Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator input: This post originated in a standalone "NVIDIA" thread that has been merged into this thread

I used to own this stock and sold it awhile back. Also TSLA is making it's own chips so not sure if NVDA is worth getting into again. Seems cheap.
I used to also but sold when tesla announced they were developing own chip. Tesla a very small part of their revenue so I don’t believe it will have much effect on their revenue. I remember reading that decreased bit coin mining affected them more. Is their a risk other car OEMs will use tesla chip? I doubt it they are allergic to tesla products. How many are using supercharger network....none

You lucky bastard. I suspect it’s just due to the Bloomberg article. They even did a frigging video on it. All for a $45m market cap stock (well, $90m now). What on earth made you buy them 3 days ago, and why didn’t you tell us :)
I can't even remember why I bought the shares. I think I was bored staring at TSLA not moving. I saw a picture of their Porsche Speedster EV replica and just wanted to buy some stock. I simply had the urge to push the "BUY" button. I bought 1500 shares at $1.25. Figured if it went to zero who cares!.Two days later wham! But I am kicking myself, I sold at at +50% and it closed over 200% !!!!!!!

I will tell you, if you want to take a chance, I have put $10k into the pre-IPO for SHE Beverage company. It's a total whim. I like the story, a brewery run by female latinas and African Americans. They have some business background and past successes. A friend of mine put in $25k, so I bought $10k worth.

• Funny
Reactions: pz1975
Just cashed out of my relatively modest NIO position (again) at about $10/share. That was a fast run-up. While it may run further, I'm more concerned that investors have piled in simply because they've been seeing it as an alternative to TSLA and all of its attendant negative coverage. Looking at the fundamentals, TSLA seems like a much better buy right now. If NIO comes back down, I may re-buy.

Reactions: palmer_md
Just cashed out of my relatively modest NIO position (again) at about $10/share. That was a fast run-up. While it may run further, I'm more concerned that investors have piled in simply because they've been seeing it as an alternative to TSLA and all of its attendant negative coverage. Looking at the fundamentals, TSLA seems like a much better buy right now. If NIO comes back down, I may re-buy.
That was prescient.

How big is the vegan market ?

I think a comparable company is Quest. They started with low carb protein bars - and now make all kinds of things. For eg. they recently started making pizzas sold only through Target - and you can hardly ever find them in stock there. Whenever I find them in stock, I just buy the whole bunch. Pizzas are more expensive than normal, taste kind of okay - but are low carb like no other available product. Quest even thinks of themselves as a tech company rather than a packaged food company.

ya. Low car high protein is the new fad. Keto diet. It is very hard to find food that's fit for Keto though. Pea protein was actually the best choice for a healthy diet that I've also concluded. However, the taste and texture left things to be desired. Beyond meat solves that problem. So I am going to invest in it. Vegan and the Keto diet crowd are huge.

ya. Low car high protein is the new fad. Keto diet. It is very hard to find food that's fit for Keto though. Pea protein was actually the best choice for a healthy diet that I've also concluded. However, the taste and texture left things to be desired. Beyond meat solves that problem. So I am going to invest in it. Vegan and the Keto diet crowd are huge.
Keto is a terrible long-term dietary strategy unless you are doing it for medical reasons (medication-resistant epilepsy). It is a fad and will fade away in time. I realize this is way OT and doesn’t belong here (I won’t post anymore on this) but I wanted to post this once to try to convince anyone considering keto to do REAL research and due diligence into it before starting. Don’t just read the superficial articles and follow the ignorant, uneducated pushers.

Vegan is an excellent choice if done properly (enough protein and supplementing missing vitamins).

Keto is a terrible long-term dietary strategy unless you are doing it for medical reasons (medication-resistant epilepsy). It is a fad and will fade away in time. I realize this is way OT and doesn’t belong here (I won’t post anymore on this) but I wanted to post this once to try to convince anyone considering keto to do REAL research and due diligence into it before starting. Don’t just read the superficial articles and follow the ignorant, uneducated pushers.

Vegan is an excellent choice if done properly (enough protein and supplementing missing vitamins).

My only problem with vegan and vegetarian diet so far is too much soy. Especially the imitation products.

I’ve also considered investing in Beyond Meat, but I am unsure whether their products are actually any healthier than eating turkey or chicken burgers. Vegan “meat” seems to rely heavily on coconut oil, which is high in saturated fat. Is it much healthier to get saturated fat from palm trees (coconut oil and palm oil) versus consuming the same amount of saturated fat from meat sources? It may be, but I don’t know if there’s good data on this. Further, turkey and chicken white meat can be quite lean.

I bring this up because I think I would need to be convinced as a consumer to start paying extra for Beyond Meat products before I would put investment dollars toward that company. I think many consumers are like me in that, while they will likely not become strict vegans, they can appreciate the benefits of many vegan foods.

• Informative
Reactions: aubreymcfato
I’ve also considered investing in Beyond Meat, but I am unsure whether their products are actually any healthier than eating turkey or chicken burgers. Vegan “meat” seems to rely heavily on coconut oil, which is high in saturated fat. Is it much healthier to get saturated fat from palm trees (coconut oil and palm oil) versus consuming the same amount of saturated fat from meat sources? It may be, but I don’t know if there’s good data on this. Further, turkey and chicken white meat can be quite lean.

I bring this up because I think I would need to be convinced as a consumer to start paying extra for Beyond Meat products before I would put investment dollars toward that company. I think many consumers are like me in that, while they will likely not become strict vegans, they can appreciate the benefits of many vegan foods.

It's true. But I was only weighing the benefit of beyond beef. The one with tiny amount of fat. We'll have to see how much mass production can lower the cost. Seems like it is double the price of what they are selling their products at right now.

I'm just going to give my .02 (it's probably worth slightly less than that, what I'm charging for it) on Uber with its upcoming IPO. I'd stay far away unless to make a quick buy/sell on the initial hype or *gasp* short the stock after the initial jump if there is one. This is based off of only my personal experiences and following them closely for the last 3 years:

-the corporate culture seems completely out of touch with the reality of their drivers, without whom they won't exist
-their customer service makes Tesla seem like Michelin star Japanese restaurant, for both passengers and drivers
-beyond the name recognition, what's the moat/advantage? They're still "buying" new drivers with initial bonuses and boosting ridership with incentives
-I've already visited two countries where they aren't allowed to operate, I could easily see more regulation/exclusion in this industry
-all the baloney that made the news over the past several years, which has been addressed to a degree but more in name than practice
-120 billion possible valuation? :rolleyes: Just about anyone who posts on this forum probably will already be skeptical in my experience.
-Wall Street will pump this to lure people in based on the name

As always, not an advice, practice your own due diligence.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and abasile
My thoughts regarding Uber and Lyft. They are all in a race to the bottom with drivers/riders having less and less friction switching. Competition is already fierce with Summon,Grab, Gojek etc in many countries and Waymo, TSLA and other entrants ready to enter the market with better access to peoples phones, trust and production of electrical cars.

So even today when they don’t face strong competition they are losing market share and money hoping that once Waymo or Tesla has solved FSD they will somehow finally become profitable. Imo they mostly interesting as an aquistion from another company such as Apple, Google, Amazon etc.

• Love
Reactions: neroden