Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Backlash is inevitable and happens everytime with large company investments or moves. I remember when Boeing HQ moved to Chicago. Left many people angry on both sides.
Yes - but this time there is a big Target on Bezos - as in "why are we subsidizing Bezos Helipad while at the same time increasing subway ticket prices" ?

This time, its different. I don't remember IL senators criticizing the Boeing move. When you have a neo-liberal like Gillibrand joining AOC, you know the trouble is in the air.

HQ2.PNG

Yes - but this time there is a big Target on Bezos - as in "why are we subsidizing Bezos Helipad while at the same time increasing subway ticket prices" ?

This time, its different. I don't remember IL senators criticizing the Boeing move. When you have a neo-liberal like Gillibrand joining AOC, you know the trouble is in the air.

View attachment 353344

You definitely have a point.

Either way remember hold for long term is the only way you should "play" the stock market.

I think any sensible financial enthusiast would agree that there are plenty of ways to skin the cat; the only real constant in the right vs wrong columns of general financial advice is that opportunity and risk be well researched before taking a position.

To wit, ‘buy and hold’ is terrible advice to a novice who doesn’t understand the context.

Last edited:
Beyond meat has filed for an IPO

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

What do you guys think of it as a sustainibility play beside Tesla? Been hearing a lot of people becoming vegetarians around me lately.
n=1, I liked their patties. It seemed my vegan friends enjoyed it also when I cooked it.

We will see how plant based vs lab grown develops. Might invest a little into them as it is a fun stock to monitor.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Beyond meat has filed for an IPO

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

What do you guys think of it as a sustainibility play beside Tesla? Been hearing a lot of people becoming vegetarians around me lately.
In Canada, A&W restaurants (fast food for those of you not in North America) sells its burgers and my family and I go there for them every 1-2 weeks as a treaat for the kids. They are very tasty - just as good as meat burgers. They are very popular and ran out of product (demand was way higher than expected) and were out of stock for a few weeks until they could get more from the company.

I think this is the future of meat products personally. Eventually this “vegan meat” will be cheaper than real meat and if it tastes just as good and is better for the environment and your health, I see a transition to it like electric cars from ICE.

There are other companies of course in this field like Impossible Burger but Beyond Meat as far as I know would be the first to IPO.

Wow, AMZN is taking big hits. Bad PR for NY HQ2 move etc. Damnit...
All of tech is taking big hits, besides TSLA.

Thought I'd be smart and got in NVDA at $167 after 19% drop, but sold today at $154 'cause it didn't hold $160 support. For all we know it can go back to $130-$120.

Best to stay out of FAANG if you're not in yet until the storm has passed.

View attachment 353344

Calculations from the NY budget office expects to receive $9 for every $1 in tax breaks given to Amazon. If they did not give them the benefit, someone else would, and those jobs would be lost for that state.

Reactions: mongo
Regarding AMZN:
I closely followed the structure of the incentives that Nevada provided to Tesla when negotiating for obtaining the Gigafactory location. As someone who for over thirty years has been unrelentingly critical of tax incentives for corporate re-locations, I was refreshingly pleased at the responsible ways in which the state ensured its carrots were matched step by step with sticks, and that Tesla did have to meet goal after goal in order to obtain the subsequent plum.

I have not looked at any of the details of the NY-AMZN or VA-AMZN deals. Has anyone good information on these, or seen a sobsersided analysis of same that I could investigate? Lloyd's mention of the 9:1 ratio is a start, but only just a tiny step and in itself not more than a "trust me, this is good for us" statement.

Reactions: GOVA
Calculations from the NY budget office expects to receive $9 for every $1 in tax breaks given to Amazon. If they did not give them the benefit, someone else would, and those jobs would be lost for that state.
Receive what ? Tax dollars from new wages ?

NY should start a new trust that will receive all this extra $9 - with a clearly spelt out way of spending/investing this money on local (current) residents. Otherwise its all just fluff with unknown beneficiaries.

update : Remember "economic benefit" is nebulous. Infact, it can be downright bad - if one of the "benefits" is the rent raises on everyone.

Last edited:
I kind of like the idea of Beyond Meat and investigated a bit today, and I'll certainly have a close look at the IPO. I'll be optimistic and say they have the potential for a market cap of beyond $2 billion.

