Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The question on the conf call was "is this a real business opportunity for Tesla, supplying cars for ride-sharing firms or does Tesla just cut out the middle man and sell on demand electric mobility services directly on its own platform?". This can be interpreted in many ways. Sure one of them would link this to full auto driving but there's many more that don't require that. All we know is they might be thinking about some venture in that space.

I don't want to discount Tesla's engineering prowess but catching up to parity with existing stuff is a bit different than solving a humongous problem that fully autonomous driving is.

So bottom line, sure there are some early indications but I'm a lot more cautious on this than some of you guys. So far what I see is we don't know with any level of certainty if Tesla is even trying to go after solving this problem, and even if they do there are other players that might get there first.

As with any tech problem like that there's also the danger of "few guys in the garage" that come up with a breakthrough technology.

Tesla is working with Mobileye . Tesla is applying Mobileye 's vision chip and algorithms
To its camera sensors coupled with radar and ultrasound which in turn
guide the car's driving path and breaks. Mobileye was founded
around the year 2000.

Mobileyes solution is the most comprehensive and cheapest by far.
Camera vision is the most comprehensive and data rich far surpassing
radar and ultrasound. Digital cameras are cheap, a few dollars apiece.
Apparently 8 cameras will totally cover a car field of vision.

Artificial intelligence algorithms have been developed for quasi total
comprehension of what visually lies ahead. Dedicated digital processors
were developed by Mobileye to handle the computational requirements
in real time. Their iq4 chip is soon to be released, tesla is
using the iq3 chip set at present.

Mobileye sells its chip/algorithm to practically all manufacturers , primarily
through tier 1 intermediaries. Tesla is the only manufacturer that
Deals directly with Mobileye and figures on its own how to integrate
their solution to its cars . Tesla application will be unique to tesla
though powered by Mobileye.

Over 80 million cars are manufactured yearly. Mobileyes solution
is the cheapest and most comprehensive , and will take
a huge market share .

How do I know all this stuff? I listened to mobileye's presentation
on their website.

Amnon Shashua the founder of Mobileye, an MIT phd , is probably
the world highest authority in computer vision artificial intelligence.
Amnon is a scientist , professor , engineer and entrepreneur, and his
Mobileye stock holding exceed a billion dollars.

Last edited:
That sounds like: "Mobileye is the most amazing wonderful super company, they will be eternally mega-successful. How do I know? Mobileye told me."

Might take their own horn-blowing with a pinch of salt.

Camera vision is great except a) in the dark b) when it's snowing c) when it's raining. Then radar etc steps in as complementary technology.

That sounds like: "Mobileye is the most amazing wonderful super company, they will be eternally mega-successful. How do I know? Mobileye told me."

Might take their own horn-blowing with a pinch of salt.

Camera vision is great except a) in the dark b) when it's snowing c) when it's raining. Then radar etc steps in as complementary technology.

Elon decided Mobileye was the way to go, do you think he is also took the "Mobileye told me so" approach.

please stop pumping this stock, without backing up your hypothesis with some facts.

NVAX: Summary for Novavax, Inc.- Yahoo! Canada Finance

Thread comments on this company:
P 98 I share some of my research and thoughts. Some facts.
p.98 link to company expansion (fact)
P. 101 link to previous IR presentation (fact)
p 102 comment of share price rise (fact)
p 103 offer to share more info to those interested
p 105 trial data and press release link (fact)
p 106 Ebola (fact)
p 106 Nasdaq holdings link (fact)
p 108 major holders (fact)

Ocelot,
I'm not sure I understand your comments.
While it can certainly be understood your comments on pumping, I've predominantly posted facts. I do want this company and stock price to do well.
The last time I posted was the day they announced nearly 90M funding from the Gates foundation, Positive trial results for RSV, and they had their annual investor/analyst day in NYC with live webcast.
Investor presentation of the webcast here: http://novavax.com/presentation.show
The presentation has data to back up anything I might have ever thought or shared about NVAX anywhere.
One is certainly welcome to not accept such things as facts.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of GPRO? It's really battered at this point, with a similar short percentage of float as Tesla, and is currently undergoing similar manipulations as Tesla is from analysts like Adam Jonas. The company is still doing well, there have been some minor bumps like poor Session sales that has made the stock overreact, but now it's trading at a dirt cheap Forward P/E of ~14. I have a feeling that maybe an analyst or two will jump on the bandwagon and create a very nice long term buying opportunity for the smart investor. Remember what happened to TSLA, once we had the original short squeeze, shorts have been attracted to TSLA with ease, which provides support when TSLA falls. The same could happen with GPRO as all the current short interest could be squeezed out by almost any positive news.

What do you guys think of GPRO? It's really battered at this point, with a similar short percentage of float as Tesla, and is currently undergoing similar manipulations as Tesla is from analysts like Adam Jonas. The company is still doing well, there have been some minor bumps like poor Session sales that has made the stock overreact, but now it's trading at a dirt cheap Forward P/E of ~14. I have a feeling that maybe an analyst or two will jump on the bandwagon and create a very nice long term buying opportunity for the smart investor. Remember what happened to TSLA, once we had the original short squeeze, shorts have been attracted to TSLA with ease, which provides support when TSLA falls. The same could happen with GPRO as all the current short interest could be squeezed out by almost any positive news.

I hope so... Holding 500 shares with a $55 cost basis.

I was in/out of GPRO early. I am not smart enough to find a large moat that the company has to protect it from other action camera makers. I admit I may take another look now that you mention it as it has been beaten down quite a lot and with the holidays coming soon it might have some nice surprise beat because of those holiday sales.

I was thinking Tesla's implementation of autopilot might be a long-term negative for MBLY. It seems like the fleet learning and database will ultimately be the most important and I don't think this has any MBLY software involved. So they may be relegated to just being hardware suppliers and not a "full autonomous solution". I could be wrong.

I was thinking Tesla's implementation of autopilot might be a long-term negative for MBLY. It seems like the fleet learning and database will ultimately be the most important and I don't think this has any MBLY software involved. So they may be relegated to just being hardware suppliers and not a "full autonomous solution". I could be wrong.

From what I understand the architecture of the system is layered and MBLY's biggest role is a layer or more below the one that actually makes driving decisions. MBLY's core competency is to interpret and understand the environment.

I agree, SolarEdge is probably undervalued now. Its stock has taken a big beating recently, and now might be the time to buy.

Not only is it well positioned to take advantage of the Powerwall, but it is the best technology on solar installs.

The only problem with it is that it is a solar stock, and the federal incentives are expiring, so that will weigh on the stock.