposed to high levels of mercury. The most indicative results from the placebo controlled study was this chart:
View attachment 656208
It shows that miners who took the drug showed significantly improved fatigue and mental scores compared to those that didn't get treated.

Based on these papers, I'm convinced that the drug works.

Next on my due diligence list is stuff that I'll need the PPM for:

- where are they in their FDA clinical trials
- full history of the company (obviously it has had a tortured path)
- patent protection
- protected (undisclosed) intellectual property (things like efficient manufacturing processes)
- financials
- management team
- addressable market size
- competition
- valuation
- estimated time to revenues

I understand that they are actively engaged with the FDA as I type and thus need to sort that out before they can update the PPM and distribute it. So it'll be a while before I can get to this stage. Incidentally, I'm not going to be able to regurgitate what's in the PPM, all I'll be able to say is my conclusions after I read it. You'd have to request the PPM yourself if you're interested.

Devil's advocate here - since I used to write and edit papers like this.

1) those error bars on the miners . . . they don't inspire confidence. Were P-value calculations undertaken?
2) where are the in vivo TISSUE studies? THAT would be definitive evidence for this drug working - to show a reduction in humans or other primates in saturated tissues

ok . . . back to bed for me. post-midnight musings after reading your post. Thank you for the deep dive.

Perhaps the Chelation band should audit the wiki entry for their hero: Boyd Haley - Wikipedia

The narrative kind of differs from that offered here: it seems he does not respond to FDA letters and his science claims are reputed by the US Public Health Service and the American Dental Association. And a judge said he lacked expertise sufficient to supply expert testimony in such matters. Doesn't come across as impeccable or distinguished.

His university bio does not say much that I can see pertaining to chelation... wonder why? Boyd Haley | Chemistry
Perhaps that part of his life is not so distinguished?

Forbes article: Another Hero Of The Anti-Vaccine Movement Bites The Dust

Wow, this guy sure has a strong opinion: Professor Boyd Haley

Seems to be a copy of FDA letter here: Pumping autistic children full of an industrial chelator (revisited) | ScienceBlogs

Interesting website name here: Boyd Haley Ordered to Stop Illegal Marketing of OSR#1 | Quackwatch

I hereby suggest that the mods henceforth strike down further promotion of this product, company, and potentially those that undertake such actions directly or indirectly!

Last edited:
Reactions: LightngMcQueen
Devil's advocate here - since I used to write and edit papers like this.

1) those error bars on the miners . . . they don't inspire confidence. Were P-value calculations undertaken?

Well, yes! It's a real paper. I gave links, I suggest a quick skim at least.

1619186848681.png

And you are correct, only one result has a significant p value. I knew I was going to get in trouble when I said the papers convinced me that it works. What I meant was that it convinced me enough to do more due diligence into the company itself. In the end, it matters not what any of us think of the compound, what matters is what the FDA thinks of it since this company has been trying to market it as a prescription drug.

2) where are the in vivo TISSUE studies? THAT would be definitive evidence for this drug working - to show a reduction in humans or other primates in saturated tissues

ok . . . back to bed for me. post-midnight musings after reading your post. Thank you for the deep dive.

Uh, you aren't going to find in vivo human studies. You might find destructive animal studies. As I said, they have done in vitro studies clearly showing mechanism of action. It seems is takes many months for the body to get rid of the chelated compound.

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke
Does anybody have any thoughts about ticker ASTI? A fellow I know in the solar industry recommended it 2 days ago to me. Not doing any research at all, I bought a measly $1,000 worth at $0.0209 yet here it is 2 days later up 30%. Damn, should have bought more!
Can't really find a lot of info on them other than them being a thin film solar company. One thing I will say is that there are 18B outstanding shares, they currently have a market cap of $550M, and that the stock is up 27,000% over the last 52 weeks. It could be something you make money on but I couldn't tell you why the stock should go up at this point. There are a lot of companies like this in the last year in the green energy and legal cannabis sectors... hard to tell them apart honestly.

• Informative
Reactions: gene and bkp_duke
Perhaps the Chelation band should audit the wiki entry for their hero: Boyd Haley - Wikipedia

The narrative kind of differs from that offered here: it seems he does not respond to FDA letters and his science claims are reputed by the US Public Health Service and the American Dental Association. And a judge said he lacked expertise sufficient to supply expert testimony in such matters. Doesn't come across as impeccable or distinguished.

As I stated before, his supplements company was undercapitalized and he did not have the money to fight the FDA. I understand the FDA gave them a quit claim letter once they stopped manufacturing the drug. Wikipedia is not god, and, in this case, is incorrect. They did, verbally, contact and talk with the FDA. The matter was settled even if wikipedia doesn't know about it.

And yes, Haley believes that the preservative Thimerosal, which contains Mercury, is harmful to new born infants and adults (although he also believes that only certain adults are more sensitive to mercury exposure than others). And yes, this is the vaccines causes autism controversy. And before you jump up and down screaming pseudo science, you should know that Thimerosal has now been banned in childhood vaccines and is only used now in some flu vaccines. To those that still don't believe the thimersosal/autism link, I would ask YOU for a double blind study showing lack of causation.

As for my beliefs, I simply don't know. It is plausible and warrants more research, but is now largely moot since it has been banned.

For exhibit A on how large companies can continue selling products with obvious health problems, I give you the tobacco industry. For exhibit B, I give you the alcohol industry. Beware of large industry groups touting their products that were invented in the early 1900s are "safe". They've had 100 years to accumulate political power.

I hereby suggest that the mods henceforth strike down further promotion of this product, company, and potentially those that undertake such actions directly or indirectly!

After the very many, and research free, I might add, touts of very questionable public company stocks in this forum, your suggestion is rather laughable.

As far as bad news article are concerned, gawd, haven't you learned anything from reading all the negative Tesla press over the years? It means nothing. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the links (actual research!), I just don't put much stock in it.

I'll continue posting actual research for as long as the mods let me.