FORM S-1 REGISTRATION STATEMENT: Document
Video by HyperChange on Beyond Meat:

You should probably only invest in a stock where you love the products. Objections:
  • I like meat
  • More importantly, I like milk and butter. I think drinking milk and not eating meat is being inconsistent.
  • I don't like industrialized food.
  • I'm wary of missing nutrients in a purely plant based diet. It's doable, but much harder.
From an environmental perspective, my personal path would be to simply eat 2/3 less meat instead of becoming vegan, and be very selective where the meat is grown. I currently eat 95% or more organic food.

I kind of like the idea of Beyond Meat and investigated a bit today, and I'll certainly have a close look at the IPO. I'll be optimistic and say they have the potential for a market cap of beyond $2 billion.

FORM S-1 REGISTRATION STATEMENT: Document
Video by HyperChange on Beyond Meat:

You should probably only invest in a stock where you love the products. Objections:
  • I like meat
  • More importantly, I like milk and butter. I think drinking milk and not eating meat is being inconsistent.
  • I don't like industrialized food.
  • I'm wary of missing nutrients in a purely plant based diet. It's doable, but much harder.
From an environmental perspective, my personal path would be to simply eat 2/3 less meat instead of becoming vegan, and be very selective where the meat is grown. I currently eat 95% or more organic food.

In this case, I think consistency is very hard and probably counter-productive. It's 5 years I'm not a pure "omnivore", I do eat fish from time to time, and occasionally I taste some meat dish, but 90% of my diet is plant based, the rest is diary. I'm here for the long-term, so occasional cheating is (in my view) permitted if it makes my life much more bearable (if you truly miss some meaty comfort food, eat it sometimes, then go back).

I love that Beyond Meat and others are going in the direction of replacing juicy, tasty hamburgers with juicy, tasty plant-based ones. This is good on many levels: ethical, environmental, and health. I think this kind of market will grow more and more, meat (or similar) without slaughter will be a no-brainer in the future.

Beyond Meat is interesting and I think it takes us in the right direction, but I'm concerned that its high product prices may constrain it to remain a niche product. In the US, the Beyond Burger sells for $5.99 for 8 ounces (227 grams), far more than the chicken and turkey we normally buy.

I also have concerns about the burgers themselves. It doesn't appear that people actually think they taste better than meat burgers (admittedly, I haven't yet tried them myself). I'm concerned that, with all of the processing that's required to produce these burgers, they may not be as nutritious as lean meat burgers.

For me to buy their stock at/after the IPO, I'd like either (1) or (2), below, to be true:

1. The "average" consumer agrees that Beyond Meat products are more desirable than meat products. In this case, there should be a very large addressable market even if the product is somewhat expensive.

2. The "average" consumer finds Beyond Meat to be comparable to meat in terms of desirability. In this case, Beyond Meat could still win if they can sell their products at very competitive prices.

So, I think I'll pass, and hope for continued innovation before investing our own funds.

Beyond Meat is interesting and I think it takes us in the right direction, but I'm concerned that its high product prices may constrain it to remain a niche product. In the US, the Beyond Burger sells for $5.99 for 8 ounces (227 grams), far more than the chicken and turkey we normally buy.

I also have concerns about the burgers themselves. It doesn't appear that people actually think they taste better than meat burgers (admittedly, I haven't yet tried them myself). I'm concerned that, with all of the processing that's required to produce these burgers, they may not be as nutritious as lean meat burgers.

For me to buy their stock at/after the IPO, I'd like either (1) or (2), below, to be true:

1. The "average" consumer agrees that Beyond Meat products are more desirable than meat products. In this case, there should be a very large addressable market even if the product is somewhat expensive.

2. The "average" consumer finds Beyond Meat to be comparable to meat in terms of desirability. In this case, Beyond Meat could still win if they can sell their products at very competitive prices.

So, I think I'll pass, and hope for continued innovation before investing our own funds.
We get the patties from Target when we want burgers at home now. The taste is slightly different than a meat patty, but not in a bad way and I actually like it. So it's a check mark for your 1 and 2 and I would definitely like to invest in the company.......we got to have someone making products like these so that when one day the Earth is so warm they have to cut back on the meat industry, we can still enjoy a comparable tasty burger. :)

How big is the vegan market ?

I think a comparable company is Quest. They started with low carb protein bars - and now make all kinds of things. For eg. they recently started making pizzas sold only through Target - and you can hardly ever find them in stock there. Whenever I find them in stock, I just buy the whole bunch. Pizzas are more expensive than normal, taste kind of okay - but are low carb like no other available product. Quest even thinks of themselves as a tech company rather than a packaged food company.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile