Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the puck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received a set of BASENOR pucks. The post is slightly too tall for my Y. Are there any concerns with a bit of extra pressure on the inside-the-hole part of the jack point? (is that small spot somewhat load-bearing?)

(I could chop it down a bit but I feel a custom product should work as-is.)

Tesla QJ pads.jpg

Unlike the widely available pucks that cover a wide area outside the jacking socket's thin aluminum metal, mine is raised around a 1-1/2 inch circle within the socket's perimeter.

To protect my car from racks and lifts at tire stores, I'm considering making the same adapters with 6 inch in diameter 1/4 inch thick 7075 aluminum plates and insist that they be used there. Or maybe I'll just uses the ones that I made for the Quick Jack.

Last edited:
Reactions: EatsShoots
Any set of pucks designed for the original Model S will have 20mm posts. You have to be sure that they are not 25mm, since later Model S' came with 25mm socket adapters.

Apparently, most of these China made adapters follow the conventional wisdom of the first makers.

I have a small supply of 1.75 inch diameter rare blue UHMW PE (Spectra) rod. I'm seriously considering on making pucks with that and thin 6011 aluminum disks for my personal use that is based on detail engineering of the Tesla socket.

Both UHMW PE and POM (Delrin) are the preferred materials for high usage industrial production environments due to their resilience to wear and long term durability.

Unfortunately, most makers prefer cheap rubber and urethane, since most buyers purchase the least expensive.

Thanks.

Where does one buy pucks with a 20mm hole. Looking on Amazon, it seems sellers are oblivious to the smaller holed Y models.
Yes, this happened to me. I bought a set of lift pucks off of Amazon last week that were not correctly labeled, as they DO NOT FIT into the smaller hole that is on the Austin-build Model Y's with the structural battery pack and the newer 4680 battery cells. Had to return 'em today.

Until recently, the Austin-build MY could be ordered from the Tesla website, and were sold as "Model Y AWD, 279-mile range" Speculation is that it is out of the catalog now to free up more 4680 cells for the Cybertruck which will go into higher production rates during 4Q2023.

Noticed the marketing of nearly all of the puck sellers on Amazon is to claim their product will fit 2023 Model Y's, when clearly, they will not fit the Austin-build Model Y's (w the 0.790 inch diameter hole), but will the legacy Fremont-build Model Y's that use the older 2170 lithium-ion battery cells (w a 1-inch hole at the lift point in the chassis). Diff designs; diff jack lift pads required.

Last edited:
Yes; the Austin built Tesla Model Y (the one with the single piece rear casting and the 4680 battery cells) appears to have a 20mm hole at each of the 4 lift points; other Tesla Model Y have a 25mm hole at each of the lift points.
Having measured (using a caliper) my Austin Build Model Y that I picked up new 3 weeks ago, I'm calling BS on the 20mm hole.

Having measured (using a caliper) my Austin Build Model Y that I picked up new 3 weeks ago, I'm calling BS on the 20mm hole.
Well, then your call is incorrect.

I have an Austin-build Model Y, and I measured the hole in the frame this morning with a caliper. I got 0.790 inches (which would convert to 20.07 mm). So I can assure you that my two-week old Model Y AWD (279 mile range), with an Austin confirmation letter in the VIN has 20 mm holes.

Does your VIN number have an "A" or an "F" in the 7th position from the end? A is Austin; F is Fremont; also, did you purchase the 279 mile version? or the "Long Range" version w 331 mile range?

Only the 279 mile versions use the new structural battery pack and the 4860 battery cells.

I assure you, you are wrong. My May delivery, Austin built MY has 20mm holes.
I'm happy to see someone else be public with the dimensions of the smaller holes on (some) Austin builds. Which particular version Model Y is yours?

These are the three configurations available in Inventory in the Denver area as of today, so they can be had before 30 September w good discounts as Tesla typically wants to sell max inventory at the end of a fiscal quarter.
• "Performance All-Wheel Drive"
• "Long Range All-Wheel Drive"
• "Model Y All-Wheel Drive"

My new MY with 20 mm holes at the chassis jack points is the Model Y All-Wheel Drive, currently being sold w a 279 mile range. I believe the first two are still being made with the 2170 cells and the older style of battery pack, even if they are manufactured in Austin. Also, to date, those two have never been manufactured with the newer batt pack & cells. While ALL 279 mile range MY's sold to date have the structural battery pack and use the newer 4860 cells, and are only mfd at Austin.

Here’s a pretty cost effective option
Ziploc Gallon Food Storage Slider Bags, Power Shield Technology for More Durability, 26 Count (Pack of 4) Amazon.com
I went with four of these.

IMG_1051.jpeg

I'm happy to see someone else be public with the dimensions of the smaller holes on (some) Austin builds. Which particular version Model Y is yours?
The basic Model Y all wheel drive built in Austin April 2023, I took delivery in May.

As I understand it, only Austin built MY’s have the smaller 20mm hole. The smaller hole started with the February builds, I have no idea what they do today.

The LR and P models were not built in Austin, they have the larger holes.

Does anyone know why the went with the smaller hole? Even if the battery changed why was the hole size changed?

Well, then your call is incorrect.

I have an Austin-build Model Y, and I measured the hole in the frame this morning with a caliper. I got 0.790 inches (which would convert to 20.07 mm). So I can assure you that my two-week old Model Y AWD (279 mile range), with an Austin confirmation letter in the VIN has 20 mm holes.

Does your VIN number have an "A" or an "F" in the 7th position from the end? A is Austin; F is Fremont; also, did you purchase the 279 mile version? or the "Long Range" version w 331 mile range?

Only the 279 mile versions use the new structural battery pack and the 4860 battery cells.
Mine is an Austin build. Thanks for measuring that hole.
So maybe ONLY the Model Y AWD (base model) has the 20 mm hole.

Reactions: A2be
The basic Model Y all wheel drive built in Austin April 2023, I took delivery in May.

As I understand it, only Austin built MY’s have the smaller 20mm hole. The smaller hole started with the February builds, I have no idea what they do today.

The LR and P models were not built in Austin, they have the larger holes.

Does anyone know why the went with the smaller hole? Even if the battery changed why was the hole size changed?

That would be incorrect.

My MYLR was built in Austin, as verified by my VIN#, delivered early September 2023, and has 25 mm holes.
I'm starting to believe ONLY the MY AWD (or standard model) has the 20 mm hole. Why I don't know.