Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a modest position in FDS (FactSet Research Systems) and have been starting to think of selling. Their Tesla Q4 delivery estimates were higher than generally expected (including guidance from Tesla) and yet were used on Wall Street to claim a "miss" by Tesla. What I found frustrating is that these estimates were at the same time questionable, opaque, and used as sort of a "gold standard" on Wall Street.

I'm questioning whether FactSet's processes have inherent weaknesses that open the door to abuse. Or maybe there's nothing really wrong with FactSet per se, and there just happens to have been some very clever manipulation in this particular case. TSLA is quite highly shorted, after all. Or maybe there was an honest mistake or difference of opinion.

In general, when an organization severely mis-handles something that I'm very familiar with, this causes me to question their overall credibility. For example, the "Broder incident" in 2013 (John Broder was caught with his pants down trying to sabotage his long distance Tesla test drive) did not help my view of the New York Times, and my view of the NYT only worsened when they appointed Broder to their editorial board a year or two ago.

Any thoughts?

PG&E claims they will file for bankruptcy. Stock tanked, but only 50% (not zero). Did it not plunge near 0 only because some people do not believe them?
Some people see companies like GM that went bankrupt but still exist and have a reasonable share price, and they misunderstand that it's not actually the same company, and all the existing shareholders at the time were totally wiped out.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: gene and mongo
Interesting. If they're solvent, it would be a crime of violating fiduciary responsibility for the directors to file for bankruptcy. The filing basically states that they can't continue operations, not that it will hurt.

Is this correct:
If the valuation includes necessary assets, then they could still have net value after payouts, but not outside of liquidation.
In other words, if PGE sold themselves to someone else, there would be sufficient funds to pay the suits with some leftover for shares, but PGE does not have access to that capital directly (unless they mortgage their assets)

branching way OT:
Didn't that sapphire glass company that was trying to get Apple business file on questionable logic?

Moderator input: This post originated in a standalone "NVIDIA" thread that has been merged into this thread

I used to own this stock and sold it awhile back. Also TSLA is making it's own chips so not sure if NVDA is worth getting into again. Seems cheap.